• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Breakfast for Dinner:  Discovered a lone piece of ham in the fridge so fried it up with some eggs and homemade hash browns made latke style by adding granulated onion, salt and pepper.  I grated the potato with the skin on (and when eating it I really couldn't tell the skin was there, in fact I forgot I had done that until this morning!) in my new-ish KA Mixer shredder slicer attachment.  It works so much better than the old style. Saves getting out the food processor for small things like this.

ham-eggs.jpg.7e1dda6eb8c1dfe51c13489a9d061015.jpg

Edited by mgaretz
sentence structure (log)
  • Like 15

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I saw a recipe for veggie pot pie and it looked good but I was tempted to add some chicken until I saw another recipe from Hispanic Kitchen for meatballs rolled in pork rinds.  I am not a fan of pork rinds and I could not find any anyway so I used Panko bread crumbs and had them on the side.  I made biscuits from scratch for the pot pie using White Lily flour and a Shirley Corriher recipe.

20180211_171814.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Dinner tonight is a crockpot dish with chicken thighs, potatoes, carrots, onions, cream of chicken soup with garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Love easy dishes like this that allow me to fully enjoy the cocktail hour.

Still cooking away, but it smells very good.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Oooh, that looks good!  What is the chop smothered with?

Thanks ElsieD! This is one of our long time favorites.

I have recently adapted the recipe to the Instant Pot. When I use the Instant Pot, I deglaze the pot with the sauce mix after sautéing the onions and garlic and before returning the pork to the pot. I use Manual, High Pressure for 8 minutes and Natural Release for 20 minutes.

Mexican-Style Pork Chops

Adapted from recipe in Texas On The Halfshell from Texas Dept. of Agriculture

Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients:

- 2 Bone-in Pork Chops (or Pork Butt Steak)

- 1/4 teaspoon salt

- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

- 1 cup onion, sliced

- 1 clove garlic, minced

- 1/3 cup Heinz chili sauce

- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar

- 3/4 cups boiling water

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Trim excess fat from pork. Season with salt and pepper; then dredge in flour, shaking off excess.

3. Heat oil in preheated cast iron or other oven-proof skillet and brown pork.

4. Remove pork from skillet and keep warm.

5. Add onion to skillet; cook about 5 minutes. Then add garlic and cook for about a minute, do not let burn.

6. Return pork and any juices to skillet. Remove skillet from heat.

7. Mix chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and boiling water in 2 cup measure. Add to skillet and cover with foil.

8. Bake pork for 40 minutes.

9. Remove cover and bake another 10 minutes.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spiralized summer squash and carrots with red onion, cilantro, mint, hot sauce and fish sauce/sugar/lime juice dressing topped with a few peanuts and cooked shrimp.  From Fine Cooking.  Not bad for a 'diet' dinner

DSC02324.thumb.jpg.dbe9a299c8ea957dabcfd930c7f2878f.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 11

I fired up my new toy Thursday.  I was running about an hour later than I wanted, and the ribs took about 2 hours longer than I hoped. Fortunately I had started with a cryovac full rack that I did lots of trimming on, so dinner was a bunch of different shaped trimmings (more of which are now in the freezer) and the ribs were actually held until Saturday's dinner with tots and coleslaw

IMG_4357.JPG

IMG_4365.JPG

• Like 17

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

On Saturday we went to Mr. Fu Kitchen (335 Noe at 17th in the Castro neighborhood of San Francisco) where we had

DSC04756-001.JPG.a8f07ec8a42b1563bfc97d2e72c581d2.JPG

Pork potstickers

DSC04758-001.JPG.e8bfa91d0f506cdced65db373aba485b.JPG

Prawns with snow peas (pic shot after we scooped up a serving)

DSC04760-001.JPG.25116fb27e4f97f90039e4f4b772b82b.JPG

Five flavor chicken (a weird combination of General Tso's and sweet and sour chicken). Very tasty and not too spicy.

Would definitely return. I think the cooks are from northern China; still trying to place their food, and in any event, it's nice to have an alternative to our usual spot.

Tonight (Sunday) we had

DSC04764-001.JPG.71dbff8a76865e01548f8c95d045fd10.JPG

DSC04766-001.JPG.1fdb9266d55e51e4607de21b2ea593bc.JPG

DSC04769-001.JPG.0c869dfcdc70853bebd98d6adf82c75e.JPG

DSC04774-001.JPG.87ba4c401a7b5a040da70edcdf386bfa.JPG

DSC04777-001.JPG.bb455841f1a18cf8077458784e1357d2.JPG

minestrone, served with extra-virgin olive oil and a hefty sprinkling of grated Parm-Reg cheese.

• Like 15

Dinner was lobio -- beans with walnuts and spices:

Dinner02122018.png

From Carla Capalbo, Tasting Georgia (p266).  I realize this looks only like a bowl of beans.  But a bowl of beans is what it is.  I had planned a far grander supra -- however when 2:00 am came around and I hadn't eaten for a day, I was all too happy for my bowl of beans.  Rancho Gordo Marcella beans by the way.  Served with baguette, not shown.

These were very good beans.  Everything is better with walnuts.  The recipe calls for marigold petals, ground marigold, and marigold leaves.  Marigold leaves I did not have, so I had to simplify.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Meatloaf and mashed cauliflower with chives.  Didn't quite get the meatloaf onto the plate in one piece.  I made the cauliflower from frozen, riced cauliflower and it came out too watery for my taste, but my wife thought it was fine.  So either I have to go back to regular cauliflower or figure out a way to reduce the water content.

meatloaf-caul.jpg.663ea9e045c5645bdee427b50b89f5c2.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

35 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Meatloaf and mashed cauliflower with chives.  Didn't quite get the meatloaf onto the plate in one piece.  I made the cauliflower from frozen, riced cauliflower and it came out too watery for my taste, but my wife thought it was fine.  So either I have to go back to regular cauliflower or figure out a way to reduce the water content.

meatloaf-caul.jpg.663ea9e045c5645bdee427b50b89f5c2.jpg

I too tried to make mashed from frozen riced cauliflour and got the same result you did.  Very watery.

7 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Elsie, frozen is ok but needs to be squeezed of excess water when thawed. Learned that once like you did.  

The good thing is it can take up more fat, oh I mean flavor 

I will usually make mashed from frozen, but not riced/frozen and it's not watery at all.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

A quick tapa dinner.   Had a garlic loaf that was sliced, oiled, seasoned and pan toasted then topped with sliced avocado,  sliced seared scallops and topped  with peppery greens tossed with olive oil a squeeze of orange and salt .  Hard to get color on the scallops with out drying them out.  Pushed my buttons

2710DFD5-D63A-4BCE-9E4F-09103DE6A70F.jpeg

• Like 13