• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Ok guys. What's the trick. How does one make creamy mushroom sauces look attractive in a photo? Am I cooking them wrong? They taste fine (if you can ignore the 'shrooms - yeah its not a meal for me) but mine always seem kinda grey and icky looking. Hence the super close up. 

Pork loin chops, mushroom mustard sauce and rabbit food. 

20180302_201925.thumb.jpg.bb32b55be8985c8411f16a07a42385d4.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:26 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

Ok guys. What's the trick. How does one make creamy mushroom sauces look attractive in a photo? Am I cooking them wrong? They taste fine (if you can ignore the 'shrooms - yeah its not a meal for me) but mine always seem kinda grey and icky looking. Hence the super close up. 

One can't make creamy mushroom sauce look attractive.....it will usually look like cat regurgitation.

The sleet has gone over to heavy wet snow here.  I'm contemplating making (another) pot of Pam Reiss' Sweet Potato soup for John who had oral surgery on Tuesday and is eating soft food for another few days.  I also have some ground bison and it's a throw up between Cincinnati chili and taco filling.......

Well power went out at 13:05 and still not back on.  NOTHING got made.  With any luck when I get back home from running errands hopefully it will have been restored ...but I'm not counting on it.

Edited by suzilightning
It didn't happen!!!! (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Cheese tortellini with red sauce and meatballs. I had canned some of the roasted cherry tomato-garlic sauce; took a pint of that, buzzed it in the blender, stirred in a half-cup of leftover Ragu the daughter had been using as a dipping sauce for toasted ravioli, and made meatballs.

tortellini.jpg.231de8a1513c448c4566e074aa45b23a.jpg

A few days ago, and I don't think I've posted it, I had a poke bowl. 

poke.jpg.7efdc51c02f68d1f38c2a647338e3fa8.jpg

And last night, the best chicken salad I've ever made in my life. Or, as my daughter termed it, "fruit salad with chicken in it." 

5a9960a801a06_chickensalad.jpg.f8fe5c558ac3fc5d567ac7af0495febd.jpg

Yes, there was chicken underneath it all. Fruit included halved red and white grapes, chopped apple, mandarin orange segments, and blueberries. This was prior the addition of sliced almonds and dressing. Dressing was one I more or less made up -- a half-cup of mayo, a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, a tablespoon of golden balsamic vinegar, salt and freshly ground pepper, and a teaspoon of honey.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I also have some ground bison and it's a throw up between Cincinnati chili and taco filling.......

a "throw up"?   Meaning a toss-up?  I get the connection to the cat barf.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, lindag said:

a "throw up"?   Meaning a toss-up?  I get the connection to the cat barf.

exactly

• Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 2/28/2018 at 6:20 PM, liuzhou said:

Yes

I thought that I would make some of these and I went looking for a little better recipe then I had previously found that gave ingredients but no quantities. I found this one  but I find I need a little help with the translation. This is the first time I have been instructed to do plastic surgery on something before I steam it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Pork loin chops, mushroom mustard sauce and rabbit food. 

20180302_201925.thumb.jpg.bb32b55be8985c8411f16a07a42385d4.jpg

Looks good to me.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, ninagluck said:

after I watched  the movie "cook up a storm", I had to buy a clay pot and cook that 3 cup chicken 

OK I’ve never heard of the movie but I have heard of 3 cup chicken. I’m just curious about the cosy like arrangement of fabric around the clay pot. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

FECA4139-BB9C-454D-B4A6-6016D8AADAED.thumb.jpeg.577cb7c9d57e57a36a18eef09eb18518.jpeg

Cock-a-leekie soup with a garlic crouton.  

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I thought that I would make some of these and I went looking for a little better recipe then I had previously found that gave ingredients but no quantities. I found this one  but I find I need a little help with the translation. This is the first time I have been instructed to do plastic surgery on something before I steam it.

That is a particularly inept computer translation.

I've posted the recipe I use in the Recipe Gullet section. Here.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I got sucked in and played around with the cheese taco shells again - I can't not, mexican (probably more likely - American/Australian Mexican) is his favourite. Cups work better than trying to make shells. Slicing the cheese rather than grating is also alot better structurally. 

Or you could try my favourite method and wait untill the low carber in your life has gone to bed and have a real taco. 

20180303_201515.thumb.jpg.19d409320ea3660e67783decbffb0985.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

39697279295_7d450460fa_z.jpg

Pork chops brined for around 3 hours, then pan fried for about 2 minutes per side. I also made a pan sauce, with drippings, mustard, vinegar and butter.  Duck fat pan-roasted potatoes.  Broccolini steam roasted in the CSO.  

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Steamed sea bass.

Fish de-scaled and gutted. Rubbed with salt and Shaoxing wine. Cavity stuffed with scallions, garlic and ginger. Garlic and ginger slipped into cuts in the flesh. Green and red chillies on top with more scallions. Steamed 8 minutes.

Served with pan roasted asparagus and rice.

fish1.thumb.jpg.ad037fe4aefeeb8f512a5ae26d8c5476.jpg

Ready to be steamed

fish2.thumb.jpg.7085dc1a7bd8f50fa2f3d1d9afb81930.jpg

Ready to be eaten

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 2/28/2018 at 11:19 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

Everyone's food looks so delicious and full of effort. I however am trapped in a phase of " 'expletive' this cooking lark, I'm too tired". Unfortunately (but not for my waist line) I don't have take away as an option.

The better half got a begrudgingly served soy sauce chicken & vegetable omelette/pancake. It's always been a riff on UK Chinese takeaway egg foo young (which is totally different to the American version) but I rarely have the beansprouts, or the inclination to deep fry an omelette (Also aware this dish is unlikely to exist in real life china). 20180228_200925.thumb.jpg.b890154795cf3df7a589e92c79739e71.jpg

Little man had a mini roast with chicken, broc, potatoes, corn and peas. 

I, in lieu of dinner, had a horrible shock, when I took a deep swig from the mug I had used to reheat the frozen Gravy rather than my Black Coffee. 

I drink gravy quite knowingly!

That looks familiar... I have made something similar before.

k5WSzh3.jpg

(PS: - insert Muriel Heslop's accent - you are now CanCookCanPhotograph. Yes, you are.)

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9

Mr.  Kim came home for a recipe for a pasta puttanesca that a co-worker recommended.  He had brought some in for lunch and Mr. Kim thought it smelled amazing.  It packs a punch.  We liked it a lot, but it isn’t something I’d make for someone before knowing their fish/olive/saltiness limits!  It packs a punch.  Served with a baguette and simple salad:

DSCN8073.JPG.094cb5170894d3bc535d87008c432c9d.JPG

DSCN8074.JPG.251cd948d2c913afb8dbb46c4fa351fd.JPG

DSCN8075.JPG.841a6a8475f5cdcf0887b8784b091459.JPG

Served with slices of goat cheese.  The goat cheese was new to me, but made a nice foil for the big flavors with it’s tangy smoothness.

• Like 13