• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, every market, supermarket and restaurant has it, although the locals usually cook it. As do I sometimes.

Tap water.

The local water is fine. At least, I've never had a problem with it. I don't drink it, though. Some people (not locals) use bleach solutions or sterilising kits designed for babies' milk bottles. Totally unnecessary.  But I'm just talking about where I am.

As you say, Vietnam (and other SE Asian countries) do eat raw vegetation and happily wash it in the local public supply.

In 22 years in China, the only time I got food poisoning was in a Western restaurant in Xi'an.

The only time I got food poisoning was after eating in a fancy restaurant in Washington DC that will remain nameless.   No problems while traveling the world.  Lettuce and tap water be damned.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie asked me to get some brats while I was at the store. I got beer brats and then thought, if I cook these in the smoker, I should put something else in to take up the rest of the room, so I got a slab of baby back ribs. We had the ribs for dinner.  The brats will become sandwiches sometime later in the week.

20180531_154510.jpg20180531_152053.jpg

20180531_160539.jpg

I dunno, Norm, I think you need another cooker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

No pictures but this dinner is significant to me. It's the first time since my Southern ren faire has closed and been packed away (at faire site - I'm still emptying tubs of kitchen fear and getting it all put away) that I have had the time and energy to cook a real meal. Hsn't happen in at least 2 1/2 months.

SVed a boneless New York strip steak, seasoned with salt, pepper and some Penzey's Italian Herbs. 131 F for 3 1/4 hours then seared. Served with Michael Symon's Cilatro Pesto, steamed broccoli with salt and butter, and Driscoll Farms strawberries. This was the first time I've made the cilantro pesto and it's a keeper. It's from Michael Symon's 5 in 5.

• Like 12

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Hope you all had a great Memorial Day holiday (USA)

SV & grilled prime sirloin steak, grilled pineapple, watermelon, snow peas from the garden.

dcarch

5b10c8ade1882_sirloinsteakgrilledpineapplewatermelon.thumb.JPG.b56ec1f2ba9844d8d2ee51e2f8bbe972.JPG5b10c8abaedbb_sirloinsteakgrilledpineapplewatermelon2.thumb.jpg.e4a503c83815ac5cc43e641262534517.jpg.

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 13

Deconstructed chicken cacciatore:

Dinner06012018.png

Half chicken steam baked in CSO.  Pan deglazed with lots of white wine vinegar.  Chicken and sauce added to garlic and sautéed mushrooms.  Did I mention rosemary?

Boursin and boule, of course.  Parmesan to nibble on, because I can.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

41773339734_e561cab996_z.jpg

Delicious salad greens from Union Square. The purple mizuna was particularly great.

Served prior to 2 spatchcocked poussins, baby potatoes roasted underneath those birds, and pan-fried asparagus. 

• Like 14

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Did a small 2 pound prime rib on the grill last night for dinner. With scalloped potatoes cooked in the 

Breville PC and steamed green beans. 

5b11481930af5_GrilledPrimeRibMay31st2018.thumb.jpg.98a0c6b7a25f6cf9e0b4e7483efd05b8.jpg

Walked in the house from work at 5:20 and we were eating by 6:30.

Those potatoes look delicious!  Do you have a recipe?  Does PC mean Pressure Cooker?  Cause I don't have one of those. 

I usually eat them form a box:$ and the only time I made them from scratch, they weren't good enough to deter me from boxed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shain said:

Onion kulcha, garlic kulcha. Tandoori tofu. Punjabi Chole.

IMG_20180427_210859.thumb.jpg.c0988ceca0ba53069c90408e8433076e.jpg

This gorgeous stuff needs detail!  I am a tofu lover

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blbst36 said:

Those potatoes look delicious!  Do you have a recipe?  Does PC mean Pressure Cooker?  Cause I don't have one of those. 

I usually eat them form a box:$ and the only time I made them from scratch, they weren't good enough to deter me from boxed.

@blbst36,  You don't need a Pressure Cooker to make these.  In fact, last night was the first I did them in the PC and I much prefer them baked in the oven.

The recipe is on my blog.  You can find it here:

Potato Gratin

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@blbst36,  You don't need a Pressure Cooker to make these.  In fact, last night was the first I did them in the PC and I much prefer them baked in the oven.

The recipe is on my blog.  You can find it here:

Potato Gratin

AWESOME!  Thanks!

• Like 1

With the exception of over thickened clam chowders, in which you can stand up a spoon, I like most, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the one I made today, based on this recipe from  Matunuck Oyster Bar. https://www.almanac.com/recipe/matunuck-clear-broth-clam-chowder.

I served this with Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits.

IMG_0865.thumb.JPG.3231012f7fc1154a4cf4feea56ecd580.JPG

It all started with 8 pounds of clams I recently harvested, steamed until they opened.

HC

IMG_0854.thumb.JPG.147469813d092489b3d95670abf37a9b.JPG

Edited by HungryChris
sp (log)
  • Like 12

This week sucked.  So dinner needed to be easy and good for my soul.

So having leftover rice and beans, caramelized onions, and chile sauce took care of the easy part.  And poached eggs took care of the good for my soul part. Because a runny yolk can cure a lot of ills.

Oh, and dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes?? Yeah, never gonna complain about that.

IMG_20180601_201133_166.jpg

Edited by KCWilkinson
Misspelling (log)
  • Like 12

-K

18 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Did a small 2 pound prime rib on the grill last night for dinner. With scalloped potatoes cooked in the 

Breville PC and steamed green beans. 

5b11481930af5_GrilledPrimeRibMay31st2018.thumb.jpg.98a0c6b7a25f6cf9e0b4e7483efd05b8.jpg

Walked in the house from work at 5:20 and we were eating by 6:30.

Great looking dinner, as usual, Ann!

I took a look at your recipe for the scalloped potatoes on your blog, but it doesn't say how you did them in the pressure cooker. I love scalloped potatoes and have always made them with a bechamel sauce and baked in the oven. The one thing I don't like is how long they take to make, though, with an hour and a half to bake after prep and assembly. I have an instant pot, and your PC version looks very good. Did you achieve the browning in the PC or have to transfer to the oven to get that?

> ^ . . ^ <

F093C866-6756-44F5-B557-061CBD75A762.thumb.jpeg.676b3b8fb4f5c912c16759936b7ede5c.jpeg

Rice bowl with chicken balls, glazed carrots and peas. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Great looking dinner, as usual, Ann!

I took a look at your recipe for the scalloped potatoes on your blog, but it doesn't say how you did them in the pressure cooker. I love scalloped potatoes and have always made them with a bechamel sauce and baked in the oven. The one thing I don't like is how long they take to make, though, with an hour and a half to bake after prep and assembly. I have an instant pot, and your PC version looks very good. Did you achieve the browning in the PC or have to transfer to the oven to get that?

@Thanks for the Crepes, I haven't found that my traditional way of making them take that long.    I simmer the potato slices in the cream just long enough to release the starch and thicken the cream before pouring into a casserole and baking for about  45 minutes.  With the CSO they cook even more quickly. In about 30 to 35 minutes. 

For the PC method, I just added the cream, garlic and thyme to the Breville pot, and I sliced the potatoes and placed them in the steamer basket and lowered them into the cream.   Processed for 5 minutes on the vegetable setting. Then I tipped the potatoes into a buttered casserole, added a little Parmesan to the cream mixture and poured the cream mixture over the potatoes.  Grated a little more Parmesan on top and placed under the broiler in the CSO for a few minutes to brown.   

• Like 2

Dinner at the local Indian with their modern and swanky Indian fare...... with their spin on the Indian desserts.

1- Guacamole Pani Poori

vQEfKAu.jpg

2- Onion Bhajia

qcjvMlx.jpg

3- Zaatar Paneer Tikka

gGgTK5z.jpg

4- Tawa Baingan

O7Q9A8l.jpg

5- Bhindi Maala

951rBIt.jpg

6- Tilwali Aloo

MzDQNtl.jpg

7- Biryani

m2OAmmL.jpg

8- Kebab & Tikka Platter

QMHwcCt.jpg

9- Burrata Butter Chicken

124kDtc.jpg

10- Coconut Rasmalai

1iZ7LMi.jpg

11- Alphonso Mango Kulfi with Salted Caramel

9POZdZl.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

24950F2F-0A26-4D1A-86F8-D1E4918CB7AA.thumb.jpeg.d0d95cc48e473675745df7c43ae91cff.jpeg

Leftover kimchi pancake reheated in the Cuisinart steam oven for 10 minutes at 325°F on the steam/bake setting.  Dipping sauce as I like it—Equal parts soya sauce and Chinese black vinegar and a duck filet from a duck breast I was cooking for another dish. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog