• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Summer food. 38ºC. In the shade.

chicken2.thumb.jpg.861ca7739b70c49d970595033f06a9e4.jpg

1-10-10 chicken. Pre-brined for 4 hours. Not a drop of sous or vide. Left to rest for about  30 minutes. Tender and juicy.

Home made potato salad. No I didn't make the potatoes, but I did cook them. Made the mayonnaise, though. Egg, mustard, a splash of rice vinegar and rice bran oil. A winner.

Tomato and balcony basil with black pepper and lemon dressing.

Seconds were had. (Don't mention the thirds!)

chicken1.thumb.jpg.7e6c23eb65bea0b58629b31b5f5f13cf.jpg

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

What is the seed? on your sirloin? It's not one I think I've ever seen anyone use with steak, and unless it's aniseed, I don't think I'm familiar with it

Its dill seed.  Goes well with beef. It’s one of the main seasonings in Montreal steak rub.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

13 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Sirloin, cooked SV, served with white corn and salad.  Accompanied by a glass of Paso Robles Cab from 2012.

sirloin-corn5.jpg.004098cc039f611f43910d3e20d27230.jpg

Could you tell me the parameters of your sous vide cook on that sirloin steak.  Please.  

My brother and I were trying to decide how he should cook his sirloin steak last night and we went with 130 for 6 hours.  He said the result was falling apart medium rare.

Pasteur made a serious mistake in his calculations :

given that 130 F. is said to be the Pasteurization Point

it should have worked out to be 125 F.

that's rare , 130 F is thinking about med.Rare.

a shame.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Could you tell me the parameters of your sous vide cook on that sirloin steak.  Please.  

My brother and I were trying to decide how he should cook his sirloin steak last night and we went with 130 for 6 hours.  He said the result was falling apart medium rare.

I cooked it at 121f for 70 minutes from frozen.  It was about 1” thick.  Then it was torch-seared using dextrose as a browning powder. 

• Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I've had a craving for some fried oysters for a few weeks, so last night I tried a new recipe for the coating.  I never batter oysters before frying, but sometimes a dip in egg wash and then a dry coating.  It's the dry coating I usually change up.  This time the wet mix was evaporated milk, egg and salt, pepper and tabasco.  The evaporated milk helps thin the egg and I think added a little flavor.  Then the dry mix was cake flour and yellow cornmeal.  I've never used cake flour but it gave a delicate yet crispy texture to the fried oysters.  I had some Roasted Potato Caesar Salad left over so that's the side dish, and at the base of the oysters homemade mayonnaise.  We've been making some delicious summer salads at our Cook-Off here: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/157028-eg-cook-off-79-resurrecting-and-rethinking-summer-salads-summer-food’s-unpopular-kid/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-2166578

Fried Oysters.JPGFried Oysters 2.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

@David Ross

Ive just re-read your fried oyster dish above.

i do confess Ive never had fried oysters , as i prefer them on the 1/2 shell

as the only cooked oysters ive had were in bisques etc and i did not care for them that way

perhaps poorly made or not.

give a choice , Ill go for 1/2 shell , one drop of green tabasco and 2 drops of lemon.

green T is so much better than red here , for me.

I ve changed my rating for this post to " chef's hat '

Id like to come over and try your oysters this way

any time.

hope you have a lot !

• Like 1

@Okanagancook

nice pick-up

however

RB40 , more generously coated than before

ie we can go two ways here :

nothing survives liberal doses of RB40  for two days in the refry , that might harm you

or that that does

survive , if possible

might not be YourBestFriend

interesting indeed

maybe after 2 , perhaps 3 days of ' rack-drying ' in the refrig

I might pack and Fz ?

Ill keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Decided to play around with a different rub than I usually make. Made a basic rub with sea salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and a little cayenne pepper then tossed in a fairly large amount of fresh ground black pepper and very finely minced fresh lemon zest. 2 hours with pecan smoke followed by 2 hours wrapped in foil at 225 F and the ribs are out of the smoker...

ribz123.jpg

Sticking with the lemon theme, I made a bbq sauce with lemon juice replacing the usual vinegar and a healthy dose of fresh lemon zest that I strained out at the end. It's tasty but after a quality-control rib without sauce, I'm not sure how much I'll be using. I'm really happy with the flavor of the dry ribs. The goal was to not heat the house today with oven or stove, it's really hot and humid for here, so the only side dish is a basic garden salad. 

• Like 11

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A4DA975C-3D6C-4320-BEB8-9D5DAE50F7BB.thumb.jpeg.9f18bd8f5acfaaf779a3533b5a2e9617.jpeg

Had a late lunch so very simple salad was perfect for dinner. Tomato, cucumber and scallions with a purchased dressing (Wafu).

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My potato salad made from the rescued garage-stored potatoes that had turned to stinky slime did not agree with me (

I'm guessing that was the issue).  It disagreed with me and my body *cough* dispelled it ...probably TMI.

Said potatoes seemed okay so I don't know.

So I made a Shrimp Louie for dinner with the rest of my lettuce.

Must not have been my day because my steamed HB eggs didn't get cooked long enough and were relegated to Mr. garbage disposal.

How many things can go wrong in one day?

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, lindag said:

My potato salad made from the rescued garage-stored potatoes that had turned to stinky slime did not agree with me (

I'm guessing that was the issue).  It disagreed with me and my body *cough* dispelled it ...probably TMI.

Said potatoes seemed okay so I don't know.

So I made a Shrimp Louie for dinner with the rest of my lettuce.

Must not have been my day because my steamed HB eggs didn't get cooked long enough and were relegated to Mr. garbage disposal.

How many things can go wrong in one day?

From my experience bad things come in threes so we on awares!😆

Had both my kids for dinner as well as my BIL.   After spending the last two days looking at a multitude of wedding venues with my daughter, had to keep it simple 

More smoked chicken thighs with corn, potato salad and leaf salad 

image.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 10

I found this beauty in the market this morning and that decided dinner.

461129312_bittermelon.thumb.jpg.d8d48f36062ac1677778b3eacf606ec0.jpg

苦瓜肉片 (kǔ guā ròu piàn), bitter melon with pork. The pork was marinated with garlic, ginger, chilli, potato starch, Shaoxing wine and soy sauce, then stir fried with the de-seeded, sliced bitter melon. Sliced scallions and sesame oil to to finish. Served with rice.

1263502677_kugua.thumb.jpg.af95fff2d4139fbda956f2c2e9108c57.jpg

kugua.thumb.jpg.708f7de46d044649518b4d39c8153982.jpg

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou Does the bitter melon need to be peeled first? I don't know anything about its cookery - I had once heard that it needed to be soaked to remove bitterness, but I don't know if that's true..

No. it doesn't need to be peeled. The thing to do is halve it lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and surrounding pith, then slice into crescents.

I've never soaked them. That may reduce the bitterness, but if you don't like bitter, then why eat them in the first place? The level of bitterness does vary between samples apparently at random, but I've never come across one that was too bitter to be edible. But then I like bitter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2