• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

13 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Can I ask how much a head of Cauli costs you guys on average? (I know there is probably a thread out there but i'm not that invested - I can't afford to be ^_^). The ones in my nearest store today were $8 a head!!! O.o And said head (I weighed the biggest I could find) was 620g with leaves. I know they're out of season but wow. Or perhaps everyone elses prices are similar? 

Cauliflower is in season now at my local farmers market here in So Cal. I usually pay $4.00 for a nice big head of organic cauliflower, over 4 lbs with some leaves.  Yellow and purple are usually the same price but slightly smaller heads.  Romanesco is usually $1 more per head. 

• Like 1

823BB67E-0556-42B0-8A1D-517245ADD359.thumb.jpeg.ff9792996b406ce20b2784702d7262ab.jpeg

Sv’d chuck eye (56°C x 24 hrs),  roasted carrots potatoes and onions and some horseradish. 

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Rotuts, for me Halibut is second to none.  The only fish that I like.  Even though I grew up in Ontario,

it was Halibut Fish Chips that were sold in the Fish and Chip shops.   And Halibut Fish and Chips is the only fish and chips I will order.

Promised Moe I would make him  Halibut Fish and Chips this week.   

Love halibut but when at school also found walleye which I adore.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

18 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Love halibut but when at school also found walleye which I adore.

@suzilightning ,  Moe is fond of lake fish, like walleye and pickerel, white fish,  and perch.  Was always on the menu when we lived Michigan, New York State , and Sault Ste. Marie.    So he would often order it.   Not me.  Hate fish with bones.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@suzilightning ,  Moe is fond of lake fish, like walleye and pickerel, white fish,  and perch.  Was always on the menu when we lived Michigan, New York State , and Sault Ste. Marie.    So he would often order it.   Not me.  Hate fish with bones.

Funny...I don't remember a lot of bones in the walleye.  Maybe because I was eating filets not steaks.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

Bumping this so you can get an answer. I think the last time I looked at a head of cauliflower it ran around $3 (USD) per head. I didn't weigh it, but 620g sounds like approximately the same size. We had quite a discussion a year or two ago about why cauliflower prices at the time had exploded. They seem to have deflated since then.

Varies by market. $5 at hideous Acme...$2.50 at the International Market...$3 at Gigante

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_20180331_192404798.thumb.jpg.d4b74914b1ec679d1bad764dc85fc573.jpg

Our first go at making Khao Kha Moo (Thai pork leg rice). It is pork leg (with plenty of fat and skin) braised in a spiced broth, served with pickled mustard greens, a chili-vinegar sauce and egg.

We fell in love with this dish at the famous "cowboy hat lady" Khao Kha Moo stand in Chiang Mai:

IMG_20171119_183707989.thumb.jpg.ae3240b4f7f096c6319a5ea78805da5c.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

Starting to get my mojo back from jet-lag. Granddaughters spent the afternoon, and fulfilling their requests for supper kept me going!
                                         Char siu ribs  5ac085f820eab_Charsiuribs4751.jpg.1548750fbbb8ddd3f3e3ed0d0e1c9619.jpg

Shrimp Chow Mein 5ac085f8b0006_ShrimpChowmein4748.jpg.29977ede6027b7fa56612c2a5a57dfae.jpg

• Like 20
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Chicken Wings. Not for me. I'm rubbish at eating meat off the bone. Its a waste of time, and food, the boys like them though.

Trimmed whole wings into flats and drummers and then into lollipops. Wish I could say I get faster and neater with each one but I would be lying. Tips go into my voodoo stock bag in the Freezer. 

20180401_125350.thumb.jpg.80a91d984d4e272620e29c79adab6f1e.jpg

Marinade in Greek Yog, hot sauce, herbs & spices - I don't think I made it to 11. 

20180401_182638.thumb.jpg.b44620da34ca451a4527785007716fde.jpg

Dipped in Almond flour because - carbs. Waiting for their hot oil bath outside. 

20180401_172424.thumb.jpg.16420b7f44b0f0bce25f28c72b0da199.jpg

Finni. 

20180401_180755.thumb.jpg.ee6bec1a1721b37ecda40ed1a009c2a7.jpg

Would be better with more carbs to be honest. But an ok version. 

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

This passing weekend was passover eve, I've spent the seder with family, which was great fun but not exiting culinary-wise.

As for my home cooking, I'm still not feeling the holiday-cooking spirit, so I made some hametz (non-passover kosher) lasagna. I'll probably get to craving mazebrie and kneidlach soon enough.

This was filled with mushrooms - champignon and wild boletes. Spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, plenty of nutmeg and pepper.

IMG_20180309_205518.thumb.jpg.32fc45c37a13d80a1db2ef3fd12e91be.jpgIMG_20180309_205637.thumb.jpg.6f9ff87bb1cb694ef0ff9081e69bd72a.jpgIMG_20180309_211823.thumb.jpg.b4dfadc465fe486c34107b78525e9915.jpg

• Like 23
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

A little treat for myself (after watching Peter Rabbit with the little one for Easter):

Dry-cured a Chuck eye steak for 2 days with pink salt, brown sugar and jerk seasoning (mostly allspice, thyme and chili). After that removed spices, rubbed with liquid smoke and SV for 24h at 135 oF. Excellent corned beef ...

IMG_0608.thumb.JPG.84e012cbfd5d0317262dd7e90ede2aea.JPG

Soft "ciabatta" roll (HK style), dijonnaise made with hot Löwensenf extra, thinly cut corned beef, grated Swiss cheese. Brushed liberally with butter and made into a panini with two hot pans. Pickled cuke because I need to eat more veggies ...

IMG_0610.thumb.JPG.7dfc1585e9888be1ed9d1fe637cb9d6b.JPG

IMG_0620.thumb.JPG.cb48cd549fcac2c3487fca0812454703.JPG

Very, very few things are sooo satisfying !

Edited by Duvel
Time for "thyme" (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

32 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Dry-cured a Chuck eye steak for 2 days with pink salt, brown sugar and jerk seasoning (mostly allspice, thyme and chili). After that removed spices, rubbed with liquid smoke and SV for 24h at 135 oF. Excellent corned beef ...

Would never have thought of doing such a thing. Damn. Just cooked up my two chuck eyes. Will have to wait some time to acquire any more.  I am not a huge fan of corn beef but something small like this… Thank you! 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Would never have thought of doing such a thing. Damn. Just cooked up my two chuck eyes. Will have to wait some time to acquire any more.  I am not a huge fan of corn beef but something small like this… Thank you! 

It works pretty well with pork neck steaks as well. Bit higher temp for the SV and you end up with a moist & tender sweet ham-style product.

2 hours ago, shain said:

This passing weekend was passover eve, I've spent the seder with family, which was great fun but not exiting culinary-wise.

As for my home cooking, I'm still not feeling the holiday-cooking spirit, so I made some hametz (non-passover kosher) lasagna. I'll probably get to craving mazebrie and kneidlach soon enough.

This was filled with mushrooms - champignon and wild boletes. Spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, plenty of nutmeg and pepper.

IMG_20180309_205518.thumb.jpg.32fc45c37a13d80a1db2ef3fd12e91be.jpgIMG_20180309_205637.thumb.jpg.6f9ff87bb1cb694ef0ff9081e69bd72a.jpgIMG_20180309_211823.thumb.jpg.b4dfadc465fe486c34107b78525e9915.jpg

Chag Sameach Lekulam!  That looks fantastic, Shain.

My mom made quite a spread last night for 15 of us, some fantastic duck fat (typical is chicken fat, this year she tried my idea on for size!) matzah balls & chicken soup, confit duck legs, beef brisket, meatloaf, braised red cabbage, tzimmus (shredded carrots / raisins ), cucumber salad, pureed spinach, beet salad, sweet potatoes, and the list goes on.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

A little treat for myself (after watching Peter Rabbit with the little one for Easter):

IMG_0608.thumb.JPG.84e012cbfd5d0317262dd7e90ede2aea.JPG

Soft "ciabatta" roll (HK style), dijonnaise made with hot Löwensenf extra, thinly cut corned beef, grated Swiss cheese. Brushed liberally with butter and made into a panini with two hot pans. Pickled cuke because I need to eat more veggies ...

IMG_0610.thumb.JPG.7dfc1585e9888be1ed9d1fe637cb9d6b.JPG

IMG_0620.thumb.JPG.cb48cd549fcac2c3487fca0812454703.JPG

Very, very few things are sooo satisfying !

That looks amazing.  How much liquid smoke do you figure you used?  

• Like 1

On Thursday next, two (or maybe three) young Chinese friends are coming to see me. They have never been to my city before and very politely asked me to entertain them for the day, which I am more than happy to do.  Apart from visiting some must-see spots in town, they have also asked that

a) Take them to the best place for the local, legendary speciality,- luosifen or snail noodles, for lunch

b)  Cook them dinner.

Of course I am happy to do so, but they have made a few specific requests.

i) They want to taste and perhaps learn the art of poached eggs. Poached eggs are unknown to most Chinese people and they barely believe it's possible. My friends just saw a picture of one I made a few months back.

ii) They want raw oysters with lemon juice. This is particularly brave. Most locals consider eating anything raw utterly foolhardy, but raw oysters are beyond comprehension! I mentioned a while back that that was the only sensible way to eat them and they thought I was joking, but finally realised I was serious. So, bless them, they have decided to try.

iii) They want a real hamburger and fries as opposed to a McD's

iv) They want some Sichuan food

Now, I'm comfortable with all the above, but together? Poached egg, raw oysters, burger, fries and mapo tofu, anyone?

I'm going to have to put my thinking head on. In the meantime, I am still eating.

Tonight, I messed about and came up with a sort of ravioli which would have every Italian mama rolling in her grave or send her there if she hadn't already departed. A somewhat Chinese stuffing of pork, shiitake and garlic chives.

rav0.thumb.jpg.72fa6170331cfb533e4c7d50c5aaa780.jpg

rav1.thumb.jpg.79f4e21daff51d00ebb195837b983840.jpg

I served these (and more) with a long slow-cooked fresh tomato sauce. I totally forgot to photograph the finished dish. Too busy thinking about poached eggs with oysters.

Then,

suannai.thumb.jpg.1d419ac3e37bd2133400012b581162e6.jpg

Mulberries with home made yoghurt. I may well serve my friends that, too. They have no idea that yoghurt isn't thin, sweet industrial effluent.

Edited by liuzhou
Got the day wrong and the number may have changed. (log)
  • Like 20

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

On Wednesday next, two young Chinese friends are coming to see me. They have never been to my city before and very politely asked me to entertain them for the day, which I am more than happy to do.  Apart from visiting some must-see spots in town, they have also asked that

a) Take them to the best place for the local, legendary speciality,- luosifen or snail noodles, for lunch

b)  Cook them dinner.

Of course I am happy to do so, but they have made a few specific requests.

i) They want to taste and perhaps learn the art of poached eggs. Poached eggs are unknown to most Chinese people and they barely believe it's possible. My friends just saw a picture of one I made a few months back.

ii) They want raw oysters with lemon juice. This is particularly brave. Most locals consider eating anything raw utterly foolhardy, but raw oysters are beyond comprehension! I mentioned a while back that that was the only sensible way to eat them and they thought I was joking, but finally realised I was serious. So, bless them, they have decided to try.

iii) They want a real hamburger and fries as opposed to a McD's

iv) They want some Sichuan food

Now, I'm comfortable with all the above, but together? Poached egg, raw oysters, burger, fries and mapo tofu, anyone?

I'm going to have to put my thinking head on. In the meantime, I am still eating.

Tonight, I messed about and came up with a sort of ravioli which would have every Italian mama rolling in her grave or send her there if she hadn't yet departed. A somewhat Chinese stuffing of pork, shiitake and garlic chives.

rav0.thumb.jpg.72fa6170331cfb533e4c7d50c5aaa780.jpg

rav1.thumb.jpg.79f4e21daff51d00ebb195837b983840.jpg

I served these (and more) with a long slow-cooked fresh tomato sauce. I totally forgot to photograph the finished dish. Too busy thinking about poached eggs with oysters.

Then,

suannai.thumb.jpg.1d419ac3e37bd2133400012b581162e6.jpg

Mulberries with home made yoghurt. I may well serve my friends that, too. They have no idea that yoghurt isn't thin, sweet industrial effluent.

Oh those mulberries look to die for.  I wonder if we will get any this year......

For your meal.....do an early lunch and then spend the afternoon leisurely putting together your evening meal.

Oysters for hors d' oeuvres ....on the half shell with lemon wedges and some kind of hot sauce.

evening meal #1: Mini hamburgers--sliders if you will--topped with a poached egg and fries

evening meal #2: Mapo tofu

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

... do an early lunch and then spend the afternoon leisurely putting together your evening meal.

Oysters for hors d' oeuvres ....on the half shell with lemon wedges and some kind of hot sauce.

evening meal #1: Mini hamburgers--sliders if you will--topped with a poached egg and fries

evening meal #2: Mapo tofu

Good suggestions, but they have specifically requested that they have everything exactly as in the photographs they saw.

I think I'll do a three parts, three meals in one dinner. Breakfast (egg), lunch (oysters) and dinner (something Sichuan - maybe not mapo tofu).

They'll be happy with anything!

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

That looks amazing.  How much liquid smoke do you figure you used?  

Thanks !

I use this brand, a little less than a teaspoon for a 600 gr piece of meat (weight before curing).

WP_20180402_02_11_34_Pro.jpg

• Like 2