• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Just now, kayb said:

Not too far from Vivian Howard's recipe for stewed tomatoes. Those babies, btw, are awesome with eggs baked in them. Over a layer of cheese grits in the bottom of a casserole dish, they're even awsome-er.

Just running through the list of ingredients I'm like what's not to love 

Yesterday, I had a frustrating, annoying day. A meeting I had set up and spent hours planning was cancelled with no reason given, ten minutes before it was due to start. I was on my way when I got a text message saying "Cancelled" and nothing else.

Earlier, I had bought some pork intending to stir fry it with some black fermented beans, chilli and Sichuan peppercorns etc , but, when it was time to cook, I was in a foul mood, thought of going out to eat but it was miserable weather,  so I  ended up just cutting the pork into sort-of-cutlets and frying them. With boiled spuds and wilted garland chrysanthemum greens.

pork1.thumb.jpg.3ab1af3370e0ba0c1eb061ba19d91d24.jpg

Then I felt better. But I'm still waiting for an explanation or apology or reschedule. I love my work, but sometimes I have to deal with a**holes. (Sorry, but there is no other word.)

pork2.thumb.jpg.672d1bb16a054f327f35abc1216e8de3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, robirdstx said:

5DCD7232-A6C2-4D9D-9670-4BF745CD4890.thumb.jpeg.28465560cd2694cb6193d90f18464b1b.jpeg

Sichuan Boneless Chicken (from Martin Yan’s ‘A Wok For All Seasons’), Baby Bok Choy in Oyster Flavored Sauce and Ginger Citrus Rice

I too am a Martin Yan fan.  I found a recipe for the chicken on genius kitchen, and am hoping it is the same as the one you used as it looks amazing.  Can you give some details on the bok choy and rice?  I wouldn't mind trying to dupicate this as it looks delicious.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I too am a Martin Yan fan.  I found a recipe for the chicken on genius kitchen, and am hoping it is the same as the one you used as it looks amazing.  Can you give some details on the bok choy and rice?  I wouldn't mind trying to dupicate this as it looks delicious.

Thank you @ElsieD

For the Bok Choy, I heated a tablespoon of grape seed oil in a pan and added several cloves minced garlic, cooked for just a few seconds. Then added 2 tablespoons chicken broth, 1 tablespoon Oyster Flavored Sauce and 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper. Stirred that together and added the halved Bok Choy, cut side down. Reduced the heat and covered, let cook for 5 or 6 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove Bok Choy from pan and increase heat to reduce the sauce by half. Return the vegetables to the pan and turn to coat. Plate the vegetable cut side up and spoon on some of the sauce.

This recipe for the rice is identical to the one I use, but I add 1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon to the spices.

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=423

• Like 3

After 10 days of indulgence I decided that a more sensible approach towards food in general is in order. So I went to the market and bought lots of fresh veggies and cheeses.

Why in the end I ended up with a Chili Dog for dinner completely eludes me. As big a mystery as who drank my entire six pack of beer in the afternoon ...

WP_20180103_20_27_27_Pro.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 16

26 minutes ago, Duvel said:

So I went to the market and bought lots of fresh veggies and cheeses.

Why in the end I ended up with a Chili Dog for dinner completely eludes me.

Oh my God you’ve been watching me. You’ve picked up my habits. Although not the chili dog. Cheese yes.  Large ribeye certainly...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No pics but I seared amberjack and served it with a side of succotash and cabbage carrot slaw.   I had made  rind candy from Myers lemon peel after making Shane's hummus today ( it was the only lemons on hand) and it added  a nice sweet crunch and flavor boost to the fish.  The combo was better than anticipated 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 5

Deb had surgery on her foot on Tuesday. She now hobbles around the house with her cane, but spends most of the time with her foot elevated. I have abandoned the camera for now, changed how I address her to "Peg", and she now calls me her "Handler". I made a grilled ham and cheese  sandwich for "Peg" and her "Handler" had one with pickled turnips shortly thereafter.

HC

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

My husband has gone low carb for the New Year. I will endeavour to provide (despite the fact my spirit, soul and probably body,  are potato shaped). 

Lamb loin chops, spinach, broc and mushroom. 

chopsnbroc.thumb.jpg.383a6c9a4da25b8d97b4a72c310e0017.jpg

I think he's being a d*** about it.. but I won't tell him.. Verbally. :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

New Years day was a chuck eye steak and home fried potatoes. I thought I had some black eye peas in the pantry, but that didn't materialize.

The next day was scrambled eggs, whole 12 grain purchased toast and spinach salad. Then tonight was a gift from the freezer. Greek style braised chicken in tomato sauce with onions, mushrooms and freshly cooked thin spaghetti with iceberg lettuce. No dressing on the lettuce, but it was good dipped into the tomato sauce.

The spaghetti was Barilla White Fiber. I got this from a food bank pantry a few years ago and have been totally averse to the idea of messing with pasta ever since. As I said before, when I tried it the first time, there is no fault to be found in this product. It truly does taste like regular pasta, same texture. I guess I'm still reverberating with my one go at whole wheat pasta which is apparently made of sawdust.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Cue Canned Heat - On The Road Again

Dinner in a Chinese fast food place by the expressway on the Tropic of Cancer.  The line is marked on the road.

Roast duck, cabbage and shredded carrot and daikon radish over rice. The rice and carrot/daikon is hiding under the duck and cabbage. Could have been hotter, but tasty all the same.

More rice than I could eat. Cost: The equivalent of $1.23 USD

20180104_182046.thumb.jpg.1e8b1e7f2d4e2e30cc579ce6f2b2ddd9.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

using up our Christmas leftover turkey breast... or least part of it.  

I had leftover turkey stock, leftover gluten-free spaghetti and the turkey breast so for John I chunked up some of the meat, warmed up the pasta, made gravy with the stock and had rehydrated some mushrooms which got sautéed with some minced onion and garlic and all mixed together with some frozen petite peas.  Into a casserole with a dusting of panko and grated Italian cheeses.

I heated up some sausage dressing, peas and carrots and mashed potatoes then added some turkey and gravy with cranberry sauce.  

Thinking about turkey pot pie for tomorrow.

I'm pulling some ground bison for a burger....starting to get tired of turkey.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I prepared squid stuffed with blood sausage, braised in tomato sauce. It should be an easy sell for dinner for my in-laws as well as for my brother in law, in whose house we are currently staying. 

Of course no one was on time for dinner (which drives the residual German in me nuts - every time). Well, realisizing that I did not had enough bread for mopping up the sauce I just ran around the corner to get some more. Stupid as I am I had the table set up already ...

Coming back after a few minutes this was all I could find. Together with the sentence "Oh, we thought you were done already - you said dinner at nine ...". At least they liked it ;)

IMG_0365.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

066977B9-D78A-42E4-AB7F-6410631C7E3C.thumb.jpeg.85ead2b039c15a37c7697bf36f4a82fe.jpeg

Rye bread (from Modernist Bread) and some Spanish manchego cheese that I received as a gift and that I confess to hoarding. 

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog