• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

It all looks like dessert to me.  Top is a mocha brownie, to the right of that a date bar with cream cheese frosting and

the green deal  is a matcha mousse with raspberry sauce.  Am I close9_9   We need a tongue in cheek emoji

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Shelby That fried chicken looks great!  Do you deep fry or shallow pan fry them?  What do you use for a coating?

Oh thank you!

I shallow pan fry--probably about 1 3/4 "-2" of oil.  I soak the chicken in a beaten egg mixed with buttermilk.  While that soaks I get a large ziplock and dump in some flour along with Lawry's salt, black pepper and garlic.  Seal the bag and shake it up.  Take chicken out of the buttermilk and throw it in the ziplock.  Seal and shake and then fry.

• Like 2

Last night's dinner made from a store bought rotisserie chicken.

I bought a rotisserie chicken on my way to work with the idea of using some of it to make a sandwich for lunch. Instead I just ate one of the legs and brought the rest home.

I removed the breasts and then added the back, other leg and wings to a cast iron pan and roasted the bones for 30 minutes, on high heat, just long enough to get some drippings and brown bits in the roasting pan.

Removed the bones, added a little butter and made a gravy using chicken broth, flour, lots of pepper and some sage.

5ae7458294409_HotChickenSandwichApril29th2018.thumb.jpg.9d7d4c11d5910015d02014e8988d46f2.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised that I could make a gravy off of a rotisserie chicken. Gravy was so good that I made mashed potatoes rather than our traditional french fries to go with  hot chicken sandwiches.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Last night's dinner made from a store bought rotisserie chicken.

I bought a rotisserie chicken on my way to work with the idea of using some of it to make a sandwich for lunch. Instead I just ate one of the legs and brought the rest home.

I removed the breasts and then added the back, other leg and wings to a cast iron pan and roasted the bones for 30 minutes, on high heat, just long enough to get some drippings and brown bits in the roasting pan.

Removed the bones, added a little butter and made a gravy using chicken broth, flour, lots of pepper and some sage.

5ae7458294409_HotChickenSandwichApril29th2018.thumb.jpg.9d7d4c11d5910015d02014e8988d46f2.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised that I could make a gravy off of a rotisserie chicken. Gravy was so good that I made mashed potatoes rather than our traditional french fries to go with  hot chicken sandwiches.

We eat a LOT of rotisserie chickens.  I save the scraps and bones and make my stock with it every few weeks.  It is every bit as good as the stock I make from fresh home-roasted bones.  

And, for an extra bit of info - longtime (ago) eG'er @racheld  (mom of @caroled) has a really delicious little sauce that she puts together for rotisserie chicken.  It takes about 90 seconds to make.  

• Like 6

@Kim Shook, I don't often buy rotisserie chickens but when I do, it is usually for a quick lunch, either to just pick at or to make club house sandwiches, etc.. 

When I roast a chicken I want gravy.  Either for hot chicken sandwiches or mashed potatoes.   So I was happy that I could get enough brown bits to actually make a gravy.  Makes for a quick and easy

dinner on a work night.

@scubadoo97,  love salt so if that contributed, it works for me.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

Fried chicken, heavenly garden asparagus and blue cheese scalloped potatoes

I check the asparagus bed twice a day, every day and nothing yet, but I can't wait for that to change!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

I'm mystified. I have no idea is on that plate.

You mentioned spinach, and there's something green, but it doesn't look like spinach...

Dinner04302018.png

OK, clockwise from top...

The brown stuff is Khachapuri, a 67% hydration yeast bread stuffed with cheese.  The bread is formed by spreading the proofed dough out by hand, much like a pizza.  Then topping with a mound cheese and folding up like a dumpling.  The bread is then inverted and gently flattened.  Closest thing I can think of is a calzone.  But it is not like a calzone.

The Khachapuri is baked at a low temperature, 170 C.  Egg wash is optional.  I had no more bowls.

Khachapuri04302018.png

Perhaps I stuffed with too much cheese.  After baking the crust is laved with butter, cut into wedges, and served warm.

Next, the pinkish white stuff is chicken -- roast with savory, Georgian red pepper, and cayenne.  That should have been easy.  The red stuff is walnuts, specifically red walnuts, after a day or so of this...

Premier04252018.png

The green stuff is indeed spinach.  Well, mostly spinach.  Stir-fried green scallions and cilantro are tossed with blanched, chopped spinach, and bound with a sauce of garlic, red pepper, marigold, and walnuts.

This plus the pork stock resulted in much dishwasherlyness.

Pots04302018.png

The third load is going now.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

I check the bed twice a day, every day and nothing yet, but I can't wait for that to change!

HC

Wow! You mean I can grow asparagus in my bed? Never would’ve thought of that. xDxD:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

28216623-B299-410E-B42F-6EEDF0DB8706.thumb.jpeg.39c869296f6fe69eba47ed814b32cfa8.jpeg

Did not look this pink in real life! Small salad/salsa of tomatoes, scallions, jalapeño and lime juice. Split mini pita topped with ham,  scallions, mozzarella and cheddar and given a brief trip under the broiler before being sprinkled with a little smoked paprika. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Khachapuri

I am sure there are as many interpretations of this bread as there are Georgians who eat it.   Nonetheless this is the picture I have of Georgian cheese bread.   This could explain why your photograph was so hard to interpret — for me at least.  

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am sure there are as many interpretations of this bread as there are Georgians who eat it.   Nonetheless this is the picture I have of Georgian cheese bread.   This could explain why your photograph was so hard to interpret — for me at least.  

According to my sources that would be Adjaruli Khachapuri.  Mine was supposed to be Imeretian Khachapuri.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Imeretian Khachapuri.

Who knew there were so many  recognized  versions.  Thank you.

Three versions of Georgian cheese bread.

And I’ll still bet that this only skims the surface. 

Nonetheless I have a vision in my head and it will take a lot to nudge it out of there.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

A couple of meals lately:

Zeroodles Rice with Oat bran - fried up with diced bell peppers, onion and Chinese sausage

5ae7fd01c772f_ZeroodleFriedRice4892.jpg.b1bf6052214d87e6d293633e6a6cf238.jpg

Cantonese Shrimp Egg Foo Young and Baked Chicken Wings

5ae7fd0134552_ShrimpEggFooYoung4893.jpg.bd03d2876fd91c9001235fa250f091bd.jpg

First BBQ steak of the season, with Skillet Gnocchi (store bought), and stir-fried mixed bell peppers and corn-on-the-cob

5ae7fd00827ed_1stBBQsteakgnocchi4890.jpg.b6f98bec96c8507dbc92f1326216afaf.jpg

I've seen the skillet gnocchi ads and thought my little granddaughters would enjoy them. We all did!

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

A couple more meals:

Chicken and Bittermelon in Black Bean Garlic sauce and Zeroodle Rice

5ae7ff5b0ea60_BittermelonRice4855.jpg.0d3702cb3e46c9788e653ae83faaefcb.jpg

Steamed Chicken with Chinese Sausage, Wood Ear and Shitaki Mushrooms 

5ae7ff5bae3ff_MushroomChicken4836.jpg.e9a3c5fe971fa8ccb0723cb6d9ee048a.jpg

Pork and Bean Sprouts Stir-fry

5ae7ff5c47d83_PorkBeanSprouts4860.jpg.8a80a306f4fb53eef5cdbf4c0716f68c.jpg

Prime Rib Roast with Crispy Roasted  Vegetables (carrot fries and cauliflower coated with low-carb breading)

5ae7ff5ce24ab_PrimeRibCrispyVeg4839.jpg.09359f2acb0c0157f1c98f02b8b56a7f.jpg

Tofu in Oyster Sauce:

Tofu in Oyster sauce 4858.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com