• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Caesar salad and chorizo stuffed clams that were given a heavy hand of fresh oregano and rosemary. I liked the combination. My croutons for the salad had plenty of garlic, of course, and fresh thyme, paprika and a little salt.

HC

IMG_1428.thumb.JPG.62de696dd18ac69d992e30f01c540b31.JPGIMG_1423-20180719055946.thumb.JPG.4e908fa4e5562c6c73816ca6a593a812.JPGIMG_1427.thumb.JPG.fc6808cf2b29f4b457a25c0ae75acf48.JPG

• Like 15

A while back we got into a discussion about Rice-A-Roni and I said that I had never had the Spanish rice version.  A few days later I got a package in the mail--Spanish Rice-A-Roni from @suzilightning .  Made my day :) .  I've saved it until our tomatoes from the garden started coming in (it tells you to add a can of tomatoes to the mix).  We really liked it!  

Homemade salsa 

IMG_4941.jpg.896ac37c50307d0f36821f329e368fc3.jpg

The famous Rice-A-Roni

IMG_4942.JPG.a4ef2b35e0fda5de6b01890120d2b5fc.JPG

Cheese stuffed banana peppers

IMG_4943.JPG.71db0bc89be623cda6e09ad96a7bbe4c.JPG

WARNING:  Dangerous picture about to be shown.  All GBP dislikers please look away.  This means you @rotuts and @kayb :raz:

Stuffed venison bell peppers from the garden.  

IMG_4945.JPG.0ea342ef892c398d4c0ccbcecda7d696.JPG

• Like 18
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Another hot weather dish. It's now just after 11 pm. 33ºC/91.4ºF. Not sure what it was when I cooked. Certainly more.

Clams with black fermented beans, garlic, ginger, white chillies, coriander leaf, scallions and Shaoxing wine. I usually serve myself this with linguine or similar, but tonight decided on a whim to try orzo. It worked very well. You can't see in my pictures but all the spicy, salty clam juices made their way to the bottom and soaked into the orzo. Happy mouth.

clams1.thumb.jpg.245bf22b4cd5801b206123e6c2675c0f.jpg

clams2.jpg.ab69911a27e7e056afc7326d5fa7c60f.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

52 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

You can't see in my pictures but all the spicy, salty clam juices made their way to the bottom and soaked into the orzo. Happy mouth.

Oh my. Delicious. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

A while back we got into a discussion about Rice-A-Roni and I said that I had never had the Spanish rice version.  A few days later I got a package in the mail--Spanish Rice-A-Roni from @suzilightning .  Made my day :) .  I've saved it until our tomatoes from the garden started coming in (it tells you to add a can of tomatoes to the mix).  We really liked it!  

Homemade salsa 

IMG_4941.jpg.896ac37c50307d0f36821f329e368fc3.jpg

The famous Rice-A-Roni

IMG_4942.JPG.a4ef2b35e0fda5de6b01890120d2b5fc.JPG

Spanish Rice-A-Roni is the one that I put a lb. of ground beef in to make it a main course.  (As you can see, I've deleted the horrible pepper pictures 😉)

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Spanish Rice-A-Roni is the one that I put a lb. of ground beef in to make it a main course.  (As you can see, I've deleted the horrible pepper pictures 😉)

😂

Ah, yes, Kim.  Another  member of the no GBP club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You have no idea how many of us there are.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

😂

Well, I don't discriminate.  I detest all peppers.  Though, for some reason, I like pepper jelly and if I roast jalapenos I find it tames the heat and I quite like the flavor in some dishes.  

• Like 2

I typically dislike peppers too - not so much because of flavor, but they tend to give me heartburn for some reason..  But, oddly enough, I love chili peppers!  But, they're not the same animal...

• Like 1

Definitely a member of the GBP club. I love all peppers, red, green, yellow, orange, or purple. Sweet, hot, mild, pickled, grilled, or fried. I would sorely miss peppers if they were to suddenly disappear from the world.

• Like 4

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

Dinner last night. Grilled chimichurri marinated pork loin, a bit of left over grilled tri-tip from the night before, pinto beans, Mexican rice, salsa verde (on the beans and rice), chimichurri (on the meat), salad w/ thousand island. Flour tortillas not pictured.

Chimichurri Grilled Chops.jpg

• Like 11

- W. C. Fields

Tuesday's dinner. Grilled tri-tip, chimichurri, and the rest.

Grilled Tri-Tip w- Chimichurri (1).jpg

Grilled Tri-Tip w- Chimichurri.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

- W. C. Fields

6 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

MRE, looks like you make your own flour tortillas?

Nope, but that is on my list of things to work on. Believe it or not, these are a Safeway house brand. They're pretty good. I toasted them on grill just before serving.

• Like 3

- W. C. Fields

Green bell peppers give me horrible indigestion.  All other kinds of peppers are fine, and I enjoy them very much, but GBP are the enemy.

Last night, burgers and hot dogs.  Simple food as we are on vacation and the kitchen amenities are quite lacking.  Typical for a rental house.  Burger and dog platter

burgerplatter.thumb.jpg.8c674d7613c3a96d67fd69ba3bcce182.jpg

Plated beef burger and hot dog

burgeranddog.thumb.jpg.9afe9c40635d20ba134d1d5e1cefb031.jpg

Salmon burgers for the non-red meat eaters

1954999620_salmonburger.thumb.jpg.548621f687a1c1c0651acd7326a6887b.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

19 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Burger and dog platter

19 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Salmon burgers for the non-red meat eaters

The first picture captioned by the first quote above had me thinking that while everything looks tasty, those burgers seemed a tad anemic looking. But I didn't want to be rude and mention it. Then you posted another picture captioned by the second quote above and all became clear... so it felt alright to mention my initial thought since it was simply a case of mistaken identity. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

12 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

The first picture captioned by the first quote above had me thinking that while everything looks tasty, those burgers seemed a tad anemic looking. 

And my first  thought was, “My heavens, she can even make burgers and hotdogs look good”, and they’re not my favourite food. xD

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I'll eat yellow bell peppers, reluctantly suffer red ones, but there is a total exclusion zone in my life for green bell peppers.  Detestable, vile things which should be eradicated from the planet universe multiverse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

30 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Those fries looks amazing. Well all of it does, but those fries hit my carb buttons hard.  

Thank you, but I can't take credit for them.  They were frozen fries, Alexia brand.  They do bake up nice and crispy.

• Like 4