• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

I received again a basket of chanterelles from my friend. Running out of ideas, I simple served them with a baked potato, sour cream and some parsley oil. Any new recipe ideas for me pls? 

IMG_1928.JPG

I pickled some..  I like them on pizza's

But I don't have any dedicated recipe,  I just searched around till I found something I liked

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

@Okanagancook – oh, dear lord.  That piggy.  That bubbly skin.  I believe I lost consciousness for a bit.

@Nicolai – what a perfect meal.  Not to mention the wonderful after dinner entertainment.

Tonight:

DSCN8435.JPG.4b448c042ef7f0365498efbf85304339.JPG

Leftover pork, green beans and new potatoes, Noodle Roni, stove top pork stuffing w/ jarred pork gravy.  Just letting it all out here.  Momma was happy!  It was pretty good.  

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

A whole pig’s worth of crackling is life changing!

Those who arrive on time are rewarded with some of it.

I'd come early

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Turkey sandwiches.  Again.  I had also made tater tots in the CSO.  I took them out and promptly dumped them all on the floor.  

IMG_4939.JPG.91fe270c13cbc120a7c22dbc94198fcd.JPG

The sandwiches and salad look good. Too bad about the Tater Tots! It sounds like we both had problems with our cooking mojo last night.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dinner tonight was bits and pieces cooked at various times over the last two days. Heat avoidance.

I started out making Scotch quail eggs this morning at 6 am.

1708228013_scotcheggs.thumb.jpg.4b41230c6dc61b8c2e054c9e4aeae8fc.jpg

641873694_scotcheggs2.thumb.jpg.def36dab3dd50ca5e02abcfbcc7904da.jpg

There was also a couple of chicken legs braised with turmeric, garlic and white chillies. these were done the day before and refrigerated overnight.

506299041_chicken2.thumb.jpg.65466e688e75c2bb008043032cc70a59.jpg

539334502_chicken1.thumb.jpg.5e5ce1bf34f72439c6e28043da2a9bc8.jpg

Then, at the last minute, stir fried fresh ramen noodles with pork, garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, shiitake mushrooms, white chillies, coriander leaf, and scallions.

325253510_noodles2.thumb.jpg.c3d9177754b4ebe5ccc3ec93f04dd3e1.jpg

There was a salad, too, which failed to take advantage of its photo-op.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Dinner tonight was bits and pieces cooked at various times over the last two days. 

My idea of good eating is a variety of things from which to choose even though I know I will eat all of them anyway. :D

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

very hard to get crackling to Crackle on a whole pig

I was going to ask about it, but thought Id be polite

for a change

Congratulations !

money-mouth.gif

My DH is a highly skilled pig roaster extraordinare.  We have done probably 25 pig roasts over the years.  We do one at our house every July for around 45 to 50 friends.  The fire is mostly charcoal with some apple wood to supplement.  When the pig first goes on the fire it gets turned almost constantly (by hand...the other hand has a beer in it) until the crackling is starting to get crisp.  I cut it off onto a cookie sheet and cut it into bite size pieces and salt it with Hys Seasoning salt.  Eventually we get most of the skin crispy except for the neck and butt areas.  Once the skin is off the lid is lowered to help the fat render.  Once that's done the loin is ready for picking.  It is permitted to pull the meat off the loin area only.  The shoulder and butts are for dinner.  Sometimes we get down to the back bone with the ribs being pulled off.  Depends on who is at the roast.  Here are a few pics from various roasts.  Oh and if there are dogs around, we cut the ears off for them.

DSC00952.thumb.jpg.0b0fee946c952223cc3d1dfda54869a1.jpgDSC00228.thumb.jpg.b3b80f2f59c2d3226502e6f0f69b1404.jpgIMG_2737.jpg.a8697e7db6b1ae02fac24c5584d95ab0.jpgDSC_0029.thumb.jpg.31b9026a555c66cb81518c5d1244ce24.jpg.

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

9 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Dinner at 10:55pm:

DSCN8439.JPG.2df8029ee8ec2d37ab4c1da4c7d2eca9.JPG

Egg salad, nectarine and Funyuns (and a Mt. Dew - @Shelby!!!).

Kim, two of my faves---Mtn. Dew and Funyuns!

(I fear you're burning the candle at both ends--get some sleep young lady (((hugs))) )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Kim, two of my faves---Mtn. Dew and Funyuns!

(I fear you're burning the candle at both ends--get some sleep young lady (((hugs))) )

That's why you got the shout-out (do they even say that anymore?).  No worries.  I'm going to bed in a few.  I got a delicious 45 minutes in the grocery store all alone when Mr. Kim got home to be with Momma.  Heaven amongst the produce!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Anna N said:

My idea of good eating is a variety of things from which to choose even though I know I will eat all of them anyway. :D

Been there; done that. Regularly.

Actually, it is a feature of Chinese cuisine which I particularly like. No one dreams of serving just one dish. To calculate the minimum number of dishes (N) to prepare for a meal, most home cooks count the number of diners (D) then add one.

N=D+1

More adventurous cooks go for

N=D+

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto