• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Raamo said:

Fried cauliflower with indian spices.  The batter is made from chickpea flower and spices.

Looks great ! Do you need to parboil the cauliflower prior to battering and frying or is it a straightforward preparation ?

Tonight, sweet and sour chicken:

SweetAndSourChicken06112018.png

This is chicken roasted in butter -- chicken thighs in this case -- then baked in a smooth paste of sugar, butter, roasted Marcona almonds, cinnamon, fresh ginger, toasted bread slices soaked in red wine vinegar, and chicken drippings*.  Catalan recipe from Baptiste Platine de Cremone by way of Time-Life The Good Cook Poultry (p125).  If only de Cremone had had a CSO.

According to Richard Olney, de Cremone declared this the finest meat he had tasted.  I'd hesitate to claim entirely the same, but it is up there.  Recipe published in 1474, not sure about the copyright.

Dinner06112018.png

Plated with saffron rice.

*drippings, @Duvel not droppings

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This is chicken roasted in butter -- chicken thighs in this case -- then baked in a smooth paste of sugar, butter, roasted Marcona almonds, cinnamon, fresh ginger, toasted bread slices soaked in red wine vinegar, and chicken drippings*.  Catalan recipe from Baptiste Platine de Cremone by way of Time-Life The Good Cook Poultry (p125).  If only de Cremone had had a CSO.

@DuvelAccording to Richard Olney, de Cremone declared this the finest meat he had tasted.  I'd hesitate to claim entirely the same, but it is up there.  Recipe published in 1474, not sure about the copyright.

We need an "interesting" button.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Water buffalo stir-fried with the usual garlic, ginger, Sichuan peppercorns and chilli. Buffalo marinated in Shaoxing wine.  Oyster mushrooms and yellow hothouse chives.

beef.thumb.jpg.e87c47c9c1fd9a96e4b339c98d904743.jpg

Steamed asparagus.

sparrowjuice.jpg.b59344b9651e9a9ec1878cf357666314.jpg

Rice. This I cooked as usual in the rice cooker, but unusually threw in the woodier trimmings from the asparagus. Gave the rice a delicate but pleasant vegetal taste.

5b1e606a698ff_beefall.jpg.4c0b6eeb3df9349055ebb3af0ef186f0.jpg

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Looks great ! Do you need to parboil the cauliflower prior to battering and frying or is it a straightforward preparation ?

Nice and straightforward - cauliflower was cut up, and battered, and fried for a few mins around 330-350F, If you use bigger pieces (the recipe actually calls for 2" florets) it has you smash the 1st fried florets with your hand and fry again.  We've made this before and found we prefer to just cut into smaller pieces to start.

• Like 1

Zucchini Boats w/ Ratatouille

Trench the zucchini --garlic salt and grilled the boats first

Filling is Zucchini scrape/red and yellow peppers/ garlic /onion/ eggplant/red and yellow cherry tomato

Sauce  is a spicy tomato

42672992742_703c579a8e_b.jpg

• Like 12

Its good to have Morels

Frugal home dinner tonight........

1- Yalangi (Vine leaves stuffed with rice - walnuts - Pomegranate Molasses)

yasqr0V.jpg

2- Ouzi Parcels (stuffed and baked with rice - Lamb - Spices - Almonds - Pine Kernels - Peas)

jP61fsG.jpg

6BJ1g74.jpg

NY31plc.jpg

We received this little bouquet of assorted Arabic sweets (19inch round tray - approx 3kg) . But the lady of the house who is travelling tomorrow does not trust me on my own in the house with this treasure. We agreed to offer it to the local charity for their Iftar.

j2QXey1.jpg

8Rg6f4z.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

One day business trip to Tokyo ... flight was heavily delayed so I just went out around 22.30h to grab a bite to eat. There is a little Izakaya I like and funny enough the chefs remember me from the 3 or 4 times I have been there in the last year. I ordered pretty much the same as everytime: Horse sashimi, grilled spicy fish eggs (mentaiko) and deep fried sprats ...

IMG_1205.thumb.JPG.e773df7b60e54ce8a1644531886a510a.JPGIMG_1204.thumb.JPG.ba934d57a191d602903e6564cdcb6373.JPGIMG_1202.thumb.JPG.c954eb451e9f03ea139c9520e24fc04e.JPG

The chef recommended me to try the fried chicken leg. I was sceptical, as fried chicken leg topped with crispy garlic is pretty much standard fare in Hong Kong. But boy, was that chicken good. Turns out they marinate it with kelp and miso and then deep fry it in chicken fat. Yup, chicken fat. Kind of quick confit. It tasted like a chicken that had fallen in a pot of MSG when it was little. And then fell into a pot of hot schmaltz just now. Damn, I need to make that at home ...

IMG_1208.thumb.JPG.60771a17100e0a1c0781b4cb2918dc56.JPG

P.S.: I love those seats ...

IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.b1639e0b8b0e97828fb83fe2e3ed2b74.JPG

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, gfweb said:

What are the indian spices?

There are hot pepper flakes and cilantro - not exactly Indian.

Also Garam masala (which we mix our selves), ajwain seeds (coarsely ground), and a serrano pepper.

Not quite the long list I use for curry.

• Like 1

Wifey is running late from a fabric workshop in Tampa.   Have a chicken breast thawing out.  Inspiration is waning.   I have a bag of red potatoes on the counter.  May need to incorporate them into a dish 

• Like 1

We had chicken leg quarters marinated and basted with some Asian flavorings then baked until the skin was crisp .  The recipe wanted the meat deboned but I thought it would be easier to remove the bones after it was baked. It would be even easier for me if I let whoever ate it take their own bones out.

20180611_142135.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 11
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Wifey is running late from a fabric workshop in Tampa.   Have a chicken breast thawing out.  Inspiration is waning.   I have a bag of red potatoes on the counter.  May need to incorporate them into a dish 

Oven roasted chicken breast with roasted red potatoes 

F02026FF-E026-449F-AC40-9A7A9C4756F6.jpeg

• Like 17

24 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Very nice roast dinner.  Nigella has a recipe for roasted potatoes, chicken and sausage which I've made several times.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/one-pan-sage-and-onion-chicken-and-sausage-recipe-1917236

Second this. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Very nice roast dinner.  Nigella has a recipe for roasted potatoes, chicken and sausage which I've made several times.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/one-pan-sage-and-onion-chicken-and-sausage-recipe-1917236

I don’t see any potatoes in this recipe.

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Hum..not sure what to say...perhaps I added potato at one point and that’s why I thought the recipe had them included.

ar any rate, potatoes are a welcome addition..cut so they cook in time.

I did a search and found this one:  https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spanish-chicken-with-chorizo-and-potatoes

• Like 1