• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

indeed

but it sounded Good To Me

but

Id have like to have some take out lunch at the first exit 

Fresh Abalone , just harvested , done just right ?

you could get it then near the coast

• Like 1

Yellow beans in tomato with turmeric, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, soy sauce. Fried tempeh. Nasi kuning (turmeric rice)

IMG_20180727_143859.thumb.jpg.8301748f40e690f2adb14344d8de85d8.jpg

Somewhat monotonous in color, but very tasty nonetheless.

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

@Nicolai

I want all of that. Except the greens.

I am having Froot Loops (dry, from a coffee mug) and pinot grigio. I am not ashamed.

What I am is exhausted after having to deal with the dreaded WalMart and then buy groceries, all in the same day. Tomorrow...tomorrow is another day.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Cincinnati chili and cheese dogs and baked beans:

DSCN8473.JPG.332afb40ba92ef65fe4fdd09aa370ecc.JPG 

Chips and green onion dip (a mix that every DC area kid grew up on):

DSCN8472.thumb.JPG.6fafcbdc5a43e4217ea119e204c3abce.JPG

And pickly things:

DSCN8471.JPG.a4cb7a4f3f3aa4823b356ec68c309c5b.JPG

On the left are those weird "cheater" sweet pickles made from drained kosher dills with sugar and vinegar added.  They are delicious and oddly addicting.  I hope I don't cause any trouble this time.  The last time I posted them (some years ago), someone said, "Let me get this straight...you made pickles out of pickles".  The disdain was quite evident😁.  On the right is my first batch of marinated cucumbers this summer.

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

A tostada of sorts with poblano peppers from the garden.  They are the HOTTEST poblanos I've ever had.  

IMG_5014.jpg.814a58b33a7a1f5ba4a9279828e1eaa8.jpg

IMG_5015.JPG.098ee4d2156a02d01a9409a904623316.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG.e80ff921f9db938c472adc426aa0152f.JPG

The tostada looks great, though. Poblanos always surprise me. They aren't known for their heat - at least, not in the books that I've read - but those that I buy often have a sneaky heat that builds into a pretty good strength. I know to be careful with jalapeños. I'm still trying to remember to be careful with poblanos.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

24 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The tostada looks great, though. Poblanos always surprise me. They aren't known for their heat - at least, not in the books that I've read - but those that I buy often have a sneaky heat that builds into a pretty good strength. I know to be careful with jalapeños. I'm still trying to remember to be careful with poblanos.

I couldn't believe how hot they were.  They are hotter than my jalapeños.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai

Im Sooooo Sorrrrry you missed it ;

A  Native Son

w the Alpha Spider ( yellow , a bit of duct tape on the GoveCompartment )

I actually went though this ' tunnel '

at speed

no matter :

see what your think :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Dkmw_Pajw

cheers 

P.S. ;  as they say

these days

"  No Worries "

muh better to consider :

i.e. What's for desert ?

just to help your focus on your Desert or

some Personal Beverage(s)

Dh is going from Berkeley , CA  ( n.CA)

to Santa Barbara  ( S. CA. )

yet he cruses at speed on the Coastal Road # 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1

he is going North through that tunnel

in the N side

\

\fir effect

FD  I did motor down there w my Alafa

w a roll bar etc

w the top down

and turned around to try the tunnel going back Noth

at full throttle

it was nice

but .....

back then there was no personal computers

and know wahy for me to know where to turn off at the first exit 

for some Local and Decicious  Food !

Ohhh. I missed these.

Note to self, Do not ride a car with Rotuts on the wheel if tunnels are involved  😎

• Haha 3

NYT recipe in my mailbox yesterday said it was Herby Pork Larb, a variation on a Thai dish.  I had to wait dinner for a couple hours and when I reheated it, the herbs got a little wilted but it was still a keeper. We had bok choy with it and Charlie asked me to make again a fruit salad I made last month. 

20180804_175723.jpg

• Like 16

Tonight's dinner: salad of chicken (low temperature poached, then browned in a cast iron skillet), mango, blueberries, maple roasted cashews, mozzarella, cucumber, and daikon, over arugula and mustard greens, with a sprinkle of chinkiang vinegar.

38425817_421142938407051_984346782722949120_n.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Sausage ragout with polenta and some slightly overcooked broccoli.

20180804_193410.jpg

I never think to put sauce on polenta - always automatically go to pasta.  But I need to remember to do this.  It looks so good and makes so much sense.  And my broccoli is always slightly overcooked.  I detest crunchy broccoli and don't care at all for the stalks, so I cut really close to the tops and always overestimate how long it will take to cook them.

• Like 1

I know I've posted a version of this before, but it's a favourite and it's always slightly different.

Pork marinated 36 hours in olive oil and lemon juice with coriander and chilli. Served here with orzo* and a tomato, asparagus and scallion salad.

pork3.thumb.jpg.d84e02c9d28ecf769e01fe54cf64d7c6.jpg

salad.thumb.jpg.f7d8c1d9dc7dfe810dbbdae7b0f74df6.jpg

pork1.thumb.jpg.958243928b55eb24999a86fb1d2fae74.jpg

* Normally, I'd serve this with rice, but recently I've gone off rice. A few months ago I was given a 10kg bag of Chinese rice, but I really don't like Chinese rice. It is very low quality. I always buy Thai rice. But I was reluctant to waste it and attempted to use it, but to no avail. Now, I am just avoiding rice because I feel It's crazy to buy rice when you have a bucketful already, but at  the same time really want to replace it. I'll crack soon.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

* Normally, I'd serve this with rice, but recently I've gone off rice. A few months ago I was given a 10kg bag of Chinese rice, but I really don't like Chinese rice. It is very low quality. I always buy Thai rice. 

Wow!  It must be odd to live so long in China and dislike the staple food. Even stranger to me to hear that the rice is low quality. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog