• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

On 2018-01-30 at 1:30 PM, ElsieD said:

So now I know of one place in Ontario that carries it which must mean that someone in these parts might.  Do you recall if it was a specialized brand or one of the well-known ones?

Took me a while to get you a response but here it is. 

743F87C4-FC63-4D78-ABF1-1EFF91FC8180.thumb.jpeg.323ed9384588e849d2a45eaeb46e6ece.jpeg

We found it today at Marilu’s market. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Took me a while to get you a response but here it is. 

743F87C4-FC63-4D78-ABF1-1EFF91FC8180.thumb.jpeg.323ed9384588e849d2a45eaeb46e6ece.jpeg

We found it today at Marilu’s market. 

$11.99, huh?  Well, at least that is for a whole pint.  Thanks for thinking of me.  We are coming that way in July for a family get-together, and I checked the distance from John's mom's place to the store.  12.5 kilometers, I'm sure we can get that in.  Along with Denninger's and the Dutch store.  May have to tack on an extra day.:biggrin:

28 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

$11.99, huh?  Well, at least that is for a whole pint.  Thanks for thinking of me.  We are coming that way in July for a family get-together, and I checked the distance from John's mom's place to the store.  12.5 kilometers, I'm sure we can get that in.  Along with Denninger's and the Dutch store.  May have to tack on an extra day.:biggrin:

Denninger's also carries the Sheldon Farm. Picked up a couple of bottles of chocolate milk there for half price the other day. Hubby and child made short work of them.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Denninger's also carries the Sheldon Farm. Picked up a couple of bottles of chocolate milk there for half price the other day. Hubby and child made short work of them.

That's good to know although Marilu's looks as though it would be worth a visit - at least from looking at their web site.

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That's good to know although Marilu's looks as though it would be worth a visit - at least from looking at their web site.

For sure - one of my favorites!

A while back I read that Italian Alfredo is not at all like it is in America.  I saw the Italian recipe on Facebook today and gave it a try.  The sauce is only pasta water, butter and Parmigiano Reggiano. No cream.  It was lighter tasting and good except the pasta water in the recipe was too salty for my taste. I'll cut it in half next time.

20180328_164147.jpg

• Like 18

16 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Teriyaki Sous Vide Crispy Skin Magret Duck Breast

Oh my that does look good. Today I picked up two magrets.  One is destined for duck bacon/prosciutto but I think the other one is going to get treatment very similar to yours!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Carats and Pearls

Corned beef is mostly fat. I am not a fat eater.

Using sous vide to cook the beef tender, so there is no need to cut cross grain. I was able to pull the corned beef to remove most of the fat and made a very traditional corned beef meal, carats :P, pearl potatoes, cabbage and corned beef.

dcarch

5abc4f6cecaa8_Cornedbbeefpulled.thumb.JPG.331f64c8b1f302bac2137166d81effda.JPG5abc4f6e5a158_Caratspearlsandcornedbeef.2.thumb.jpg.3777d72191fbfe8df39e8bfbbad59fae.jpg5abc4f6fcd3e8_Caratspearlsandcornedbeef.thumb.JPG.a1b57b20ecfba0267324f657a407d79b.JPG

• Like 18
  • Haha 2

Back home from Cuba...Shelby unfortunately the resort food was really bad. And I don't say that about much food...but it really was :( Now the food in Havana and Varadaro was delicious..flavours were good and strong and yummy. The resort was even lacking basic salt and pepper flavour and I saw something horrible in a fish dish on the first day :(

Back home and happy to cook again...played with some Cuban inspired flavours, Rice with lentils HAHAHHA I had no black beans in my pantry, cumin and coriander rubbed salmon and kale. F L A V O U R. 

I'm really not a food snob and wanted to enjoy the food but even the fruit was not great , it was equivalent to our Canadian winter fruit ..actually it was lesser :( BUT OMG THE OCEAN, the scenery, the all inclusive pina colada's ! 

29597600_10155339614507703_1324757721017002264_n.jpg

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Carats and Pearls

Corned beef is mostly fat. I am not a fat eater.

Using sous vide to cook the beef tender, so there is no need to cut cross grain. I was able to pull the corned beef to remove most of the fat and made a very traditional corned beef meal, carats :P, pearl potatoes, cabbage and corned beef.

dcarch

5abc4f6cecaa8_Cornedbbeefpulled.thumb.JPG.331f64c8b1f302bac2137166d81effda.JPG5abc4f6e5a158_Caratspearlsandcornedbeef.2.thumb.jpg.3777d72191fbfe8df39e8bfbbad59fae.jpg5abc4f6fcd3e8_Caratspearlsandcornedbeef.thumb.JPG.a1b57b20ecfba0267324f657a407d79b.JPG

I LOVE those carrot rocks!!! They would be great to propose with ;)

• Like 4

Vacations are great, but it is always good to be back at the helm in your own kitchen. I grilled cubed chuck steak, that had been marinated in Korean BBQ sauce and put on skewers and grilled some blanched and marinated vegetables. I served the lot  over jasmine rice with a pan sauce gravy. It came out well.

HC

P3280316.thumb.JPG.52b053680a967e5944458171f4b1dd5f.JPGP3280315.thumb.JPG.9496ee179e5e1e177b988b4b65eb80d1.JPG  

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 15

EC77BBC2-B4E5-4F73-B058-224B1D72B372.thumb.jpeg.8ba926f3dc444d06a004a6d0d3f64c83.jpeg

I spotted calves liver in the grocery store yesterday and just couldn’t resist. Liver and onions with steamed sugar snaps.

Edited to remove technology-gone-wild duplication. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I spotted calves liver in the grocery store yesterday and just couldn’t resist. Liver and onions with steamed sugar snaps.Liver and onions with steamed sugar snaps.

"So good they named it twice!"

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I know I've made and posted this before, but it is a favourite, so no apologies.

pork.thumb.jpg.202a1a6cc5d1148859af5600e3cfb8b2.jpg

Lean pork marinated in olive oil and lemon juice with garlic, crushed coriander seeds and chilli. Stir fried and served with rice and a simple red onion and tomato salad dressed with olive oil and rice wine vinegar vinaigrette and sprinkled with sea salt.

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

"So good they named it twice!"

Damn tI do try to catch these repetitions but it’s still early in the morning.  At least that’s my excuse. I will edit it so it is fixed.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Damn tI do try to catch these repetitions but it’s still early in the morning.  At least that’s my excuse. I will edit it so it is fixed.

Oh! I thought it was deliberate!

Can't have too much liver and onions.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Oh! I thought it was deliberate!

Can't have too much liver and onions.

I hereby bequeath to you and @Anna N my share of all the liver and onions in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com