• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Dinner last night was slow roasted duck legs (300F x 1.5 hours), CSO roast potatoes, Zucchini and garden cherry tomatoes.

The duck was a little dry but tender.  I think I will try them at a lower temperature, 250F, next time or Steam Bake in the CSO...I was afraid the skin would burn if I used the CSO.

DSC02605.thumb.jpg.2c0f4cfaa0e56e2220595623a67aac0f.jpg

• Like 22

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

Soooo ... as my wife and son are trying to escape the hot and sweltering Hong Kong summer (in currently equally hot and sweltering Catalunya) I am leading the life of a bachelor...

This allows me of course to give in to spontaneous cravings, induced by participating in the happy hour in a local watering hole and then having 30 min with my food-depraved brain alone with me on the ferry back from work. Thus, I stopped by the supermarket, got a pound of boneless chicken thighs and made ChiMek - Korean fried chicken and beer. Chicken marinated in ginger, garlic, mirin and salt, then coated with starch/flour sprinkled with little water droplets for that KFC effect. Fried and served with Gochujang honey sauce and mustard / sesame oil / honey sauce. 

Oh yeah, and SoMek - soju and beer - just because of Bachelorhood 😋

IMG_1490.thumb.JPG.34dbdfa370462bab66dcafd48770fab0.JPG

(I count the days they come back)

I feel sad that you you are with without family - but damn that looks good!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Korean BBQ Rotisserie chicken and local corn. What's not to like?

HC

What makes the chicken Korean?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Haven't posted in a while but I have been lurking.  Nice meals folks, as always.  Been doing a lot of travelling, (so not a lot of cooking), mostly for fun trips to visit family.  Most recent was to LA where we visited Olivera Street, a Mexican-themed area of stalls, shops and restaurants.  Hadn't been there since I was maybe 10, so 55 years ago.  We had lunch there and I had carnitas, which I have never made.  Figured it was a good thing to try in my newish Instant Pot.  Free-lanced the cooking sauce after reading a dozen or more recipes.  Came out good!  Served with canned pinto beans that I doctored and salad.

carnitas.jpg.3ac3d5c1d8859e6ef2087b3ae2edefc2.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

If I hadn't been so tired and hot, I might have made this more visually appealing, but I was both so I didn't. It tastes fine, though.

Skinned and de-fatted a duck leg and diced the meat. Marinated it with garlic, white chilli, Shaoxing wine, Thai fish sauce (Nam Plah) and Sichuan peppercorns. Stir-fried the duck. Nuked the asparagus with olive oil and sea salt and served with couscous.

duck2.thumb.jpg.12d9ebace853a47933676338f358b7fa.jpg

duck1.thumb.jpg.85e46bbbd4218f6ca4271da53b5a476c.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last night’s Dinner was at The Pasta House Co. location at the St. Louis Lambert International Airport, while I waited for my very much delayed jet to arrive.

4CDC1260-9C70-4DB2-91BD-6D6CDF3A5B53.thumb.jpeg.2dd151e36d661c6e17ce502b49db2fd4.jpeg

I had the Cannelloni, which I really enjoyed, with a couple of glasses of Chardonnay. I finally arrived home just before 2:30 am this morning.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 15

we expect another heat wave ☹️ Before it arrives I wanted to cook something decent before I just have salads and cold soups. Spain meets Greece: Fideua with kritharaki pasta, chorizo, some dried tomatoes from the garden and a few tiny lobster claws

IMG_1983.JPG

Edited by ninagluck (log)
  • Like 20

12 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Potato Bake for dinner. 

I know one traditionally serves Potato Bake with ... well something. 

I am not a traditionalist, and Potato = Life. 

20180724_204305.thumb.jpg.3dc7035c8d3fdc1eb8080c2bcbf33614.jpg

Looks so good! I've had sides as mains before. No rules apply. Eat and enjoy!

Edited by demiglace
cuz I wasn't done (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Not your typical shrimp and grits presentation.   Tell me more....

It's what happens when you don't know much about shrimp and grits.  Bob's Red Mill blue cornmeal, cooked in chicken broth, parmesan added.  Sauce of fresh tomatoes, chicken broth, shrimp, served garnished with bacon and chives.  The recipe called for no further spices, which I found odd.  Also, I didn't care for the parm in there, even tho it was the good stuff, freshly grated by DH.  So I dunno, we much preferred the recipe @kayb had linked to earlier.   That was delicious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Shrimp and grits.

20180724_194257.jpg

Is that brownish color in the image of the cooked grits really how it is in real life? If so, too bad, because the blue corn is so pretty before cooking. The texture looks good though. Creamy with some larger bits of grain. Just how I like it.

I'm glad you enjoyed @kayb's version of shrimp and grits. I love to see more people partaking in our simple Southern staple.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Dinner tonight was a pan pizza made in my 8 or 9 inch Wearever cake pan. Measurement on top and bottom is different, no measurement stamped on the bottom, so who knows? I used this recipe for the crust. I split the dough into 4 pieces for 4 pan pizzas.

Sauce was crushed tomatoes laid down over crust on top of a sprinkle of garlic powder, crushed red pepper and oregano. I went much lighter on the red pepper because I laid a whole crosswise sliced jalapeno with seeds and membranes over the sauce along with a bit of finely chopped white onion. Cooked in the CSO for 15 minutes until bubbly all over. Then laid torn mozzarella cheese slices over the hot pizza with a little grated cheddar left over from last night's Mexican dinner of sopapillas, red rice, frijoles refritos and salad. On top of the pizza went raw Jumbo shrimp sliced in half. It went back in the over for 8 minutes at 450 F, the original cook temp as well.

This came out very tasty, but I must say that this pizza dough does not freeze very well. The crust was much better the day I cooked it freshly made, and it has only been a few days since I froze the dough.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

Something soft for hubby while he's getting teeth repairs!
Singapore Rice Noodles with homemade char siu, shrimp, bell peppers, and fresh beansprouts.

235571416_SingaporeRiceNoodles5682.jpg.882584d3db727b7fb4535433b8532337.jpg

• Like 16

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com