• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

We had some fantastic corn on the cob from an honor system stand at a dairy farm down the road and my version of a legendary salad from this area in years past, the Hughie's  "Love Salad" and garlic bread with the requisite  copious amount of garlic. https://www.theday.com/article/20171023/NWS01/171029762

HC

IMG_1572.thumb.JPG.7f586ca523f959ec5705c3ccfc1cad46.JPGIMG_1568.thumb.JPG.717eea8b7e0feefb861d600aa907281d.JPGIMG_1567.thumb.JPG.585a351d90b92a9b4a8bc1b2d99c68c4.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 15

This is version two of a dish that is still in progress, but I think it's close.  Roasted Poblano Stew with Chicken.  I'll put together the recipe once I have it completed.  I braised chicken breasts under pressure in the multi-pot with chicken stock, bay leaf, chili powder and Mexican oregano.  Then chilled and shredded the meat in chunks.  The poblanos were broiled then skins removed.  I charred some yellow onions and garlic cloves in a hot, and dry, cast iron skillet then added those to the food processor along with the poblanos. Also added a little minced jalapeno for heat, cilantro, Mexican oregano, chili powder, toasted pepitas, salt, pepper and probably a few other spices I'm forgetting right now.  Then that went into a heavy pot along with cream and the chicken braising liquid to get to a creamy yet not too thick consistency.  Most of the chicken was stirred into the stew and I reserved some for the garnish.  Along with the chicken for garnish I added thinly sliced red radish, cilantro, toasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds), diced tomato and feta.  I'm starting to use feta in my Mexican dishes because it has a lot of flavor over traditional cheeses.  Then a little drizzle of Mexican crema.  It was delicious and just the right kind of dish for a hot summer evening. Not shown are the homemade corn tortilla chips I make.  Just cut tortillas in quarters, deep-fry til crisp and golden, then salt, pepper and chili powder.

Roasted Poblano Chicken Stew.JPG

• Like 10

I agree.  I buy the Mexican oregano at a local Mexican market and it has the dried oregano flower buds along with the whole little dried leaves.  Very fragrant and I happen to also use it in my Italian tomato sauce!

• Like 2

OMG - I finally have something worthy of this thread!  I recently broke out my Julia Child Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  Previously, my diet didn't allow for such high fat foods.  Now, it's perfect!!  I selected something easy first - Breast of Chicken with Cream Sauce

Chicken after cooking.  I had to split it up.  I think chicken breasts were a lot smaller when this was written

20180730_204228.thumb.jpg.b57a289a0072d8a49743141ee0d29473.jpg

Finishing up the sauce

20180730_204220.thumb.jpg.cb1eaf46d15f07e315fa2950623b1685.jpg

Plated!  With an arugula salad with balsamic vinaigrette 

20180730_204945.thumb.jpg.49124b68026bc5bb61139d52b3660690.jpg

Yes, the sauce is purple.  No, it doesn't taste like it should be purple.  Ideally, I would serve this over mashed potatoes or rice or something, but unfortunately, that doesn't fit into my diet right now.

• Like 16

I got to thinking about a favorite of mine, Fagioli e Tonno  from The Romagnolis' Table (p 224), as mentioned in the eG summer salad cookoff...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/157028-eg-cook-off-79-resurrecting-and-rethinking-summer-salads-summer-food’s-unpopular-kid/?do=findComment&comment=2164672

Dinner07312018.png

Served with soave and ciabatta from the CSO.

• Like 16

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

What do you do when you have small chunks of different cheeses in your refrigerator? You make 4-cheese Mac & cheese with bacon crumbles for dinner. Sharp cheddar, Emmentaler, Parmesan, and Gouda.  Simple but tasty.

mac and 4-cheese with bacon.jpg

• Like 16

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 7/30/2018 at 8:43 AM, Duvel said:

That looks great ... care to share your temperatures ?

Thanks!

I SV'd at 155F and then smoked at around 275F.  It's a new smoker so it's taking some getting used to.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, David Ross said:

This is version two of a dish that is still in progress, but I think it's close.  Roasted Poblano Stew with Chicken.  I'll put together the recipe once I have it completed.  I braised chicken breasts under pressure in the multi-pot with chicken stock, bay leaf, chili powder and Mexican oregano.  Then chilled and shredded the meat in chunks.  The poblanos were broiled then skins removed.  I charred some yellow onions and garlic cloves in a hot, and dry, cast iron skillet then added those to the food processor along with the poblanos. Also added a little minced jalapeno for heat, cilantro, Mexican oregano, chili powder, toasted pepitas, salt, pepper and probably a few other spices I'm forgetting right now.  Then that went into a heavy pot along with cream and the chicken braising liquid to get to a creamy yet not too thick consistency.  Most of the chicken was stirred into the stew and I reserved some for the garnish.  Along with the chicken for garnish I added thinly sliced red radish, cilantro, toasted pepitas (green pumpkin seeds), diced tomato and feta.  I'm starting to use feta in my Mexican dishes because it has a lot of flavor over traditional cheeses.  Then a little drizzle of Mexican crema.  It was delicious and just the right kind of dish for a hot summer evening. Not shown are the homemade corn tortilla chips I make.  Just cut tortillas in quarters, deep-fry til crisp and golden, then salt, pepper and chili powder.

Roasted Poblano Chicken Stew.JPG

Today I thought I'd try the roasted poblano chicken stew in a sandwich.  Chilled, the texture was similar to a typical chicken salad sandwich but next time I think I'd add a bit of cream cheese to give some more flavor and body.  Found a good 12-grain bread in the supermarket.  While I suppose this is more "lunch" than "dinner," it's an easy thing to make during hot summer evenings.  I'm in the process of typing my scribbles into recipe form.

Roasted Poblano Sandwich.JPG

• Like 8