• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Visiting the Husband. Went to the local RSL for dinner. He had an 'Aussie Pork Snitz' (pork, bbq sauce, fried egg, bacon, cheese) and I had the Barramundi. 

The meat and the fish were very good. Can't comment on the rest ¬¬

We both tend to eat in sequence, like meat first then sundries.. Well tonight I had finished my Fish (literally just my fish, all salad and chips remained, same for husband) and got up to get my lil boys dessert, my husband also got up to get another drink. 

In the 1 minute we were both absent from the table but less than 20ft away (son still sitting eating) both our meals were taken and disposed of. I was too amused to complain about the staff imposed diet :D

20180505_191305.thumb.jpg.9c4a9d3ead4b5b28f19e5b81ae6b2a37.jpg20180505_191231.thumb.jpg.448b55eabdd034348d36569db7db4252.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 5

@liuzhou, "Returned and Services League". A little hard for me to explain, a "real" Aussie would do it so much better. Its like a bar/pub/bistro/gambling establishment honouring returned and current servicemen/women. Every town has one be it grand or.. not. If you're there at 0600 (I dont think many would be open) or 1800 you stand and show respect for colours and sunset (I only know Navy terms) - flag goes up/down shut your mouth, stop what you're doing, trumpets etc. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Happy Derby Day/Cinco de Mayo/Mike's birthday.  Cherry smoked chuck, Mac and cheese,  and steamed asparagus.  

And beverage of choice. 

20180505_174014.jpg

20180505_171551.jpg

• Like 15

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

On 2018-05-04 at 2:37 PM, Anna N said:

Look what arrived at my house today.

43ABD25E-03FF-4D4E-861E-3219596CA9BE.thumb.jpeg.f8877f7ded0f4c34a30306bb94d595dc.jpeg

Ask and you shall receive if a certain person “eaves drops” on your postings. @Kerry Beal has now committed me to no longer being a Rice-A-Roni virgin. 

554A878E-E1E4-4DA9-9C49-E1C6033A302A.thumb.jpeg.604b2a3e13bf5e3c25852462d2a7a005.jpeg

Chicken Rice-A-Roni with spinach and a cooked chicken breast.  It wasn’t awful. I used no additional salt so I didn’t find it extraordinarily salty. I was a little surprised at how long it took to make what I would’ve thought of as a fast meal. Between browning the pasta and then simmering long enough to cook the rice...I knew there are many meals I make from scratch in much less time.

I had intended for the vegetable to be broccoli broccoli that I thought was in my crisper was not. 

Definitely will not go into my regular rotation but I’m glad I tried it.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

@liuzhou, "Returned and Services League". A little hard for me to explain, a "real" Aussie would do it so much better. Its like a bar/pub/bistro/gambling establishment honouring returned and current servicemen/women. Every town has one be it grand or.. not. If you're there at 0600 (I dont think many would be open) or 1800 you stand and show respect for colours and sunset (I only know Navy terms) - flag goes up/down shut your mouth, stop what you're doing, trumpets etc. 

Sounds like a place they would have to pay me to attend.

I had Mexican el Cinco de tres y cuatro, from Torero's. My sister and her eldest who happens to be a daughter took me out to dinner for my birthday AND took me grocery shopping, which is quite a chore when dealing with a person in a wheelchair. Best birthday present EVER! And bonus, both sister and niece genuinely enjoyed the restaurant and the food they ordered. I was so happy and relieved. Don't you hate recommending a restaurant to people and then they have a bad experience? I should have known. I've been going there about twenty years. I ordered the Carne Asada, Sister ordered the Chicken Fajitas Quesadilla and Niece got the Fajita Sampler, a large plate with chicken, beef and shrimp. I'd read a couple Yelp reviews on the fajita sampler, but never ordered it. Once I discovered the deliciousness of the real skirt steak in the carne asada, I have a hard time deviating to anything else. The fajita sampler reviews stressed the amazing shrimp component, and so did the niece. She said they were "perfectly cooked and seasoned". So yah! Sis enjoyed her chix quesadilla with black beans and rice. She doesn't like frijoles refritos, and a long list of other stuff including coffee and eggs, so I was holding my breath for her reaction, but it was all good. They even remarked on the salsa at first bite, both of them, favorably. I said, "You must like cilantro." Turns out both of them do, which surprised me, especially about picky Sis. The chips are really good here too, thin, crispy, and they come out hot. I cut off pieces of my skirt steak for both of them to try. Niece said she already had beef, but I kind of insisted it wasn't the same. Got groans of enjoyment out of both of them. I am serious, Torero's skirt steak is awesome!

We all got to go boxes and there was hardly a crumb of food left on the table in the comfortable booth. I had a recycled produce bag in my backpack and a twist tie, so I even took the leftovers from the second basket of chips. 

On the way to bring me home from the restaurant, the niece, who was driving, veered pretty sharply off the road into what I later realized was a Rite Aid Pharmacy. It doesn't take much to "veer" in her F350 Ford diesel pickup we were riding in. She has it to haul horse trailers. Big gooseneck horse trailers. She had remembered that I needed generic style aspirin after encountering the cheapest aspirin at the Food Lion in 50 tablet packages for over $5. I was used to paying $1 for 150 tablets at Dollar General. I was going to buy them, but Sis and Niece assured me we'd stop at a Dollar Store later. After the great meal, I'd forgotten all about it, but Niece was still on top of things. I remarked I was surprised she'd remembered, and my sister, still in the vehicle, said, "Yep, that's why we keep the young people around ... to help us remember things." :D

So the next day, I ate my leftovers, supplemented with freshly slice lettuce and tomato and they were really good, but for Cinco de Mayo proper, I wanted a change. I'd bought the first fresh corn on the cob I've seen this year, so cooked up an ear of that. It was so good that I decided to celebrate first corn of the season by cooking up a second ear also dripping with butter and kosher salt. Then I grilled some Italian bread slices in the skillet I was going to cook a burger in. After they were a little past golden going to char, I removed the bread and added the burger to the skillet with thinly sliced white onion to cook along in the beef fat. 

I had bought American cheese food product slices because I thought it would last longer being individually wrapped slices. It was okay on the burger, but made me remember why I never buy "cheese food". Real American cheese good/cheese food bad. ¬¬

Still a good burger though with lettuce, sliced grape tomatoes, Dukes mayo and yellow mustard. Juicy, messy (two large napkins before I dared touch my wheelchair to get to the sink to wash my hands) and very satisfying. I used the grape tomatoes because that's the only thing Food Lion has this time of year that remotely tastes like a real tomato. Had some fun chasing them around the plate as they dropped out of the sandwich.

Y'all are not going to believe this, but I had strawberry shortcake on a freshly cooked sweet biscuit style base with whipped cream a couple hours later. That was really good too, but much more than I usually eat and I was very tempted to take a food coma nap afterwards.

It was so good to see my family and have fresh food and supplies in the house again. Life is good at Chez TftC.

• Like 12

> ^ . . ^ <

9 hours ago, FeChef said:

Sounds like a place they would have to pay me to attend.

Each to their own, I think they are very important to the more rural communities. I doubt you would find rave reviews for a 'Brisbane RSL' but go walkabout, say Charleville, say Kempsey, then they can be the heart and soul. Honest, unpretentious, a gathering place. And thats just my immigrant opinion. 

• Like 7

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

If you're there at 0600 (I dont think many would be open) or 1800 you stand and show respect for colours and sunset (I only know Navy terms) - flag goes up/down shut your mouth, stop what you're doing, trumpets etc. 

At Picatinny Arsenal where John worked for many years we called it reveille or retreat.

Working on soup for John for later today but I am craving meatloaf so that is what is for dinner tonight with mashed potatoes, some frozen zucchini shreds and onion and mushroom gravy.

• Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

15 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Happy Derby Day/Cinco de Mayo/Mike's birthday.  Cherry smoked chuck, Mac and cheese,  and steamed asparagus.  

And beverage of choice. 

20180505_174014.jpg

20180505_171551.jpg

Wow!  Birthday, Cinco, AND Derby Day :)  Happy Birthday!  Good to see the Woodford Reserve :) 

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

554A878E-E1E4-4DA9-9C49-E1C6033A302A.thumb.jpeg.604b2a3e13bf5e3c25852462d2a7a005.jpeg

Chicken Rice-A-Roni with spinach and a cooked chicken breast.  It wasn’t awful. I used no additional salt so I didn’t find it extraordinarily salty. I was a little surprised at how long it took to make what I would’ve thought of as a fast meal. Between browning the pasta and then simmering long enough to cook the rice...I knew there are many meals I make from scratch in much less time.

I had intended for the vegetable to be broccoli broccoli that I thought was in my crisper was not. 

Definitely will not go into my regular rotation but I’m glad I tried it.

And now you know lol.  That looks good--and much fancier than what I do with Rice A Roni :)

Venison tacos for Derby Day/Cinco de Mayo/ Mike's Birthday ;)

IMG_4465.jpg.006daec79681d6c1cd68f11d2e5ddaac.jpg

• Like 14

While rummaging around the freezer for ice-cream treats,  I pulled up 2 packages of lamb chops purchased a few weeks ago at 50% off. Luckily, I had sealed them with Food Saver, so they were in good shape.

Total of 6 thick chops onto the BBQ.

5aef28d7b2529_LambChops4919.jpg.74a7ddf804a1f40241a95235058ca379.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

22 hours ago, chefmd said:

A patient gifted me red and black caviar.  Served with home made creme fraiche and blinis.  Champagne is not optional :)

IMG_0608.thumb.JPG.9597e35b2aae47d59b17cac44632d901.JPG

Knock knock... I have brought sparkling Riesling.

ZQhLDGH.jpg

______

Sunset dinner.

oEGfp1z.jpg

SV pork belly. Red things are gochujang, doenjang and crispy spicy salted radish.

eAYzsgl.jpg

Not a big fan of typical white wines but am a massive fan of (German) Riesling.

jfTt2Q0.jpg

I was walking through the vineyards in Neef a year ago... (Look at the label in photo above.)

Y4wASRt.jpg

• Like 18

I blew my right knee out yesterday while tiling the shower. It slipped off the cushion I had over the threshold, and blew up like an airbag.  Barely slept last night, and tried to stay off the knee today. But hubby and kiddos needed dinner, and my son is not back yet from stream fishing- so no rainbows..  Went with the next best (fast) thing...tuna casserole. :D

IMG_2621.JPG

• Like 9
  • Sad 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

I blew my right knee out yesterday while tiling the shower. It slipped off the cushion I had over the threshold, and blew up like an airbag.  Barely slept last night, and tried to stay off the knee today. But hubby and kiddos needed dinner, and my son is not back yet from stream fishing- so no rainbows..  Went with the next best (fast) thing...tuna casserole. :D

IMG_2621.JPG

Dislocated my kneecap once so I know how you feel.  My sympathies and best wishes for s speedy recovery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sloppy Joes, I keep working to improve them... Today we had shiitake on hand from doing stir-fry.  Turns out they are amazing in a sloppy joe (I discovered adding red pepper a long time ago really helps)

I use my own spices, chili powder, cumin, Worcester sauce, ketchup, salt, sugar, with tomato sauce and 80% lean beef so some cornstarch to thicken it (really helps with mouth feel keeping all that fat in there)

Of course it's on homemade MC bread hamburger buns!  Yummy!

20180506_190626.thumb.jpg.5ae993720ffd48553a5f3959c502701a.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

3ABA3D37-06C8-48C1-844D-4DE268DE0DC5.thumb.jpeg.48771d545144e0d2a0dc1aaec7663bd8.jpeg

Miso soup, cucumber pickle and mixed rice (Takikomi). 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog