• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

@chefmd  you would love me too!  I only like chicken breast although I know it’s disliked by many here.  I didn’t eat meat until I was 12 or so.  The family doctor told my mom I was too lazy to chew.  I enjoy meat now but the texture of any fatty parts is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dcarch said:

First, you should get farmers market tomatoes, if you don't have your own garden tomatoes. Don't waste your time with store bought tomatoes.

I sliced tomatoes to about 3/8" thick slices, then into the dehydrator (depending on your brand) for about 2 hours. Turn the slices over for another 2 hours. By that time the slices should be about 1/2 the original thickness, soft, tender, but not drippy, with twice the goodness for amazing BLTs.  

dcarch

Thanks!  I've got the BSOA, which has a dehydrate function.  I was looking for something to try it with and this may fit the bill!

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Slow Roast Lamb Shoulder, Gravy with Pan juices and Red Wine, Roasties, Yorkies plus unpictured Veg. 

Not bad for a Tuesday work night... even if dinner was far too late and the child had to be made emergency frozen Pizza when the complaining got too much! 😏

20180814_200143.thumb.jpg.c98402ef8071cc235fe9cc21fc0108eb.jpg20180814_200320.thumb.jpg.3cbe3933e2b82870657bdf37fd8e5a25.jpg20180814_193834.thumb.jpg.9cefa55a7b2e1f5a169954473d88f8e9.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@HungryChris  Those tacos look so good I wanted to dig right in.  What are they filled with?

Why thank you, @ElsieD. These were ground beef that had been cooked in a fry pan and drained of most of the fat, then seasoned with salt & pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin, hit with a splash of beer for moisture and put in the taco shells. That was covered with a layer of pico de gallo followed by a layer of sharp cheddar cheese and baked in a casserole dish lined with non-stick aluminum foil at 375 F for 15 minutes and served with more pico de gallo, fresh salsa, finely shredded cabbage and sour cream (which I brought out after the camera was put away).

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

I’m on the road until mid Sept.

so it’s a day of catering backstage (which is consistently excellent as we have a team traveling with us with flight cased kitchens et al) followed by a dinner at whatever the next city’s best restaurant is. 

And repeat. 

Life is tough. <g>

But it I miss cooking and like seeing what you lot are doing!

Last night: barbecue in Kansas City. 

43C05543-A5C8-4F4A-9A53-A74D705BF038.jpeg

• Like 14

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, Raamo said:

Tonight, Beer battered cod and really good hybrid corn.  (some sweet x white corn I guess)

20180812_173821.thumb.jpg.44f365564b3c5c2a298762c1d789aef8.jpg

Looks like the perfect batter coating, nice and crisp and not too heavy. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, weedy said:

But it I miss cooking and like seeing what you lot are doing!

Thanks!  Enjoy your “tough” life while you can.:biggrin:

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

D40BD351-C4E4-46DC-9B5B-A62F7A9E31BD.thumb.jpeg.31dbaab434b65e2eb4ac20eaa1cc8dd0.jpeg

Came so close to ordering in Chinese food… This was faster, cheaper and tastier. Sausage, mushroom and egg.

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ordered some Analon Nouvelle Copper nonstick pans to go with my new induction unit. Was a bit disappointed with the height of the sides of the pan at first, but discovered the that the heat spread pretty evenly up the sides. Thinking I will sell my Breville electric wok now. 

Made some one pad Thai to test it out. Includes dried shrimp for extra shrimpiness 

FFBD3E45-4E6F-49DE-8958-E9DA801C8115.jpeg

F4704901-6C70-4550-8ED6-AECC3EE349E0.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

1 hour ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Ordered some Analon Nouvelle Copper nonstick pans to go with my new induction unit. Was a bit disappointed with the height of the sides of the pan at first, but discovered the that the heat spread pretty evenly up the sides. Thinking I will sell my Breville electric wok now. 

Made some one pad Thai to test it out. Includes dried shrimp for extra shrimpiness 

Beautiful!  But copper works with induction?  You mean I don't have to throw my Falk away?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Nice looking dish! Question on the Breville electric wok - did you ever use it to deep fry?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Rack of lamb, pasta with zucchini, roasted green bean salad with pine nut dressing, tomato and cucumber.

DSC02648.thumb.jpg.cfa12fb04f3116747bb57b552efc3488.jpg

This looks so good.  Could you share your green bean salad recipe please?

It was just me last night so I had this:

IMG_5058.JPG.0a9e269ad011f75e1dcca380d23c20db.JPG

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@Shelby

It is from the Six Seasons thread that @blue_dolphin is posting on. Her's looks better than mine.  I found the recipe on line:  https://www.thebacklabel.com/recipe/roasted-string-beans-and-scallions-with-pine-nuts-and-vinaigrette/#.W2XFKBoTGhA

That pine nut vinaigrette is really good!  I think it would work with most any nut you like.

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful!  But copper works with induction?  You mean I don't have to throw my Falk away?

Pure copper won't work. Nouvelle copper is claded together with stainless to make it work with induction. It also has more aluminum than copper. But it's a very thick disc base. Works better than my full claded nonsticks.

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Nice looking dish! Question on the Breville electric wok - did you ever use it to deep fry?

Only shallow fried in it. Worked well. It's the best electronic wok I've ever used. It gets the heat up the side of the walls nicely. I'm just discovering that my newest toy can replace a lot of my old appliances, so I'm making a mental list of things to sell in my head :)

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor