• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

6 hours ago, HungryChris said:

After weeks of being closed, due to heavy rain, the clam beds finally opened again and I was right there to bring in the gold. Linguine with white clam sauce was my reward last night.

HC

There really is nothing better (and more rewarding) than eating what you forage.  I believe it is an eve greater reward than eating what you grow (I do both, for comparison!). 

Must be ingrained in us from our hunter/gatherer days, something primal awakens and everything tastes that much better!

Clams look fantastic!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a solution!  More information later.  But really I will be using the big oven for pizza not the CSO.  The CSO does not get hot enough.

Bread however is a different story.

I've never used non-stick foil.  I wonder how heat stable whatever it is that makes it non stick.

This stuff is magic.  You can use it on the grill, so I think it is as sturdy as regular foil.

Not much cooking lately.  My mom is back in the hospital after another fall.  Lots of back and forth.  Only thing I've actually cooked lately:

DSCN8520.thumb.JPG.555c070324679bce802ba63165fce12d.JPG

Salad and marinated cucumbers.

Penne with Bolognese:

DSCN8523.JPG.a51944931231031c476c682383bbc58a.JPG

Cheese and pepperoni rolls:

DSCN8521.JPG.a3979ad79e39e8346db7a5d26dea46f8.JPG

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 13

Casual dinner with friends at the Okinawan Izakaya "Kinjiyo's" in Central, HK.

Sashimi (selection of the day), fried octopus, tamagoyaki, stir fried pork with bitter melon, kitsune (minced chicken and cartilage), "German potato salad" and - of course - mentaiko ... Served with two different sakes as per Kinjiyo's recommendation. Nice !

IMG-20180821-WA0010.jpg

WP_20180821_19_27_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20180821_19_41_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20180821_19_49_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20180821_19_38_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20180821_20_30_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20180821_20_17_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20180821_19_21_56_Pro.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Here's one from NYT Cooking for you (that isn't a wedge salad or grilled cheese sandwich): Chicken with white beans and lemon.

1192545659_beansnchicken.jpg.8dd925eb9c51b0aa401dc222e16613e2.jpg

I cooked a half-pound of Rancho Gordo caballero beans in the Instant Pot. Sliced up a lemon and an onion, sprinkled in salt and pepper. Salted and peppered four chicken thighs, cooked them about 6 minutes on a side, until golden, and took them out. Put the lemon and onions in. Sliced up some zucchini and yellow squash. Once the onion started to caramelize, added the squash, let it saute a minute or  two. Nestled the thighs back in the skillet and let it simmer a bit.

Recipe here.

It said I could use whatever veggie I wanted, so I subbed squash for kale, because I don't like cooked green leafy things (except for cabbage).It was good. What was not good was that it was entirely too greasy. Next time I'll pour off all but about a tablespoon or so of the fat before I start the veg.

Flavor was excellent, though.

• Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Recent dinners were pork ribs with only salt and pepper. I like the rub, sauce and Asian treatments for ribs, but a simpler approach really lets the good flavor of my favorite cut of pig shine through. This was served with baked beans (Van Camps from a can) with whole peeled canned tomatoes and their juice added along with white onion rings, ketchup and mustard. The beans get baked for about 3-1/2 hours at 325 F. These came out sort of watery in the CSO because of the tight seal, but they thickened up the next day. Oh, and I almost forgot the best part of these beans. You cut bacon into 1" lengths and lay it all over the top of the beans before baking. I love these beans! Also I had a half of a cute little spaghetti squash that made a perfect serving for one shredded in its shell and topped with butter and salt.

Then I made cheddar biscuits and fried up some country ham for them. Served one night with buttered grits and cherries and the next night with home fried potatoes with a little chopped onion added after the taters were mostly crispy and a red grapefruit. I took the time to cut out the supremes from this fruit, and was really dismayed at how much waste there is to a grapefruit. It's not as bad a a pomelo, but I seem to remember thinner-skinned grapefruits than what I can currently buy.

Tonight was a big salad with green leaf lettuce, shredded carrot, chickpeas, tomato, a little onion, olives, pepperoncinis, and sliced white mushrooms with homemade mustard vinaigrette. I took some meat and veggie sauce out of the freezer and cooked up some angel hair along with some crispy grilled garlic bread.

• Like 9

> ^ . . ^ <

13 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

was really dismayed at how much waste there is to a grapefruit. It's not as bad a a pomelo

There is only waste if you waste it.

Pomelo skin is edible  and done right is delicious. I have often had it braised with pork.

Several years ago I was in a small town near the border of Guangxi and Guangdong provinces and was taken to a museum which claimed to be the former home of  a famous concubine to the Emperor. I was told that she later killed herself in some romantic tragedy. I forget the details. Later the same day, I was at a banquet and was served, among many other dishes, braised pomelo and pork. We were told that this had been the concubine's favourite dish.

"No wonder she committed suicide!" quipped one wag.

His judgement was way off. It was probably the best dish of the night. That was the first time I ate it, but certainly not the last. I've never cooked it myself, but have eaten it people's homes much more than in restaurants.

In 2008, Liuzhou held a pomelo festival where almost every dish contained pomelo in some form or other. Fruit, pith and skin. Sadly, I appear not to have any pictures.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

There is only waste if you waste it.

Pomelo skin is edible  and done right is delicious. I have often had it braised with pork.

Several years ago I was in a small town near the border of Guangxi and Guangdong provinces and was taken to a museum which claimed to be the former home of  a famous concubine to the Emperor. I was told that she later killed herself in some romantic tragedy. I forget the details. Later the same day, I was at a banquet and was served, among many other dishes, braised pomelo and pork. We were told that this had been the concubine's favourite dish.

"No wonder she committed suicide!" quipped one wag.

His judgement was way off. It was probably the best dish of the night. That was the first time I ate it, but certainly not the last. I've never cooked it myself, but have eaten it people's homes much more than in restaurants.

In 2008, Liuzhou held a pomelo festival where almost every dish contained pomelo in some form or other. Fruit, pith and skin. Sadly, I appear not to have any pictures.

Very interesting, but I think I'd agree with your "wag". I was nibbling the pulp off the pith where I had peeled a little too thickly and the pith is bitter. VERY bitter.

> ^ . . ^ <

2 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Very interesting, but I think I'd agree with your "wag". I was nibbling the pulp off the pith where I had peeled a little too thickly and the pith is bitter. VERY bitter.

It is only bitter when raw; not when cooked properly.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@kayb  That ricotta thought crossed my mind, but I was too tired to fuss with it and I was mad that brand new cottage cheese was moldy.  Basically, I threw an internal temper tantrum and decided I'd never make lasagna again. 😂

@Kim Shook I hope your mom is on the mend. 

After canning all day, I was glad to have some ribs in the freezer, already smoked to throw in the IP.

IMG_5074.jpg.3b7b46182a22ffce7af82c851c1f3022.jpg

Apparently I was really hungry for beans last night.....

• Like 14

@Shelby – thanks for the good wishes.  She is being transferred to a rehab center today.  I am actually on the way to meet her there in a little bit.

Dinner last night:

DSCN8557.JPG.ae707209f2fa7eeca3bd086b6afde2ab.JPG

Ham slice w/ marmalade, ginger and Dijon, fixed up Kraft and cornbread.  I had made a layered salad for a church lunch on Sunday and carefully dug out and tossed only half then.  That meant that we had leftovers:

DSCN8552.JPG.8de32de010acc419dea0a82ea002ef7c.JPG

Tossed:

DSCN8556.JPG.49aa2c5ec05dfd7ca0176d9a867bf55f.JPG

Iceberg, cauliflower, hard-cooked eggs, bacon, red onions, mayo, sugar and cheese.

Also some pickly stuff:

DSCN8554.JPG.6d2417c21503ad786ec5ba2c708d0461.JPG

My MIL’s pickled green tomatoes, marinated cucumbers and cheater sweet Kosher dills.

A pic of that good cornbread:

DSCN8555.JPG.ba065a2f2288765f01382dfef02346d7.JPG

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

350817164_SausageandMushroomAugust22nd2018.thumb.jpg.14b4f1c470d3f3d1a1fc569b7881ab5c.jpg

Baked two pizzas tonight. A Greek Potato Pizza for Matt (no pic) and

1305369984_SausageandMushroomAugust22nd20181.thumb.jpg.b93d6ab83bf6f86cf52296c34d5275e9.jpg

Sausage and Mushroom for Moe and I.

Dough was made on Monday and left in the fridge until this afternoon.

1884246083_BaguettesAugust22nddoughfromAugust20th2018.thumb.jpg.8d5f48e01f8a7070d73b4af397746c1d.jpg

I also baked three baguettes from the same batch.

I've been sometimes cheating and using baguette dough for my pizza.  The Modernist Bread Neapolitan ingredients are not that different but the technique is not the same.

Edit:  lovely pizza by the way.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, Duvel said:

Fantastic ! Would you elaborate on dough and baking conditions ?

Here is what I do as far as the pizza dough is concerned:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/mark-bittmans-basic-pizza-dough-59a2d3689b71d92b08fc5e24

Here you will find my description of the pizza prep:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156030-dinner-2018-part-1/?page=123&tab=comments#comment-2158835

I hope you give it a try!

HC

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've been sometimes cheating and using baguette dough for my pizza.  The Modernist Bread Neapolitan ingredients are not that different but the technique is not the same.

Edit:  lovely pizza by the way.

@JoNorvelleWalker.  I don't consider it cheating.  😊I've tried many recipes over the years for pizza crust and none that I like better than the dough I use for the baguettes.   I just adjust the hydration when I'm going to use some of the dough for pizza.  

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 2