• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

What's the assortment of fish, @Shelby?

The big one on top is a drum (some consider it a "trash fish" but they are very good in our opinion), the one that has a rainbow look is a crappie (my favorite besides walleye) and the rest are striped bass.

• Like 5

On 5/6/2018 at 8:18 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

Each to their own, I think they are very important to the more rural communities. I doubt you would find rave reviews for a 'Brisbane RSL' but go walkabout, say Charleville, say Kempsey, then they can be the heart and soul. Honest, unpretentious, a gathering place. And thats just my immigrant opinion. 

The small-town Legion hall is the equivalent here in Canada, and often serves a similar purpose as the social hub.

Membership is aging now, and some buildings are being sold off. Younger vets (Afghanistan, Bosnia, Rwanda) tend to feel the Legion is for the older generation, which of course rapidly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A friend posted a recipe on facebook and I wanted to try it. Problem is the recipe is in Italian.  A video came with it so it was not hard to figure out. I mostly had to convert metric amounts and round off.  It is mashed potatoes wrapped around a hamburger mixture, then fried, topped with Emmenthal cheese and baked. I took a series of pictures which I won't post here because there are a lot of them but you can see them by going to the http listed at the bottom of my post.  Here is the finished dish. I put the potato croquette on some left over filling and just incase I felt it needed to be more fattening, I made up a bit of béchamel to serve on the side 

20180508_164213.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 14

A nice change-up from ground chicken burgers: Cheesy Chicken Fritters.
Small dice 1.5 lbs chicken breast mixed with 2 eggs, 1/3 cup mayo, 1/3 cup flour,  4oz shredded mozz cheese, 1.5 tsp fresh dill, salt, pepper.

Left to marinate overnight (or just a couple of hours).

Make into fritters and fried in NON--STICK pan.  Made some smaller ones for the Kidlets' small hands. Eaten with bottled Mango Chili sauce, corn-on-the-cob, and salad.

5af2962d766c7_ChickenFritters4974.jpg.7b4bef13856eeae3bb7c8ba024110ceb.jpg

• Like 18

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 hours ago, Dejah said:

These look and sound amazing.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Double-cut pork loin chop, cooked SV then seared, maple-bourbon glaze, served with tater tots made in the BSOA (15 minutes, air-fry mode at 425F - perfect) and salad.  Dessert was homemade, non-dairy peanut butter and salted caramel ice cream.

pork-chop-tots.jpg.6fa10c326520bb7c497eba62a8fc18ce.jpg

• Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Austria meets Netherlands, via Japan. Just an idea I got from a Japanese dish called "unagi donburi" (eel and rice). I've got nice smoked herrings and the rest came together easily.

hUsepWX.jpg

Glaze for the smoke herring: Riesling, tamari, ketcap mannis, liquid smoke.

Things that give the wheat taste: Tyrolean Speck, onions, garlic. Confit yolks make the whole thing creamy and rich.

iTtlLJ4.jpg

• Like 9

On May 8, 2018 at 9:41 AM, Shelby said:

The big one on top is a drum (some consider it a "trash fish" but they are very good in our opinion), the one that has a rainbow look is a crappie (my favorite besides walleye) and the rest are striped bass.

Since drum includes Red Fish I don't consider them trash fish but if the price reflects that moniker then I'm all for it 

• Like 1

Nothing wildly fancy tonight...Beef -Barley soup and a baguette.   There are so many soup bones in the freezer, I try to use a pack per week to open up a bit of freezer space for the upcoming meat chicken storage. I had canned some of my heirloom carrots last fall, so I added those.  It hit the spot on a cold, rainy day. 

IMG_2625.JPG

• Like 13

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Used some leftover roasted chicken thighs and paired with leftover bulgur, sautéed  with diced onion and mushrooms 

simple veg sides of tomatoes and cucumbers with light  basil dressing 

10023D05-4D16-4D9A-96B3-3418FDE4DD8F.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

Nothing wildly fancy tonight...Beef -Barley soup and a baguette.   There are so many soup bones in the freezer, I try to use a pack per week to open up a bit of freezer space for the upcoming meat chicken storage. I had canned some of my heirloom carrots last fall, so I added those.  It hit the spot on a cold, rainy day. 

IMG_2625.JPG

What's in the glass?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've been busy since I got back from my Vietnam trip, but have managed to cook a few dinners. Here are some from the last few days.

meatballs.thumb.jpg.2dfe4970e41a20bfde75ede78020ec5c.jpg

Pork, Shrimp and Shiitake Meatballs. This combination is a classic Chinese one, often used in wontons or jiaozi. Served with a home made tomato sauce of skinned toms, olive oil, chilli, garlic, ginger and star anise. There was a side of baby bok choy, too.

fc.thumb.jpg.b42faa84cc4174050e739fd43dfe1f83.jpg

Fish and Chips

chicken.thumb.jpg.9a29a9ac2f50b62ce906e012ea9c5301.jpg

De-boned chicken thigh meat stir fried with reconstituted dried shiitake, asparagus, scallions, garlic ginger and chilli. Served with rice.

• Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What's in the glass?

That would be a little Kono  Sauvignon Blanc.    I needed a little something after sitting through the elementary school's band concert yesterday. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Duck breast.  It was very small so I took cooking it on the skin side as far as I could without overcooking the meat.  Farmers market asparagus.  Hollandaise.  A lot more hollandaise after the photo was taken.  All of that just for me.  DH is not home for dinner tonight.

IMG_0615.thumb.JPG.91c450a30ecb039e4643577a9f6e5e39.JPG

• Like 20
  • Delicious 2

I made an Udon dish out of my head (so no claim of authenticity)

I sautéed some garlic and onion in oil with some Japanese chile paste. Then added some cherry stone clams and some water and Dashi base and let them steam open.

i added a handful of beech mushrooms for a minute.  

Then I puréed that lot and returned it to the wipes clean pot. 

In another pan I sautéed garlic and chopped Chinese broccoli until wilted and stems were softened. 

I added that to the clam soup base. 

Then I lightly scored about 3/4 of a pound of cuttlefish and fried them in the garlic oil left from the broccoli until slightly golden. 

Tossed them to cook the other side. 

Held. 

Lastly i quick boiled some fresh udon noodles. 

Added the Udon and another handful of uncooked beech mushrooms to the soup/sauce and stirred. 

Plated that with the fried cuttlefish on top and a bit and of fresh coriander. 

It was very decent (if I do say so myself) and vaguely modern Japanese (in a Nobu or Morimoto kind of way). 

Basically i I was bored with my usual repertoire!

2657DA24-1A51-4CE8-B169-5E48B9C1BC1E.jpeg

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 12

Sous vide pork carnitas from Serious Eats as described here and here

IMG_7768.thumb.jpg.ed93e0beba0e1a284baebae286e7989e.jpg

Served with freshly made corn tortillas from the Mexican supermarket, sliced avocado and sides from Nopalito: Salsa Cruda,  Ensalada Repollo, Escabeche Rojo and Frijoles Pinquitos de la Olla.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

It’s not easy to make leftovers look attractive even if they came from a fabulous meal at a winery!

95474763-E77A-4EF7-9777-3C26909FD155.thumb.jpeg.7fa5a7a84ebe1e04928a2a8003cb800d.jpeg

I enjoyed them with a side of  Suspiciously delicious cabbage.   The cabbage was pleasant enough but hardly life-changing.  

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/9/2018 at 4:25 AM, Anna N said:

These look and sound amazing.

Had the leftover fritters as burgers wrapped in lettuce with sliced tomato and pickles.
Great for quick supper as I was out on a shopping spree for plants!

I dug out a blade roast from the back of the freezer and thawed it last night. Today, I cut it into big chunks intending for stew. But hubby wanted something curry, so out came Patak Vindaloo paste.

Sauted the beef with chunks of onion, added curry paste, a handful of curry leaves ('cos I love the musty fragrance!), a cup of water,  2 cut-up tomatoes,  and cooked it for 25 minutes on high in the Instant Pot. Thickened with cornstarch slurry and eaten with sticky rice and peas.

It was perfect as temperatures have dropped again to single digits and we had turned off the furnace! Last night, it dropped to -7C. :(

5af521129436b_BeefVindalooStickyRice4975.jpg.ea976608716b95c96c7ef82d3bf31b83.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 5/9/2018 at 2:34 AM, Dejah said:

Small dice 1.5 lbs chicken breast mixed with 2 eggs, 1/3 cup mayo, 1/3 cup flour,  4oz shredded mozz cheese, 1.5 tsp fresh dill, salt, pepper.

Left to marinate overnight (or just a couple of hours).

Make into fritters and fried in NON--STICK pan.  Made some smaller ones for the Kidlets' small hands. Eaten with bottled Mango Chili sauce, corn-on-the-cob, and salad.

5af2962d766c7_ChickenFritters4974.jpg.7b4bef13856eeae3bb7c8ba024110ceb.jpg

This sounds awesome. Would you mind putting it into Recipe gullet before I lose track of this post?