• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Beautiful lasagna.

if I try to grow the non-juicy type of tomatoes such as Roma and san marzano they tend to get terrible blossom end rot no matter how hard I try.  If I want those kind we generally go to Keremeos in the fall to the multiple veggie stalls and buy a box for next to nothing.

i have used high quality canned Italian san Marzanos and that makes a big difference..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Bought some chickpea flour a year ago to thicken mulligatawny soup. Only need a few tablespoons at a time, so I decided to make veggie pakoras for the first time tonight to use up some of the flour. Very delicious. 

Would be most interested in your mulligatawny soup recipe if you would share?

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

belated happy Anniversary, Ann_T! It's our 52nd tomorrow...we'll be spending it watching the arborist cutting down a few trees in the yard. Will be expensive entertainment!

Side pork ribs slow and low in foil in the oven for a couple of hours followed by a brushing of  BBQ sauce and hot charring on the BBQ.                                                

1500862659_RibsCornandHashbrowns6122.jpg.af503a5819cf6e4829f2372a8678956a.jpg

Tonight was the first time I've ever tried black garlic. Bought a container in a Chinese supermarket and it's been waiting for me for many moons!!
I just didn't know what to do with it (bought on ex-son-in-law's urging).
Finally googled and decided to try it on something simple.

I pureed 2 big cloves with olive oil, smeared it all over the chicken outside and inside., and roasted it at 375F for an hour.

I was amazed that there was no garlic aroma or sharpness (hubby not a big fan of extreme garlic), but a sweetness! It reminded me of the soy soaked then dried olives (lam gok) my mom used to cook is a traditional dish for Chinese New Year. It was eaten as a lettuce wrap.

We enjoyed the chicken. My hubby said it was a real meat and potato meal as I also made scalloped potatoes ('s been a long time!), which he loves - without onions!

186533761_BlackgarlicChicken6129.jpg.eead5a9812191d0d769b0293d5db9725.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 19

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I use a smaller casserole dish to make lasagne for just the two of us.

I ran into the same problem with my lasagna recipe. For whatever reason it didn't seem to scale down well. Now I double it and use three 8x8 casseroles instead of two 9x13 ones. One 8x8 feeds both of us for two dinners or more often one dinner and three small lunches for me. They keep well in the freezer.

• Like 1

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

Did the corn test, microwave vs CSO.  The ist cob weighed 438 grams and went into the CSO for 30 minutes at 150.  It was slightly undercooked for my taste.

The second one weighed 404 grams and went fully clothed into the microwave on high for three minutes.  Worked like a charm, but slightly overcooked.  One thing I really liked was the way the husk, silk and all, came off, all in one go.  The corn also came off in longer strips.  The microwaved corn is at the back, the CSO at the front.

Conclusion: I'll be microwaving the corn from now on.  By the way, everyone needs that little corn stripper.  No must, no fuss.  It actually works and is made by Zyliss.

20180829_152135.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
It weighed 438 grams, not guns (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

Lucky me.  Today more corn found its way to my house from the Farmers’ Market along with other vegetables and fruits and some Cotija cheese. 

Dinner was a no-brainer—Mexican Street Corn Salad. 

2DBD38F6-CBAA-4927-BDF0-B65EA1EC934B.thumb.jpeg.9e60eeb3ce7368f0ecab2a0b5f3d0b31.jpeg

I just made this  except for the jalapeno that is on it's way home.  Didn't have lime juice but had finger limes so used that instead.  I made it to have with our dinner but I can't stop eating it...........

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

The next time we have a 50°-F something degree day (12.7C) I want  to make homemade tomato soup, maybe the canned San Marzanos will be back in stock at Walmart by then.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 5:05 AM, rotuts said:

@Ann_T

how did you do your pork belly ?

outstanding looking plate !

Thanks @rotuts

I tried to find a recipe that I liked but there were so many variations and techniques that I just  decided to  wing it. 

I presalted the night before. And then let it air dry in the fridge most of the day.  And before roasting I rubbed with fresh garlic, and dried rosemary and black pepper. Slow roasted (300°F) for about 2 1/2 hours, and then turned the heat up to 450°F until the skin was starting to crisp. Placed it under the broiler for the last 10 minutes. Let it rest while the vegetables cooked.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Okay, I'll bite.  What is Hughie's love salad?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156030-dinner-2018-part-1/?page=141&tab=comments#comment-2163242

It was quite famous in the area for years. The mother of the guy who opened the pizza place next to the brewery worked there for over 20 years.

Hughies was in the same neighborhood and was closed by the same controversial eminent domain land dispute documented in a recent movie called 'The Little Pink House'.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

Tomatoes are still pretty good, so last night we had them two ways – white bread and Dukes for the ripe ones:

DSCN8566.JPG.a36923e43323ffc0b81d62e7db110915.JPG

And fried for the green ones:

DSCN8567.JPG.5f78915ee7c8731496a3ec555c29e7df.JPG

Along with Mrs. Fearnow’s (local product - canned Brunswick stew - surprisingly good):

DSCN8565.JPG.b60050b302f73a775c0ddf7a6709861d.JPG

Pickly stuff:

DSCN8564.JPG.819234c36139f0445bebc29c6dd7f701.JPG

And farmer’s market nectarines:

DSCN8563.JPG.d179137a16528d1c4755072a309d1e38.JPG

• Like 13

As I understand a Georgian supra, it is composed of many dishes. 

SokoKetze08312018.png

Soko ketze accompanied by khachapuri and ajapsandali left over from the other night.  Bazhe, chicken with walnut sauce (not shown).  Wine was Mandili Mtsvane, made by Marina Kurtanidze and Tea Melanashvili.  May or may not be my favorite Georgian wine but it is the one I drink the most.  Mtsvane means green but the wine is orange.

I have read a supra should allow five or six bottles per person.  I have difficulty making it through much more than one.  (At least after a mai tai.)  In truth these dishes were far too much food.  I would have been more than satisfied by the ajapsandali alone.  It is excellent.  I can see ajapsandali being Georgian comfort food.  Which is fortunate, as a lot of it is left.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9C8096E0-33CC-4262-A299-964F5872E7AC.thumb.jpeg.335dee4570d4ea5617d76776e2141e84.jpeg

Miso-braised duck leg with carrots and shallots over rice. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog