• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Cleaning out the fridge / leftover dinner:

"Vietnamese" chicken wings, Takoyaki from lunch (this time for the rest of the family) and cold rice noodle salad (which I dare not call Vietnamese)  with orphanaged items from the freezer ...

Everything was eaten, so could not have been that bad 😋

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

• Like 15

7A82D5F6-4A98-4A4C-8D32-11A05CE8A1EC.thumb.jpeg.b516a1113154800e0ac36d038ce5b2a0.jpeg

A small salad of whatever was left over in the fridge.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

sigua3.thumb.jpg.dc729a1339cdd6feb46e44a306168c23.jpg

Minced pork with chilli flakes and Sichuan peppercorns, stir-fried and finished with scallions and sesame oil. 丝瓜 (sī guā) or towel gourd or loofah steamed with garlic and finished with black pepper. Baked mushrooms with rice bran oil and scallions. Rice.

sigua2.jpg.ee3a20d4415a6f0be05794c14ff4f4f9.jpg

sigua1.jpg.7b2ee24508350887ec30f3651cbc8548.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Almost Thai holy basil chicken... no holy basil to be found so plain ol' basil had to do. Still pretty tasty..

kaprao123.jpg

• Like 15

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

King salmon and roasted potatoes.  Salmon was exceptionally fresh and I managed to cook the skin to a nice crisp without over cooking the fish due to the nice thickness of the filet.

IMG_0664.thumb.JPG.c6f5275c535e05bb9716468368b7652b.JPG

• Like 15

clams2.thumb.jpg.22b42d38310436ac8a092c183944a580.jpg

Sino-Italian.

Clams with linguine. I fry some chopped garlic and chilli in rice bran oil, then add the clams and a glass of white wine (today, Italian). Each clam is picked out and set aside as soon as it opens. When are all open,  I reduce the wine, clam liquor, garlic and chilli then return the clams along with a slug of oyster sauce and chopped scallions. Heat through and serve with the linguine.

clams1.jpg.02f132c86f4213555cabe12db938a4b6.jpg

clams3.jpg.573b179604347fba583a1fbe18918222.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The riblets on my chop are at 9 through 11 o’clock on the chop in the picture.  The round bone chops are quite lean with just some excess fat around the edges to trim off.  This time I was sure to get the pan really hot with some oil in the pan...got a nice crust on the outside and medium rare inside.  Makes a bloody mess on the stove but so worth it.

• Like 2

Since last night's not quite holy basil chicken already had me crossing the boundaries of authenticity, I decided to go ahead and cross them some more today. I had some non-creamy slaw in the fridge left from last week's rib meal (this stuff seems to be indestructible, it's still tasty and crisp after a week soaking in the dressing). Shredded cabbage, carrot, celery, onion and apple in a vinegar dressing (just vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and dry mustard heated and poured over the veggies while hot). I had a few Thai chiles left from last night so I chopped up those, some garlic and some basil and mint and tossed it all in the slaw along with a little fish sauce and sweet dark soy sauce before work this morning. So dinner tonight is rice, leftover not quite holy basil chicken and the modified slaw layered in lettuce leaves lined with more fresh mint and basil. Authenticity can take a leap tonight, this stuff is good:D

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Reheated some SV Ckn confit thighs in its bag juices with cubed Idaho potatoes in the CSO using the steam bake function.  

Roasted beets with sautéed diced onions, stems and leaves and small salad.  

E1427F06-52A3-4233-A781-FA8999923366.jpeg

Texture was good on the chicken.  Potatoes better than anticipated 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 9

My birthday dinner, because it was what I has a notion for.  A variety of sausages from Aldi (chicken apple, bacon cheddar brats, sweet Italian) I brought home and smoked and sprinkled with bbq rub. Four different cheeses clockwise, Havarti, cacio do Roma, Wensleydale  with cranberries, Parrano. Copious red wine.

20180625_182549.jpg

Edited by kayb
To add the photo I forgot! (log)
  • Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com