• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

I am very fond of Izakaya-style restaurants and am always happy if my colleagues propose to go to "just a simple restaurant", which usually means it is very good (as otherwise they wouldn't suggest a "cheap" place). So, tonight we went to the Roppongi branch of Tengu ...

Haram (diaphragm), Mentaiko, Tofu motsunabe (intestine stew with miso & tofu - excellent), Gyutan (tongue), Tsukune (minced chicken & cartilage), chicken livers and potatoes in thick sweet soy sauce (my favorite of the night), Hatsu (heart) and mixed pickles. Whisky highballs ad libitum, as we booked the "nomihodai" package - all you can drink for 120 min (which is surprisingly a lot 😁) ...

WP_20180726_18_10_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20180726_18_12_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20180726_18_14_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20180726_18_17_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20180726_18_18_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20180726_18_18_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20180726_18_47_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20180726_18_47_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20180726_19_21_54_Pro.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

Is it some kind of whiskey cocktail or is it just a LOT of whiskey on the rocks?

It's whisky with club soda. Depending on your friendly server alcohol content ranges from maybe 3% to something close to 10%. Color is a good indicator. And based on my experience a German guy who orders offal and knows a few funky Japanese words gets usually the stronger stuff 😋

It is very refreshing and has a lot less calories than beer ...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Duvel said:

chicken livers and potatoes in thick sewer soy sauce (my favorite of the night), 

This one sounds very interesting although I’m fairly certain you didn’t mean sewer soy sauce. Or did you?

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This one sounds very interesting although I’m fairly certain you didn’t mean sewer soy sauce. Or did you?

Sorry, sweeeeeeet. Will correct it.

Its pretty much like the Unagi basting sauce. Lovely combination, especially with the soft potatoes soaking up the sauce ...

• Delicious 1

Corn, sadly not the best.  The previous ears this year have been pretty good.  Made up for by fresh, local tomatoes...picked at sundown, twelve feet away.  Coleslaw, an avocado, and the rest of last night's pork.  Bottle of soave.  Bread.

• Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Dinning solo.  Found a vac pak of 4 chicken wings and had left over rice and black beans.   Did the wings in the CSO on steam bake

image.jpeg

At what temperature  and for how long please?

• Like 1

More vacation cooking.  The other day we grilled up some ribs and chicken that we picked up at one if the island grocery stores.  I only got a photo of the ribs...

ribs.thumb.jpg.9210f03d9bc97ef0fd60640c7357fd8c.jpg

Last night we grilled some Snake River Farms waygu steaks that we brought down frozen.  There were four.  Seasoned

waygu.thumb.jpg.988621692294a2cbe64c8445beb89d70.jpg

Cooked

cookedsteak.thumb.jpg.1da9d2a5c0da626a0df849180b474407.jpg

sliced

steak.thumb.jpg.3a87c87465f76b2d0341d98ee3bfead4.jpg

steak2.thumb.jpg.f3bf1df4e5f86fc6691f01949de54f07.jpg

I don't eat red meat so made a nicoise sandwich

1142739799_nicoisesandwich.thumb.jpg.e7e0e462b0fd46907b5081ac86a92ed0.jpg

• Like 22
  • Delicious 4

I knew something was up when I boarded the local train from Anegasaki station after a really long day at the production site. It was crowded beyond anything I had ever experienced. Getting out at Makuhari with literally thousands of people confirmed that suspicion.

WP_20180727_18_46_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.d0b7ac921081e756008ad7c3d0872a54.jpg

I took a taxi for the normally 10 min walk to the hotel only to learn upon check in that today was the annual fireworks in Makuhari (one of the bigger ones in Japan) and since all fireworks for tomorrow had been cancelled to to an incoming typhoon, everyone wanted to join tonight.

After explaining that the very nice girl at the check-in told me that Because fireworks would start in 5 min and so.e guests for the "perfect view" rooms didn't show up I'd be up for a treat ...

WP_20180727_20_04_27_Pro.thumb.jpg.19d914063c66a04b7d67c0dcb8b9113b.jpg

I had a great view on the fireworks and headed out shortly after only to find that again literally thousand of people gad the very same idea ...

Spend some time in the hot spring of the hotel, then dozed off and woke up famished at 23.30h. Only reasonable option was pizza napoletana at the hitel-owned cafe, which wasn't half as bad, followed by curry-flavored rice crackers. Waiting time for the pizza and the pizza itself was accompanied by Whisky highball ... A pleasant start into the weekend !

WP_20180727_23_01_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20180727_23_25_56_Pro.jpg

• Like 15

25 minutes ago, Duvel said:

accompanied by Whisky highball ... A pleasant start into the weekend ! 

Given the number of typos in your post - not normal for you - I'm guessing more than one highball or three was involved!

:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We have had house guests for the last few days and they wanted my El Pollo Loco style chicken, so I made up a batch.  They are all dark meat folks, so a breast for me and thighs for them.  Served with broccoli made in the IP and salad.  Dessert was compressed watermelon.  I had a glass (or two) of Lodi Zin.

epl-broc.jpg.de44a1fa993763d5a88028fbfbd2f830.jpg

epl-thighs.jpg.cf344f1d5151d88268e9f5a3f5df16f0.jpg

• Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I needed something quick last night. Tuna sauce over angel hair. I like it when I'm in a hurry (well even when I'm not), because I can have the sauce done in the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta.

Angell Hair w- Tuna Sauce.jpg

• Like 9

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

If I could list all the recipes and variations on them I have made more than a few times, I bet Martini chicken would be right up there somewhere after hamburgers. Today we had a variation. It was made the same but topped with mozzarella and tomatoes marinated in a dressing with basil.  Whoever wrote this recipe called it Chicken Milanese.

20180727_165420.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11

I seldom have an opportunity to enjoy a beverage after dinner, but tonight's meal was so delicious I wanted it to go on and on.  I grilled lamb chops and baked a potato on a bed of salt, and served them up with beans.  Thirty second green beans.  Lots of thirty second green beans.

Now enjoying a Balaklava Special No. 1, Charles H. Baker Jr.  Saves having to wash the wine glass.  Remember the Maine!  Oops, no I think that must be rum and Coke.  Thin red line, and all of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Given the number of typos in your post - not normal for you - I'm guessing more than one highball or three was involved!

:)

Normally I'd say you are overestimating both my English capabilities and my capacity for alcohol ...

But of course you are spot on 😋

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I rather shot myself in the foot tonight.  I had the brilliant idea of avoiding the heat in the kitchen (around 40ºC) and doing a 1-10-10 chicken breast. You only have to be in the kitchen to start the thing off, then you can leave after the first minute and let it get on with it. Pop back for a second between the two 10s and Robert is your father's brother.  I planned to serve this with a simple salad - tomato and balcony basil.

In a moment of total distraction, I felt the need of some carbs and insanely decided that the only possibility was what I call not-onion-bahjis. Due to India and China's long troubled relationship history, I cannot easily  get many Indian essentials, including the requisite gram flour. So, must to the disgust of the entire population of the Indian sub-continent,  I make do with regular all-purpose flour. I pimped my regular beer batter up with fried chilli flakes and black mustard seeds and mixed in the onions. Then had to stand over a very hot oil-filled wok while the damned things cooked.

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley" as Robert Burns said when he tried to cook bahjis. Still, mine tasted better than his!

dinner2.thumb.jpg.acc1a1b7035908afdaee750efe81d8e1.jpg

dinner1.thumb.jpg.615e7c8e0278226d6bcd4ef86c3fc9c6.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto