• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

58 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Chicken strips and homemade honey mustard sauce.  

@Shelby,  doesn't look like a breading.  Did you use a tempura type batter for the strips?  I wish I had seen this earlier, we might have been having it

for breakfast.    But I already cut up the chicken in to cubes for souvlaki.

5ad4bd4293d91_SpinachSaladwithWarmbacondressingApril15th20181.thumb.jpg.42359e2c46cc54e85318d3a692ef4ad0.jpg

Inspired by @robirdstx's spinach salad, I made Moe a baby spinach salad with a warm bacon dressing for dinner last night. 

• Like 14

15 hours ago, Raamo said:

In Japan I had curry with wieners,  so I tried to recreate.  This version I made has too much onion but was still quite tasty.  And the frankfurters are excellent.  I'll keep working to refine it :)

20180415_174841.thumb.jpg.8bcfa5522b6d9dc6bfcee16092b8524c.jpg

Primo! Just missing some corn with kewpie.

Back in (food) hell now. Sichuan meets Tirol. Heaven-facing atheist!

3ahOTyO.jpg

Sichuan bean paste, Lao Gan Ma and heaven-facing chillies I got in Chengdu years ago (still OK, I pulse them later for something else).

gzrISSU.jpg

Some Speck in this food comes from one of these. I had to open my bag and took everything out so they could see the Speck and book were not explosive blocks. Happens every time when I bring back Speck, so annoying to repack I will have to check in my rucksack from now on.

Ujqun9v.jpg

Yesterday's last dinner in Austria was thoroughly Tyrolean but the presentation was all mine, had to use up the last bits and pieces.

Tyroleans love their dumplings and it goes way back. Alpine regions were historically poor, the food was starchy and simple.

Cheese dumplings in a broth.

2FfVglP.jpg

White ones are filled with spinach, green ones with grey cheese.

kRFxkpa.jpg

Spinach dumplings with crisp-fried Speck and ramps.

PdWhURc.jpg

• Like 14

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, Dante said:

Tonight's dinner: Grilled cheese (with a touch of smoked paprika and brown mustard) with the remaining bratwurst soup from a couple of nights ago

30546596_10209368979579893_1952182741_o.jpg

Deeee-lish-shush!

That's the ticket. I've never had bratwurst in soup form, I gotta run home and try!

• Like 2

Sunday's dog dinner.......

So I ordered Short Ribs and the guy asks me how to I like my Ribs cooked......... Ribs are slow cooked and do not come in rare or medium or well done!!!!!!!! 

And they were disgusting with a load of some sweet molasses sauce......another one bite the dust.

bSozBaF.jpg

Salmon hidden under more gravy?????

Cd1v32S.jpg

Steak with potato mash and a a tree decoration?????

QUgkoqt.jpg

Another rubbish dinner where I came home to eat a Gouda sandwich with Beurre D'Isigny and Walnuts dressing.  Now that was yummy.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 6

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Shelby,  doesn't look like a breading.  Did you use a tempura type batter for the strips?  I wish I had seen this earlier, we might have been having it

for breakfast.    But I already cut up the chicken in to cubes for souvlaki.

5ad4bd4293d91_SpinachSaladwithWarmbacondressingApril15th20181.thumb.jpg.42359e2c46cc54e85318d3a692ef4ad0.jpg

Inspired by @robirdstx's spinach salad, I made Moe a baby spinach salad with a warm bacon dressing for dinner last night. 

It was a seasoned flour breading--soaked the strips in buttermilk and egg first and then dredged.  I think the lighting made it look like a tempura.

8 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Sunday's dog dinner.......

So I ordered Short Ribs and the guy asks me how to I like my Ribs cooked......... Ribs are slow cooked and do not come in rare or medium or well done!!!!!!!! 

And they were disgusting with a load of some sweet molasses sauce......another one bite the dust.

bSozBaF.jpg

Salmon hidden under more gravy?????

Cd1v32S.jpg

Steak with potato mash and a a tree decoration?????

QUgkoqt.jpg

Another rubbish dinner where I came home to eat a Gouda sandwich with Beurre D'Isigny and Walnuts dressing.  Now that was yummy.

Where do you buy the butter?

51 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Slow cooked green beans & tomato:x (from the garden last year), baked sweet potato with dukka and pork tenderloin.  Only one contain of those lovely beans & tomato left:(

DSC02375.thumb.jpg.51bd0b53298c740fc3100d995484a52e.jpg

My stomach is making gurgling noises.

58 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I got all excited until I saw the price, just shy of $160 For 8.8 ounces.  Guess I'll continue to go without. 

• Haha 1

Fried Bologna, Peanut Butter Sandwich on a Craisin Bagel

Ok, I admit, this started out as a joke to post in the $5 meal thread, but the joke's on me because this was really delicious! And it was less than $5, I have $2 more for dessert!

It started with an idea for Michael Mina's Peanut Butter hamburger, I thought I'd get quarter pound of beef and a can of peanut butter and one hamburger roll. Nope. Not even close, that was more like $6. So I went next door to the Dollar store and substituted everything.

They didn't have peanut butter, so I got spicy whole peanuts, then blitzed them in my FP. This was delicious! Worth the price of admission, just for this.

IMG_3059.thumb.JPG.9cd67f672c774f9f83efbb775d39ac90.JPG

They didn't have hamburger patties (they usually do), so I picked up some bologna for $1!

IMG_3061.thumb.JPG.410a63c6735b8504ff80c93dc6003599.JPG

I got some oil for the PB, another $1, and an entire pound cake for dessert!

Next, I stole a bagel from the lunchroom, they only had craisin ones left, so that's what I took. Add to the madness.

IMG_3063.thumb.JPG.eb5c84a3a60c07dcc244d2161735f7c7.JPG

There's the toasted bagel with pan-fried bologna.

IMG_3066.thumb.JPG.7a53ab820e758b38b469d05ba28cc875.JPG

Amazing! And I'm not just saying that, you gotta try it, it's undescribable. It's very fatty from the mayo and bologna, very rich but crunchy from the homemade peanut butter, and the sweetness of the bread brings it all together.

@ImportantElements I stand corrected, this was a cool challenge and I enjoyed myself. And I found a meal I can eat for $3. I may do this again next Monday.

P.S. this is a Smokeydoke original creation, first posted here. What should I call it? I'm thinking The Giada.

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Just now, Smokeydoke said:

Fried Bologna, Peanut Butter Sandwich on a Craisin Bagel

Ok, I admit, this started out as a joke to post in the $5 meal thread, but the joke's on me because this was really delicious! And it was less than $5, I have $2 more for dessert!

It started with an idea for Michael Mina's Peanut Butter hamburger, I thought I'd get quarter pound of beef and a can of peanut butter and one hamburger roll. Nope. Not even close, that was more like $6. So I went next door to the Dollar store and substituted everything.

They didn't have peanut butter, so I got spicy whole peanuts, then blitzed them in my FP. This was delicious! Worth the price of admission, just for this.

IMG_3059.thumb.JPG.9cd67f672c774f9f83efbb775d39ac90.JPG

They didn't have hamburger patties (they usually do), so I picked up some bologna for $1!

IMG_3061.thumb.JPG.410a63c6735b8504ff80c93dc6003599.JPG

I got some oil for the PB, another $1, and an entire pound cake for dessert!

Next, I stole a bagel from the lunchroom, they only had craisin ones left, so that's what I took. Add to the madness.

IMG_3063.thumb.JPG.eb5c84a3a60c07dcc244d2161735f7c7.JPG

There's the toasted bagel with pan-fried bologna.

IMG_3066.thumb.JPG.7a53ab820e758b38b469d05ba28cc875.JPG

Amazing! And I'm not just saying that, you gotta try it, it's undescribable. It's very fatty from the mayo and bologna, very rich but crunchy from the homemade peanut butter, and the sweetness of the bread brings it all together.

@ImportantElements I stand corrected, this was a cool challenge and I enjoyed myself. And I found a meal I can eat for $3. I may do this again next Monday.

P.S. this is a Smokeydoke original creation, first posted here. What should I call it? I'm thinking The Giada.

IMG_3064.JPG

WOW !

That is purely amazing :) looks very good too

• Like 1

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel