• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Just bagged some carrots and broccoli to cook in the microwave via the Michael Voltaggio method and have some SV'd chicken leg quarters from the freezer warming up  to finish in the oven for a  "confit" 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

13 Is A Lucky Number

I was so confident about the competence of the rescue teams, I knew the 13 guys will be out of the cave all safe. So I celebrated in advance yesterday.

I made Thai coconut basil shrimps for a congratulatory dinner for a good job well done.

dcarch

thai shrimps 3.jpg

thai shrimps.jpg

• Like 20

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

C73C774A-BE44-4079-9C01-241DB863A3D8.thumb.jpeg.503614b90e68df58a5d50226172da474.jpeg

Beef Ribeye (cooked Sous Vide at 128F for 90 minutes and finished on the grill), Crash Hot Potatoes and Stir Fried Teriyaki Asparagus 

Nice meal!!   Those potatoes look amazing.  Good char on the ribeye 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The night before my birthday, my MIL invited us over for a celebratory dinner.  She made chicken Kiev.  When was the last time you saw that?  It happens to be one of my favorite things, a taste developed in the 1970’s, I think.  And I used to make it when I was trying to impress Mr. Kim with my culinary prowess.  But it is such a PITA that I haven’t made it for years.  And hers was delicious!  I don’t have a picture from that night, but I have a picture of the leftovers that I reheated tonight:

DSCN8405.JPG.b942aad42b69e24d1eee163fe3b0bcd0.JPG

DSCN8406.JPG.109d3089e6e31e13d6af07b277f64d7f.JPG

For my birthday last night Mr. Kim and Jessica took me to Shagbark, a fairly new restaurant.  We started with the Crispy Chicken-Fried Chesapeake Oysters - sweet corn cake / mâche / Jim Kite’s country ham / baby spinach / tabasco butter:

DSCN8393.thumb.JPG.1274b2e5bd72680c3f6d236d231d94f1.JPG

Perfectly fried oysters and the corn cake was a great pair with them.

Slow-Simmered Vidalia Onion Bisque - jumbo lump crab / Edward’s slab bacon / fresno-rhubarb hot sauce:

DSCN8391.JPG.e2aa45ce515cc9470b1a58dacc5ea146.JPG

I am definitely bisque-ing up my onion soup.

Up-South Fried Green Tomatoes – Edwards bacon & sweet corn succotash / marinated blue crab / Powhatan pea tendril salad / blue cheese vinaigrette:

DSCN8392.JPG.6d3bfb1ba3d139c5cc83dd79f3f66b51.JPG

And the Ham and Cheese – Sam’s deviled ham and Bundy’s pimento cheese with bread and crackers (Sam and Bundy are chefs):

DSCN8390.JPG.84ea4c3e25aa350dc275110e858bc85b.JPG

We shared all of these incredible and delicious dishes. 

For our main courses – Mr. Kim had the Olive Oil-Roasted Scottish Salmon -
Jim Kite’s country ham / roasted creamer potatoes / Swiss chard / parmesan / horseradish emulsion:

DSCN8397.JPG.7f0a40b32adaf234490dbc96e60cc54d.JPG

I had the Rosemary & Mustard-Braised Border Springs Leg of Lamb -
toasted couscous / orange marmalade  / Buttercup cheese / Marcona almonds / roasted garlic tapenade toast / grilled fennel  / preserved tomatoes:

DSCN8395.JPG.38707499c792dd8b3051408c3f059dcb.JPG

Horrible picture, but truly one of the best lamb dishes I’ve ever tasted in my life.  And that tapenade toast was so perfect with the lamb. 

Jessica had the Chesapeake Rarebit – jumbo lump crab / applewood smoked bacon / parmesan sourdough / roasted red peppers / Worcestershire:

DSCN8401.JPG.02400c1e0d5ca53859e82c686c391b39.JPG

Completely delicious.  I asked (for subsequent visits) if the chef would object to leaving off the peppers and the server said he’d be happy to!!

We ordered and shared two desserts - Limoncello Crème Brûlée - citrus liqueur  / toasted fennel and Averna wafer / vanilla bean whipped cream:

DSCN8404.JPG.37ebd5b97f0b75b79c4a858d60787f76.JPG

And Warm Sticky Toffee Pudding - toffee glaze / bourbon gelato / roasted oat streusel (I thought the blueberries were an odd touch, but the oat streusel!!!):

DSCN8403.thumb.JPG.bd0a42f4a2c5bd07b47d93bd5929dbf4.JPG

Outstanding meal.  Before we were finished with our appetizers we were planning who to bring back here!

• Like 16
  • Delicious 5

25 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

The night before my birthday, my MIL invited us over for a celebratory dinner.  She made chicken Kiev.  When was the last time you saw that?  It happens to be one of my favorite things, a taste developed in the 1970’s, I think.  And I used to make it when I was trying to impress Mr. Kim with my culinary prowess.  But it is such a PITA that I haven’t made it for years.  And hers was delicious!  I don’t have a picture from that night, but I have a picture of the leftovers that I reheated tonight:

Ah, yes, the '70's...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

The night before my birthday, my MIL invited us over for a celebratory dinner.  She made chicken Kiev.  When was the last time you saw that?  It happens to be one of my favorite things, a taste developed in the 1970’s, I think.  And I used to make it when I was trying to impress Mr. Kim with my culinary prowess.  But it is such a PITA that I haven’t made it for years.  And hers was delicious!  

Delicious! I adore Kiev. Can't make it. I always ended up with an oversized if well seasoned chicken nugget and an oven tray filled with wasted garlic butter... which is a sin. If the 70s gave us Kiev and Schwartzwälder Kirschtorte then it's a winning decade for me.  :)

• Like 3

I've had two pig ears brining in with a beef tongue for a couple of weeks.  Ronnie had a meeting last night so I decided it was pig ear time :)

I pressure cooked them for an hour.  Then I made a basic slaw.  Soft bun, spicy mustard, slaw and a pig ear along with a garden tomato.  My very first time eating a PE sandwich.  It won't be my last.

IMG_4891.jpg.fadd71fecbc7792db550e77bddfa2d4c.jpg

IMG_4892.JPG.e4807b2b0fcd335e587884adf6a93900.JPG

Edited by Shelby
meant to write PC'd (log)
  • Like 13
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, dcarch said:

13 Is A Lucky Number

I was so confident about the competence of the rescue teams, I knew the 13 guys will be out of the cave all safe. So I celebrated in advance yesterday.

I made Thai coconut basil shrimps for a congratulatory dinner for a good job well done.

dcarch

Where do you get your head-on shrimp?  I have some that I get by mail from the Florida gulf coast, but I was looking for a supply a little more local.

1 minute ago, kayb said:

@Kim Shook -- Happy birthday! Your dinner looked spectacular!

@Shelby== = You may have my share of all the pig ears in the world.

Apparently , you are not alone in that thought.  😁

• Like 2

Just now, rotuts said:

Labradors love dried pigs ears

that seems about right for me

Honestly, mine was like pork belly--only less meat....it's gelatinous, rich.  Just plain good.

Ronnie got home and had a bite, and he didn't like it.

More for me lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cherry Tomato Sauce / Basil Pasta/ Kale and Quinoa Gnocchi  / fried Sage

The Gnocchi are a Yves product that I picked up to try-- the ingredients seem pretty good  and they taste really good--I picked them up and will try to make my own at some later date

http://www.yvesveggie.com/en/products/appetizers/kale-and-quinoa-bites/

29462598218_26fe9820ae_b.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino
Include Link and description of Gnocchi (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Honestly, mine was like pork belly--only less meat....it's gelatinous, rich.  Just plain good.

Ronnie got home and had a bite, and he didn't like it.

More for me lol.

I don't really do gelatinous - except for congealed salads 😉.   I have, however, had fried strips of pig ear and they were incredibly good.

• Like 3

I had some thinly sliced Chinese marinated pig ears not long ago for the first time...really loved the texture (and their marinade).

Some local Italian joints do fried pig ears which I have heard are quite good as well.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KCWilkinson said:

Showing my wife how to make a proper aïoli.

Step 1) Gather mise en place (always)

Step 2) Post about it on the internet (always)

Step 3) Actually do the thing (if time allows after steps 1 and 2)

IMG_20180711_175401_369.jpg

Please add step 1a: throw the egg ...