• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

A9D6B09F-CD8E-435E-A5BF-AA54A25A7E8E.thumb.jpeg.8c021d4cfe292b131e0d3de5d8d32394.jpeg

Leftover chicken teriyaki and cucumber pickle.

• Like 17

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night's dinner.

1099352682_ChickenEnchiladasAugust26th2018.thumb.jpg.0863635c5849103535094dbd0f41e8e8.jpg

My favourite version of Chicken Enchiladas.

I made the enchilada sauce before leaving for work yesterday morning. Roasted a couple of bone in chicken breasts after I got home. I made a fresh salsa from our own tomatoes. Matt cooked a pot of pinto beans in the Breville Pressure Cooker.

Dinner came together quickly.

90061656_ChickenEnchiladasAugust26th20181.thumb.jpg.0c7434c1b36d511125c6b1e2245d3b6d.jpg

Just had to pull apart the chicken breast, toss with a little of the enchiladas sauce. Dip corn tortillas into the sauce and fill with the chicken. Top with lettuce and tomatoes from the garden. Sliced onion and cheese. The pinto beans were topped with a little of the salsa and dinner was served.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

So far a zombie and peanuts.  But there are slices of a beefsteak Atlas awaiting for my pleasure* -- mozzarella, and tonight's freshly baked baguette.  Assuming I can stand up.

*peeled.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

These flatbreads are called 面皮 (miàn pí ), which literally means "wheat skin",and are approximately 17cm / 7 inches in diameter.

wraps1.thumb.jpg.1c43ee8c2bedc62fab973aa4567a52e0.jpg

Here,  I used them to make wraps with garlicky fried fresh wild shrimp and a salad of lettuce, coriander leaf, green onions, raw asparagus and enoki mushrooms. A spot or eight of Sriracha from Sriracha. Several were folded/rolled and eaten.

wrap3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just watched a show where Risotto was being made.   Now I have to make a run to the store for asparagus, leek, portobello and arugula.   I'm so easily persuaded.  😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Lucky me.  Today more corn found its way to my house from the Farmers’ Market along with other vegetables and fruits and some Cotija cheese. 

Dinner was a no-brainer—Mexican Street Corn Salad. 

2DBD38F6-CBAA-4927-BDF0-B65EA1EC934B.thumb.jpeg.9e60eeb3ce7368f0ecab2a0b5f3d0b31.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I was going to do an easy meal with some slaw mix cooked with bacon, onions and kielbasa and have it with corn; mango and melon.  Then Charlie said he'd like egg noodles too.  I didn't have any so he said he'd make mac and cheese but there were several hours before dinner and I thought noodles sounded  good, so I made some.  It was pretty easy with the Kitchenaid pasta maker.   Charlie said they were really good but I can never tell a difference between them and store bought.

20180828_170410.jpg

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Lucky me.  Today more corn found its way to my house from the Farmers’ Market along with other vegetables and fruits and some Cotija cheese. 

Dinner was a no-brainer—Mexican Street Corn Salad. 

2DBD38F6-CBAA-4927-BDF0-B65EA1EC934B.thumb.jpeg.9e60eeb3ce7368f0ecab2a0b5f3d0b31.jpeg

We love corn and have been eating a ton of it lately, but just plain.  Looking at your dish made me scurry off and look for a recipe and I found one by Kenji at Serious Eats.  It's on my to make list.  Looks yummy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2018 at 1:31 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I was feeling frisky the other day and made my first ever cheese souffle. It was okay, but not worth the faffing around and dirty dishes. I used Betty Crocker's recipe, but I'm not going to quit until I try maybe "Joy of Cooking" recipe for the spinach version, since @JoNorvelleWalkersaid she has had good results with JoC for souffles.

I could not believe how danged thick the bechamel and melted cheese combination was before adding the yolks which loosened it up a little and then the whipped egg whites, which loosened it up more. I was fantasizing about ethereal, but got nowhere near that. I think I will try a spinach version, but if that falls flat too, I might be done with souffles, unless I rope myself into a chocolate version.

I served my less than fantastic cheese souffle with steamed asparagus, which was fantastic with a lemon wedge.

Ice cream bar for dessert. It's just the Food Lion brand of vanilla ice cream dipped in dark chocolate. You get twelve of these for 3 bucks. So these suckers cost a quarter, and are so danged good! 140 calories each and you get calcium and protein too.

If you are looking for a souffle recipe, look no farther than here.  This is a wonderful and easy Michael Ruhlman recipe that I've used for years.  One of the best things about it is that they freeze beautifully.  And you cook them from frozen.  I can't recommend it enough.  

1780982611_souffl.jpg.b5441124839c6886548cba557f58a099.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

If you are looking for a souffle recipe, look no farther than here.  This is a wonderful and easy Michael Ruhlman recipe that I've used for years.  One of the best things about it is that they freeze beautifully.  And you cook them from frozen.  I can't recommend it enough.  

1780982611_souffl.jpg.b5441124839c6886548cba557f58a099.jpg

Thank you Kim!

It's perfect that I can freeze these since I am cooking only for myself now. Your recipe uses only half the amount of flour for the same amount of milk as the recipe I used. I think I will like this new recipe a lot better.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I use a smaller casserole dish to make lasagne for just the two of us. It's enough for two meals and we enjoy it the second night just as much as the first. Sauce was made from San Marzano tomatoes grown in the BC Okanagan. Have you seen these or have you tried to grow them yourself,@Okanagancook? I thought they were very good - meaty and yet luscious, if that makes sense. I used the CSO to steam-roast them, which gave them a bit of a roasted flavour and allowed the skins to slip off nicely. 

We had a tapas-style starter with mixed spicy olives, feta cheese, artichoke hearts and some cherry tomatoes from my container garden. 

IMGP6624.thumb.JPG.c314e8966c19dff7757628f052fa6aa7.JPG

And the left-over lasagne, waiting to be reheated.

IMGP6631.thumb.JPG.7278460c9fbb4697b9dae4284a98c64c.JPG

• Like 13