• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

5D1AC920-8910-48DD-A70E-30C0B2DBE0F2.thumb.jpeg.45fe918a7bab3ac36b151ea87087e308.jpeg

Spinach steamed and then seasoned with a little toasted sesame oil before being topped with a fried duck egg.

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

After digging around in the freezer I found some salmon.  A very welcome change from the usual.  I sv'd it and made a mustard cream sauce to go with.  

IMG_4415.jpg.a88b82499610c6408f2d63bd4dd9f894.jpg

Looks delicious.

Do I spy the San Francisco Treat?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Just now, chileheadmike said:

Looks delicious.

Do I spy the San Francisco Treat?

Dammit.  Yes.  It's like my need for StoveTop Stuffing.  And probably the closest I'll ever get to San Francisco.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Dammit.  Yes.  It's like my need for StoveTop Stuffing.  And probably the closest I'll ever get to San Francisco.

:) No judgement. I've been known to eat a Totino's frozen pizza. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

and Ive had TJ's uncured Pepperoni pizza a few times.

BTW

@ Shelby

https://www.pepperidgefarm.com/product-finder?category=2374

https://www.pepperidgefarm.com/?s=cornbread+stuffing

with very little work :

cornbread S

sausage  , toasted pecans ,( or walnuts ),  apples , dried cranberries ( TJ's ) , Chicken or Turkey broth for the stock ( Minors soup Base + water + butter )

would put ST-Sutt  to shame.

just saying.

the other Pepp. stufings work well to , if you have noir Matured Enough to appreciate CornBread

the other packs on the above are still nice to try.

and they go on sale !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

It's a day of learning.  First Soupy on the Breakfast thread and now San Francisco Treat:

I don’t think I’ve ever had it. Then there seem to be a lot of things I haven’t had. I guess it has something to do with being born in Britain and just not catching up. :D

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes the advert for Rice A Roni was someone hanging off a cable car on a hill in SF singing the jingle. We had it on occasion. It got my mom into the mode of pilaf using Uncle Ben's converted rice which yields a more al dente grain. Lightly sauteed first in butter or margarine and then water and flavoring was added. Pretty foolproof. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

:) No judgement. I've been known to eat a Totino's frozen pizza. 

:D

Nah,  I don't feel judged....just thought I could sneak the rice past you guys.  You're too on the ball. xD

And, also, I've had the damn jingle from the commercial stuck in my head all day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 4/18/2018 at 5:22 PM, Captain said:

Dinner was Huevos rancheros 

IMG_20180418_191146.thumb.jpg.46d1a8a72c7956c12e84f0e8cd00e925.jpg

Lord have mercy, but that looks good.

12 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Salisbury steak is a passion of mine and a seemingly never ending quest to get to the college cafeteria dinner level. Success in this quest has eluded me for years, yet, every so often, I launch a renewed effort. Last night was such an endeavor. This one, though somewhat admirable, has  yet to arrive at the promised land. It is an effort that, unlike the mystery meat croquet, will continue, until I get it right. The secret seems to lie in just the right combination of French onion soup, Worcestershire sauce and powdered mustard.

IMG_0234.thumb.JPG.15c59aab992065416b1e383f28331b1b.JPG

My original plan was to cook all four and serve them in a dish at the table, hence the pot holder there. The size of them, however, thwarted me into cooking just two, but the pot holder remains in the picture just to add to my pain.

HC

IMG_0236.thumb.JPG.d2576bb41c3ccb123d6a8ff13449b326.JPG

Lawry's Seasoned Salt. It'll make the difference.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

:D

Nah,  I don't feel judged....just thought I could sneak the rice past you guys.  You're too on the ball. xD

And, also, I've had the damn jingle from the commercial stuck in my head all day.

Well, you can always replace it with "Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Weiner...."

When I was a small child, there was a TV commercial for a Nashville, TN, area chain of dry cleaners, the Happy Daze cleaners. I will never forget that jingle; it is engrained on my auditory nerve.

"At HAP-py Daze, we CLEAN your clothes

The SOFT touch way with SAN-itone.

Make THIS your happy, HAP-py day,

Just CALL us on the SAN-iphone."

Lord. More than 50 years ago and I can still hear the obnoxious thing.

• Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

Lawry's Seasoned Salt. It'll make the difference.

Well, you can always replace it with "Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Weiner...."

When I was a small child, there was a TV commercial for a Nashville, TN, area chain of dry cleaners, the Happy Daze cleaners. I will never forget that jingle; it is engrained on my auditory nerve.

"At HAP-py Daze, we CLEAN your clothes

The SOFT touch way with SAN-itone.

Make THIS your happy, HAP-py day,

Just CALL us on the SAN-iphone."

Lord. More than 50 years ago and I can still hear the obnoxious thing.

Gee.

Thanks.

:|

Sigh.

xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

LOL,  I'd bet money that I"m the only person here that gets this jingle stuck in their head.

"Sam Parraconi  pack his oranges in a bag"    It goes on for several more verses but that is

the jest of it.  As a newly minted Girl Scout, I went with my troop to a radio show and that

was one of the commercials.  

The other one wasn't food related but just as strange. "Bandini is the word for steer manure"  I

think it was one of the first companies to bag it up and sell it.  Citified shit so to speak.

I was a big fan of Rice a Roni for years.  And now I want some!

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I was a big fan of Rice a Roni for years.  And now I want some!

So are you suggesting that I need to try it?:)

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

No, your level of cooking is way above mine!  I'm still wallowing around in the land of the occasional foil envelope for  a sauce mix.

The day I post a photo of a meal, you will know I have arrived as a rightful egullet member.  Right now I'm still a groupie.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

No, your level of cooking is way above mine!  I'm still wallowing around in the land of the occasional foil envelope for  a sauce mix.

The day I post a photo of a meal, you will know I have arrived as a rightful egullet member.  Right now I'm still a groupie.  

Don’t overestimate my skills or underestimate yours! You are as rightful as anyone else.  You will lose that right when you die of starvation in the midst of plenty and not until!   We all manage to feed ourselves and sometimes others and that gives us all the right to membership. xD

Now I will surely buy some and try it.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

I know it's not exactly Sardinian but Bugialli's vermicelli in Sicilian tuna sauce:

Dinner04212018.png

Pasta not tossed before photographing.  And I used linguini.

• Like 11

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yesterday's dinner - baked mac and cheese, made with sharp cheddar, smoked gouda and some parm.

Topped with buttered corn flakes (the corny step-brother of breadcrumbs).

IMG_20180317_200218.thumb.jpg.e03644420d774b9d7051d93f63ff90d0.jpgIMG_20180317_201547.thumb.jpg.7ba895fe3f21a8e4e475d64fec1bd9cb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

So are you suggesting that I need to try it?:)

I don't think you would hate it.  It's easy to make.  It's one of my comfort foods.  You might find it a bit salty....we like it, but we are salt junkies.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I know it's not exactly Sardinian but Bugialli's vermicelli in Sicilian tuna sauce:

Dinner04212018.png

Pasta not tossed before photographing.  And I used linguini.

This looks heavenly.

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Fried shrimp po-boys, dressed.

HC

IMG_0255.thumb.JPG.d236c79a68da917ec44108526818db4e.JPGIMG_0260.thumb.JPG.87758304180af9169aaaab6c896469c5.JPG

Your meals always always speak to me.   I wish I could find bread rolls like this somewhere---or make them.

1 hour ago, shain said:

Yesterday's dinner - baked mac and cheese, made with sharp cheddar, smoked gouda and some parm.

Topped with buttered corn flakes (the corny step-brother of breadcrumbs).

IMG_20180317_200218.thumb.jpg.e03644420d774b9d7051d93f63ff90d0.jpgIMG_20180317_201547.thumb.jpg.7ba895fe3f21a8e4e475d64fec1bd9cb.jpg

I want this right now.

I decided to try making ravioli using wonton wrappers.  I think @Ann_T did this a while back.  I am thrilled to have tried this and to learn that they are awesome!  Just like pasta!  I was amazed.  

I used these that I got at the Asian market

IMG_4418.jpg.123c4e59c15983e0bf1da178af727ea6.jpg

I made two different kinds

Venison--cooked with onion, garlic, basil etc. mixed with an egg, cottage cheese and parm. cheese

IMG_4416.jpg.dece71566112b6b09c3d521a1cd0a726.jpg

Spinach mixed with egg, cottage cheese and parm. cheese

IMG_4417.jpg.4e5080162e3c16f4fd7db5c81cf5521c.jpg

IMG_4419.JPG.4f9a9c2bd20e560c7047b58855f21e53.JPG

IMG_4422.jpg.0ef32c1bf204ffac60fdcf7dd7c94f60.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg.294ee1150a89b26ec0c32642dadca44b.jpg

IMG_4421.jpg.baec39dba34ea802a6f8a3479b4ace86.jpg

Thawed out the last batch of my sauce from last summer ( :( hurry up tomatoes in the garden, please grow big and strong)

IMG_4424.jpg.0fd86cb809e00a66366612c1417e0c06.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1