• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Last night was a desperation dinner.  I am in a fish share and my usual delivery is Tuesdays.  I get a pound of local white fish and a pound of Faroe Island salmon per week.  What I did not realize is that the pople who run the share were on vacation this week, and so no delivery.  Dinner had to be from whatever I could find around the house--no time to go to the store as my contractor was coming over right after work to measure for my new kitchen (!!).  Luckily I found a package of chicken breasts that did not get turned into sliders on Sunday, and I had some grape tomatoes on hand.  So, chicken paillard with marinated grape tomato salad.  Some salad greens would have been nice, but I had none.  I'm going to the food store on my lunch break today...

5a7aed94c8286_chickenpaillard.thumb.jpg.c4b4c9e6a2ef2438f60207a1626c8061.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Cold day, so some comfort food was requested: Okonomiyaki, two ways. The one pictures with shrimps, egg and sweetcorn; its half-twin with bacon, cheese and fried egg.

Half topped with Katsuoboshi and Aonori, the other one left naked as the moving Katsuoboshi flakes freak my four year-old out.

At the end satisfying for all ...

WP_20180207_19_08_58_Pro.jpg

• Like 15

30 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Okonomiyaki

This looks so interesting and so good that I went to Google, first, to find out what it was and second, to see if I could find a recipe. All of the good ones required ingredients that I haven't a prayer of finding here. I did find one recipe that calls for more readily available ingredients for the base that I could then dress up with more traditional toppings. If you would, please, could you advise me as to whether it might be worth trying or should I dismiss it as just a cheap imitation and just have to return occasionally to drool over your photograph.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This looks so interesting and so good that I went to Google, first, to find out what it was and second, to see if I could find a recipe. All of the good ones required ingredients that I haven't a prayer of finding here. I did find one recipe that calls for more readily available ingredients for the base that I could then dress up with more traditional toppings. If you would, please, could you advise me as to whether it might be worth trying or should I dismiss it as just a cheap imitation and just have to return occasionally to drool over your photograph.

I am afraid that recipe is far from what you'd consider okonomiyaki. I'll post a proper recipe tomorrow. 

Batter is flour, grated yam, eggs and dashi; you can substitute grated daikon for the grated yam, and in desperate times I used grated potato with no major issues. You will need instant dashi - is that available to you ?

I assume okonomiyaki tare (sauce) is not easy to find for you as well. Do you have access to Worcestershire sauce ? It's a bit late, but I'll check my recipes tomorrow, but I think you can whip up a decent substitute.

Everything else should be available...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Duvel Thanks, I would love to have the recipe. Daikon I can get, in fact, it's something that I always have on hand. The yam was my main stumbling point in the ingredient list. Also, I do believe that I have seen the instant Dashi in my favorite Chinese store. If not, there is a very good sushi restaurant around the corner from us and maybe I can talk them out of a little of it. The  okonomiyaki tare I'm not so sure of. Would something like this sauce be acceptable? I already know that the Katsuoboshi flakes are a lost cause because I have looked for them before with no luck. Thanks again, I am looking forward to seeing the recipe and making it.

A New York steak, cooked SV then seared, served with white corn cooked ALV with butter and cole slaw.  If you have seen the last few meals they all have had the same cole slaw and you may have thought it strange that the dressing was not mixed in.  The secret to keeping the cabbage and carrots crunchy and able to last for many days is to not mix in the dressing.  

ny-corn.jpg.9949253d776ff4e351ec357d31657768.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Pork chop, roasted tomatoes, salsa verde.  I had to make dinner in a hurry so the chops were cut off the bone to speed up the cooking.  Bones will make stock for tomorrow's congee.

IMG_0469.thumb.JPG.f551767ce097592aa699ed10468c160e.JPG

• Like 14

11 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Here's  the recipe I use. Can't testify as to how authentic it is. I've also added chopped, cooked shrimp to mine, very successfully. I have used regular or panko bread crumbs instead of tempura bits. I have diced up water chestnuts to add, just because I love 'em in anything.

I tend to serve two sauces with it -- a sriracha mayo, and another one I sort of gin up out of soy sauce and sweet chili sauce. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb Thank you. I'm grateful for any and all recipes and especially for the tips. This is something that I have never eaten but it looks intriguing and looks like that it would be quite simple to make. I appreciate the tips on things that I can substitute since so many things are unavailable here. I can get panko and I'm pretty sure I can get the Dashi. Strangely enough, I have yet to find water chestnuts, but I have found that chayote makes a passable substitute. Jicama, when I can find it, is even better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@kayb Thank you. I'm grateful for any and all recipes and especially for the tips. This is something that I have never eaten but it looks intriguing and looks like that it would be quite simple to make. I appreciate the tips on things that I can substitute since so many things are unavailable here. I can get panko and I'm pretty sure I can get the Dashi. Strangely enough, I have yet to find water chestnuts, but I have found that chayote makes a passable substitute. Jicama, when I can find it, is even better.

OK kids - we've been there and we know it  

• Thanks 1

I was motivated by the Madhur Jaffrey thread to make my own paneer, so tonight we had Saag Paneer with homemade Paneer. It starts with boiling milk, separating the curds from the whey, resulting in cheese. The cheese is left to chill overnight, then marinated with spices. Onions are cook till brown, then mixed with spinach, ginger, garlic and garam masala. Full-fat yogurt and spiced paneer are slowly mixed in.

The result is a glorious mess. I'd love to make it often but it's time-consuming.

It was served with Grilled Lamb Chops via Diana Henry.

IMG_2730.JPG.a4119f47a084d943b9d221881ab66e6a.JPG

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1