• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

My store had both sweet and mild.  The color of each was different.  The sweet was a more orange color.

I couldn't remember which one the recipe used so I guessed it was the mild.  I was wrong but as you've said, it probably didn't matter.

Maybe it was all the tomato product in the lasagna that gave me indigestion.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, David Ross said:

This is version two of a dish that is still in progress, but I think it's close.  Roasted Poblano Stew with Chicken.  I'll put together the recipe once I have it completed.  I braised chicken breasts under pressure in the multi-pot with chicken stock, bay leaf, chili powder and Mexican oregano.  Then chilled and shredded the meat in chunks.  The poblanos were broiled then skins removed.  I charred some yellow onions and garlic cloves in a hot, and dry, cast iron skillet then added those to the food processor along with the poblanos. Also added a little minced jalapeno for heat, cilantro, Mexican oregano, chili powder, toasted pepitas, salt, pepper and probably a few other spices I'm forgetting right now.  Then that went into a heavy pot along with cream and the chicken braising liquid to get to a creamy yet not too thick consistency.  Most of the chicken was stirred into the stew and I reserved some for the garnish.  Along with the chicken for garnish I added thinly sliced red radish, cilantro, toasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds), diced tomato and feta.  I'm starting to use feta in my Mexican dishes because it has a lot of flavor over traditional cheeses.  Then a little drizzle of Mexican crema.  It was delicious and just the right kind of dish for a hot summer evening. Not shown are the homemade corn tortilla chips I make.  Just cut tortillas in quarters, deep-fry til crisp and golden, then salt, pepper and chili powder.

Roasted Poblano Chicken Stew.JPG

Here is the recipe.  I apologize in advance for the lengthy instructions, I'm finally cataloging, editing and revising a couple of decades of dishes and photos to put everything into a consistent and contemporary format.  For passionate cooks like us, while the recipe takes some steps, it's all really easy and perfect for this time of year.

Roasted Poblano Chicken Stew

Serves 4

This creamy, fragrant stew is a blend of mild poblano chilies, charred onions, garlic and herbs and combined with poached chicken breast.  Roasting poblanos and charring onions and garlic brings out their flavor and sweetness while adding a bit of smoky flavor.  We add some minced jalapeno for a little heat, then top the stew with crisp radishes and cilantro.  Serve the stew with corn tortillas or chips for a unique dish that is delicious any time of year. 

Ingredients-

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 cups chicken stock

2 bay leaves

1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano

1 tsp. dried chili powder

1 tsp. black pepper

2 large fresh poblano chilies

1 medium yellow onion, cut in half, skin left on

6 cloves garlic, unpeeled

1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped

1 cup cilantro leaves and stems

1 cup heavy cream

1 cup pepitas

1 tbsp. dried Mexican oregano

Reserved chicken poaching liquid

½ cup reserved chicken meat

2 tbsp. Mexican crema

½ cup cilantro leaves

1/3 cup diced tomato

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

1/3 cup toasted pepitas

1/c cup thinly sliced red radish

Preparation-

1). Prepare the chicken.  Place the chicken breasts in the multi-pot, then add the chicken stock, bay leaves, oregano, chili powder and black pepper.  Pressure cook the chicken for 8 minutes.  Carefully release the pressure and remove the chicken breasts.  Cover and refrigerate until chilled.  Drain the chicken stock and reserve for the stew.

! Recipe Note: We used the multi-pot cooker to poach the chicken breasts under pressure in just 8 minutes, but poaching the chicken breasts in liquid in a stockpot for 20 minutes works just as good.  Make sure to cool the chicken breasts in the refrigerator and then pull the meat off in chunks before finishing the stew

2). Heat the oven on high broil.  Cut the poblano peppers in half, then scoop out the seeds and stems.  Flatten the peppers with you hand and place them on a rack over a cookie sheet.  Broil the peppers until charred, about 3 minutes.  Removed the peppers from the oven and place in a brown paper bag (or plastic bag), to cool.  Peel off the blackened skin from the peppers.

3). Reduce the oven to 350 , and spread the pepitas on a cookie sheet.  Toast the pepitas just until they start to brown, about 8 minutes.  Reserve 2/3 cup of the toasted pepitas for the stew and 1/3 cup for garnish.

4). Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion halves and garlic cloves.  Roast until charred, about 5 minutes.  Remove the onions and garlic cloves and let cool, then remove the skins and roughly chop. 

(insert photo of roasted poblano and charred garlic and onions)

5). In a food processor, add the poblanos, onion, garlic. jalapeno and cilantro puree.  With the processor running add the cream, pepitas and oregano and enough of the reserved chicken stock to make a stew consistency.  Pour the stew into a stockpot over medium heat.

6). Pull the chilled chicken breast into small chunks, (you should have 2 cups of chicken meat).  Add 1 ½ cups of the chicken meat to the stew in the stockpot.  Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until the stew is hot. 

7). Ladle the stew into serving bowls, then garnish each bowl with some of the reserved chicken meat, a drizzle of Mexican crema, cilantro, tomato, feta, toasted pepitas and radish.

I've added a few photos of the ingredients--I dry-roast the onions and garlic in a cast iron pan to get some char.  A photo of the Mexican oregano which is dried whole leaves and dried flowers, the poblanos after they are roasted under the broiler and toasted pepitas. 

Charred Onion and Garlic.JPGMexican Oregano.JPGRoasted Poblano.JPG

Toasted Pepitas.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

@David Ross  wonderful Mexican dinner.  

I woke up this morning with a craving for Mexican.

166697869_ChickenEnchiladasAugust2nd2018.thumb.jpg.bf075f0a0e4ac9e7da251afb9c3c7f6b.jpg

So decided I would make Chicken Enchiladas for dinner. 

I cooked the chicken breasts in the Breville PC this morning before leaving for work. Matt, my son,  cooked the black beans for me this afternoon, also in the PC

and tonight when I got home, all I had to do was make the enchiladas sauce and let it simmer for 30 minutes or so while I juiced oranges and limes and made Margaritas.

• Like 20

Pork tenderloin schnitzel sandwiches with lettuce and tomato on snowflake rolls with a bit of mayo. On the side we had one of Deb's favorite summer salads with fresh garden tomatoes and cucumbers in a garlic, dill mayo sauce. The farm stand corn from down the street was almost over kill, but we powered through half of it.

HC

IMG_1613.thumb.JPG.b4922efc263239edf2f11913847e6f86.JPGIMG_1614.thumb.JPG.3f46e71cb420c9a39bc6c4ee83329eff.JPGIMG_1615.thumb.JPG.14e301cb5971624f3d872fe474097614.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Another hot weather dinner. Panfried fish* with salad. Served with crusty baguette to mop up juices from the fish and the olive oil and lemon dressing on the salads.

d2.thumb.jpg.26f8c0dd9754c9703aefd5121567be06.jpg

*As usual, I have no idea what the fish is. Some relation to mackerel, I suspect, possibly Pacific chub mackerel, but every time I go to the store they have labelled them differently and none of the Chinese names they use relate to anything on any search engine in any language. Oily and tasty, though.

d1.thumb.jpg.2c36c274b2e95a10954fda72921d6240.jpg

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Panfried fish* with salad.

Lovely looking plate. Not sure I can handle oily fish though. They have never been a part of my life. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Lovely looking plate. Not sure I can handle oily fish though. They have never been a part of my life. 

Herring is not oily?!

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

Herring is not oily?!

I don’t find it a bit oily when it’s pickled.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I think there may be some confusion here as to "oily".

When  I referred to my fish as being "oily", I meant the category of fish. My meal wasn't oily - apart from the olive oil. Many of us cook salmon, an "oily" fish, but my salmon dishes are never oily. Sardines, herring, anchovies, salmon, trout, tuna mackerel and many more are classified as "oily" as opposed to "white". Doesn't mean the dish is greasy!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

29 minutes ago, heidih said:

I know - I was teasing you ;)

Ha ha.  Missed that completely.

I also eat (canned) sardines but only in tomato sauce so if they are oily then the tomato sauce does a fine job of concealing it.  

Even looking at mackerel I get an oily taste in my mouth.  If I lived somewhere where I could guarantee the fish was fresher than fresher I might try mackerel. 

My 2004 eG Blog

It's Friday......... Friday is spicy Malaysia day....

Malaysian food stand head and shoulders above all Asian cuisines.

Although such statement might be subjective, however for my personal taste, I prefer the Malaysian spicing and today we were thrilled again with an explosion of Malay taste and spices.

By the end of the meal, I had to leave the table to take a rather important phone call and took refuge in a corridor far from the diners. As I was busy with my phone call, a door opened to reveal the kitchen and to my pleasant surprise, the Chefs were three Malaysian ladies cooking their heart out. 

No wonder the food had a fantastic taste and presentation. We loved every bit of the place as well as their front/back house teams. By the end of the meal, I asked permission to congratulate the three lady Chefs in their kitchen and it went a blast, they even insisted to take a selfie with me to show it to the owners of the restaurant.

It does wonders when you can find your humility and pay respect to the people cooking for you. They are the stars!

1- Popia

3DcMuP1.jpg

2- Satay Daging

MqmN4Rq.jpg

3- Kangkung Belacan

OhSlAbg.jpg

4- Nasi Lemak Ayam

3TReh0d.jpg

5- Mee Goreng Mamak

P7FIuhI.jpg

Dessert

6- Keria

l6fW560.jpg

7- Seri Muka

dDcgx1Q.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 18

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai

agree w Malaysia.  

your spread looks good .

Have you found good food from Burma ?

BTW  did I miss the RedRoot festival presentation.

still no work on The Graduates biggest flaw.

cheers!

money-mouth.gif.d31f05ffad955d938f4103c2c3a13b67.gif

I must confess that Burma is still on the 1000 to eat list. 

Let me know which dishes to try?

LoL. The Burning RedRoot festival had a libation deficiency problem caused by a rather potent Arak.  By the time the food was served, people were rolling on the floor and photography was rather unwelcome.

I can reveal that the Beetroots were so good that we had to do an "encore" the second day, same with the Aubegine salad. The mains were finger licking Beef Shawarma and  oven baked Lemon/Garlic/Cinnamon chicken legs.

Dessert was baked Rice Pudding (Pussers Rum Flambé) and an enormous Watermelon (Vodka Syringe Infused)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai

agree w Malaysia.  

your spread looks good .

Have you found good food from Burma ?

BTW  did I miss the RedRoot festival presentation.

still no work on The Graduates biggest flaw.

cheers!

money-mouth.gif.d31f05ffad955d938f4103c2c3a13b67.gif

Ohhh. I forgot. What is The Graduate biggest flaw?

@Nicolai

Im Sooooo Sorrrrry you missed it ;

A  Native Son

w the Alpha Spider ( yellow , a bit of duct tape on the GoveCompartment )

I actually went though this ' tunnel '

at speed

no matter :

see what your think :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Dkmw_Pajw

cheers 

P.S. ;  as they say

these days

"  No Worries "

muh better to consider :

i.e. What's for desert ?

just to help your focus on your Desert or

some Personal Beverage(s)

Dh is going from Berkeley , CA  ( n.CA)

to Santa Barbara  ( S. CA. )

yet he cruses at speed on the Coastal Road # 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1

he is going North through that tunnel

in the N side

\

\fir effect

FD  I did motor down there w my Alafa

w a roll bar etc

w the top down

and turned around to try the tunnel going back Noth

at full throttle

it was nice

but .....

back then there was no personal computers

and know wahy for me to know where to turn off at the first exit 

for some Local and Decicious  Food !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai

Im Sooooo Sorrrrry you missed it ;

A  Native Son

w the Alpha Spider ( yellow , a bit of duct tape on the GoveCompartment )

I actually went though this ' tunnel '

at speed

no matter :

see what your think :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Dkmw_Pajw

cheers 

P.S. ;  as they say

these days

"  No Worries "

muh better to consider :

i.e. What's for desert ?

just to help your focus on your Desert or

some Personal Beverage(s)

Dh is going from Berkeley , CA  ( n.CA)

to Santa Barbara  ( S. CA. )

yet he cruses at speed on the Coastal Road # 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_1

he is going North through that tunnel

in the N side

\

\fir effect

FD  I did motor down there w my Alafa

w a roll bar etc

w the top down

and turned around to try the tunnel going back Noth

at full throttle

it was nice

but .....

back then there was no personal computers

and know wahy for me to know where to turn off at the first exit 

for some Local and Decicious  Food !

I also believe the engine sound was that of an American V8, that was dubbed in.

HC