• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

How many inches of snow did you get today? We got 14 inches (NY), very wet snow.

So heavy the snow blower couldn't do anything.

What's good for all the back breaking work?

Pork hock and black beans.

dcarch

5aa0becf0ce7d_porkhockblackbeans2.thumb.jpg.ac0188bdee2e50b5af26f5589757046d.jpg

5aa0bed0d1d8f_porkhockblackbeans.thumb.JPG.99bdd7ee3788a4c51584c0a521c2e1aa.JPG

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 16

Forgive me if this looks rather like the other night:  Alose Grillee again.  This time the shad was not overcooked...

Dinner03082018.png

In place of wild rice it was duck fat roast russets a la Kenji.  And Béarnaise instead of Hollandaise.  Finished the bottle of Chablis.  In my youth I fancied vineyards on the north side of the Serein.  Now I must make do.

• Like 13

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Fast and easy. The potatoes, which were being boiled, took longer to be done than the rest of the meal.

ei0yY0W.jpg

Kumquat slices and more roe on top.

uhwsO4y.jpg

About to lose all natural light right here so that's another reason to work fast.

rEFIqPZ.jpg

The fish is in season Jan through April.

LfMtHso.jpg

At 30 euros per kilo there's a need for proper identification.

EjucFVR.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful!  What is your sauce?

@JoNorvelleWalker  the shanks, after browning,  are cooked with chopped onions, carrots, celery, garlic, herbs de provence, tomato paste, red wine, salt and pepper and beef broth.  45 minutes in the IP, NPR.  All the bits are strained out and discarded.  What is left is reduced to as you see it on the plate, seasoning adjusted.  It is very good, if I do say so myself.

• Like 6

Chicken with Walnut Sauce, Tasting Georgia (p350)...

Chicken03092018.png

Served with Ispanakis Pkhali, Supra (p14)...

IspanakisPkhali03092018.png

Both dishes I had prepared before, but not for the same meal.  The breakthrough came when I realized despite being from two different cookbooks by two different authors the walnut sauce served with the chicken and the walnut sauce used to bind the pkhali were in fact the same sauce.

Accompanied by a highly untraditional boule...

Boule03092018.png

Wine was Mandili Mtsvane 2015, orange and strong and cloudy.  Able to approach the five cloves of pounded garlic.

Seldom do I partake of sweets but after a wineglass of 15 year Pusser's to cleanse the palate, my famous full fat ice cream paired with a Golden Fleece brand Georgian preserved walnut.  Truly quite exceptional...

IceCream03092018.png

Extra points if you can find the walnut.

• Like 20
  • Delicious 1

I had a more than usually large lunch today and wasn't that hungry at dinner time. I fancied a burger, but only had some pork. So porkburger it was. With chips.

Actually, I had two. Must have been more hungry than I thought.

burger2.thumb.jpg.68f543462572b510ea351f70034457fd.jpg

burger1.thumb.jpg.be7448601b5c46a7315fcd6fe4190793.jpg

burger3.thumb.jpg.0ac31acb3e3eec55b45527cc6fb64e5b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

So porkburger it was. With chips.

Looks extremely good. I am not a beef burger person. I’ve had  lamb burgers and enjoyed those. Perhaps I should try a pork burger.  Or perhaps I should just book a trip to China and let you make one for me. xDxDxD

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

Perhaps I should try a pork burger.  Or perhaps I should just book a trip to China and let you make one for me.

Turn north at Hong Kong.

P.S. I've often done pork/beef 50:50 mix burgers. And duckburgers and, just once, donkeyburgers.  Sadly, lamb is ruinously expensive here, when we can get it.

duckburger.thumb.jpg.ad32491041fca6054bfba4b5848a346b.jpg

Duckburger

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 minutes ago, shain said:

Simit breads, menemen (scrambled eggs cooked in tomato, onion and green chili sauce) with feta; labneh with zaatar, sirene, olives, veggies.

IMG_20180217_194337_1.thumb.jpg.260b9c87788ac62199a37bf394779d28.jpgIMG_20180217_194655.thumb.jpg.8bab9e580e3ff581ae529414576ec1bd.jpgIMG_20180217_195810.thumb.jpg.b063602831a2f6b92e0721ce38ca3cfa.jpg

I could go for those eggs which is saying something because I don't much care for scrambled eggs and never eat them.  Do you cook the onions first, then add eggs and when near done, add the tomato and chili sauce just to incorporate and warm through?  Also, when do you add the feta?  It looks as though it has somewhat softened.

Up thread there was a discussion about dumplings, so......

These are from Andrea Nguyen's Asian Dumplings book.  Nepalese Spiced lamb dumplings which are supposed to be served with a spicy tomato sauce but after making 64 dumplings, the sauce was not made.  We had our usual vinegar/soy/chili oil dipping sauce instead.  I used the hot water dough recipe and prepared with the tortilla press method she outlines on-line.  Started making the little round purses and then tried pinch braids and then reverted to our normal crescent shape because I was running out of time before I had to leave the house.  They were steamed for 8 minutes then pan fried for a crispy bottom.  Very, very delicious.

DSC02328.thumb.jpg.fe366a9aff7cf4374d9f9be0ab3e865b.jpgDSC02330.thumb.jpg.869df629afb6965cf171207cb84e8ab8.jpgDSC02329.thumb.jpg.145966fa464bf4a42b93d05a0ed12801.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 3

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I could go for those eggs which is saying something because I don't much care for scrambled eggs and never eat them.  Do you cook the onions first, then add eggs and when near done, add the tomato and chili sauce just to incorporate and warm through?  Also, when do you add the feta?  It looks as though it has somewhat softened.

I cook the onion, in oil until golden, add some garlic and spices (mostly cumin, paprika and a tad oregano), sliced chili, chopped tomato and cook quite well, so that it's saucy and the tomato is soft. I then cook the eggs separately, just enough for it to start set and form largish curds. Then the eggs goes into the sauce and mixed well, bring it to temp and no further cooking is required. The feta is added just before serving (along with some important sumac). I choose a soft feta to begin with, and kept it in distinct pieces, but you can use a drayer one and chop it finer. There's also some tahini in my picture which might be mistaken for melted cheese.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Up thread there was a discussion about dumplings, so......

These are from Andrea Nguyen's Asian Dumplings book.DSC02329.thumb.jpg.145966fa464bf4a42b93d05a0ed12801.jpg

What are the metal pieces at the bottom of the picture?

• Haha 4

Knife and fork!  We were going to use chop sticks but the dumplings are a little larger than we normally make.

@gfweb I love that sauce.  If there is any left after eating all the dumplings I drink it:o

The chilies in chili oil is made using Modernist Cuisine's and/or F. Dunlop's infused oil.

I don't normally steam then fry dumplings.  Usually they go in the pan, get brown then stock is added to cook them.  I have to say I think the texture was better with steaming then frying.  I only had 6....so restrained.

• Like 3