• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Very beige and very tasty left over roasted chicken reheated in CSO 325 steam bake for 39 minutes.  Rancho Gordo royal corona beans cooked in IP high pressure 24 minutes in dark chicken stock, natural release.  Beans were reheated with chicken.

IMG_0475.thumb.JPG.8393aeb8746e45070e7910278b95f5b1.JPG

• Like 14

5 hours ago, ninagluck said:

with lots of salmon trimmings in the freezer and a head of savoy cabbage in the fridge, dinner was an easy decision: a variation of the french classic "choux farci".  my last meyer lemons were turned into a sauce to give this dish a fresh twist 

IMG_1238.JPG

That is beautiful!

I have to ask:  what is the salmon being served on?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

52 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Very beige and very tasty left over roasted chicken reheated in CSO 325 steam bake for 39 minutes.  Rancho Gordo royal corona beans cooked in IP high pressure 24 minutes in dark chicken stock, natural release.  Beans were reheated with chicken.

39 minutes?  How many seconds?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Despite its monotone colour I find it very appealing, accompanied by a nice glass of Bordeaux!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

Number 7 at Popeye's- that is a 5 piece chicken tender meal, mash with gravy and a biscuit (I also ordered a warm apple pie for a buck). All together $11.69. I'd give it a 4/5 stars.

use the coupon..... save about 3.00..............

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Second day of the Chinese New Year celebrations. We went to a heritage trail in the new territories - essentially alone, as everyone else in HK was busy visiting relatives and the Gweilos are normally on vacation in Thailand, Vietnam or the Philippines...

There was not a single restaurant found to be open. Zero. Only one takeaway sushi was in business, but clever me had - in a spurt of alcohol-induced home sickness - put a pork belly to dry cure four days ago. Roasted in a low oven for three hours with a blast at full 250 oC to crisp up the skin - perfect! Potato salad, sugar-glazed peas & carrots and onion gravy ... Certainly not the most photogenic meal but soooo satisfying :D

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

• Like 17
  • Delicious 2

^^ No cut of meat is more photogenic than pork belly!

0t6gIZR.jpg

I'd forgo all other meats but let me have my pork belly!

J6q0n4O.jpg

I don't eat a lot of meat but when I do it's usually pork belly or some kind of Speck!

7LHRDgJ.jpg

It used to cost more than most meat even back in the (late) Middle Ages!

iunyba3.jpg

And whilst I'm around, this was my recent dinner. Prussian veal meatballs.

WLOm4Hy.jpg

LrtRcCS.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

20 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

^^ No cut of meat is more photogenic than pork belly!

0t6gIZR.jpg

I'd forgo all other meats but let me have my pork belly!

J6q0n4O.jpg

I don't eat a lot of meat but when I do it's usually pork belly or some kind of Speck!

7LHRDgJ.jpg

It used to cost more than most meat even back in the (late) Middle Ages!

iunyba3.jpg

And whilst I'm around, this was my recent dinner. Prussian veal meatballs.

WLOm4Hy.jpg

LrtRcCS.jpg

Bon Vivant, is that a verson of Koenigsberger Klopse?  The meatballs look bigger than I'm used to.

13 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Linguini with white clam sauce and garlic bread. I wish I had dug these clams myself, but for the last few months,  the clam beds have been either closed or frozen over, so I broke down and bought some fresh, chopped ones.

HC

IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.15b02fce0074f34f7a8099a7cafd99a9.JPG

IMG_2218.thumb.JPG.c8fc0960a090ec657c9654cfecf1d7ca.JPG

Oh, my...this brings back memories of the late, great Little Italy, one of a fine crop of once-upon-a-time Italian eateries in Memphis, which has a surprising number of very fine Italian restaurants. I used to eat there with my co-workers from The Commercial Appeal, back when it was a real newspaper (ahem) 40 years ago and I was in college. Always got their linguine with white clam sauce, after I tried it one time when we'd gone to eat after watching the Super Bowl in a bar. First time, to my knowledge, this West Tennessee country girl had ever eaten a clam. I fell in love. 

Little Italy, along with so many more, has gone by the wayside, and the 'hood where it was located is not necessarily one where you'd go for dinner now. 

Interesting background about the Italian community (and the amazing number of good Italian restaurants in Memphis): In 1927, there was a huge flood in the Lower Mississippi Valley, with several levee breaks in Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana. Many of the black sharecroppers, whose conditions were not good anyway, suffered horribly during the flood, living in camps atop the levees. After the flood, many left, migrating northward in the second of the major migrations of African Americans from the South to the industrial cities of the upper Midwest, leaving the Delta plantation owners short of labor for the following year's crops (the '27 crop year was mostly shot). Many "imported" shiploads of Italian peasants to work their farms. The sharecroppers eventually migrated upriver, settling in many of the river towns up to and past Memphis, with the result there is barely a Delta town in Arkansas or Mississippi that doesn't have its long-time Italian restaurant, which initially sprang up to serve its Italian community.

One of the finest Italian restaurants I know is Uncle John's, in Crawfordsville, Arkansas, where it is one of three retail establishments (the others are a convenience store/gas station and a liquor store). They also serve steak, barbecue and fried catfish. But their ravioli and "spaghetti gravy" is a thing of beauty, and I will from time to time drive an hour to enjoy it. 

In Memphis, "Big John" Grisanti founded the flagship Italian restaurant in the city in the 1940s, at the corner of Airways and Lamar (another 'hood where you would not necessarily go to eat today). It was still operating in the 1970s, when I came to Memphis for college. By the '80s, it had closed, but several of John's sons had opened restaurants elsewhere in the city. Today, his great-grandchildren have Italian restaurants from the riverbank to Germantown, and all of them serve "Miss Mary's Salad" and "Miss Mary's Lasagna," as nearly as anyone can remember identical to that Big John served.

It's a wonderful culinary tradition.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

I remember Grisanti's when going to school there in late 70's early 80's. 

John's? By that time, the one (Ronnie's?) on Poplar near Chickasaw Oaks was open, and I think the one on Germantown Road. And of course, Dino's Southwestern Grill on McLean north of N. Parkway. Dino was John's brother, best I recall. I think Dino's is still there.

The newest member of the "family" is Spindini, on South Main. He's a great-grandson.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 minutes ago, shain said:

Pasta casserole with sour cream and scallions. Topped with crisp buttery breadcrumbs.

IMG_20180126_142118.thumb.jpg.27d9ec9fc326f534dc5b33ea702310b1.jpgIMG_20180126_142150.thumb.jpg.8a2b7d64e85710a525e5272c5edb63cb.jpg

One word......WOW!!!!

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites