• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

We had Christmas eve dinner today a short time ago. Tomorrow we will be at my sister's.

We had smoked salmon appetizers with sour cream on apple chips. Rib roast, salad, potatoes, Brussels sprout hash, sour dough bread and chocolate cake. I made the cake and bread yesterday.  My initial plan was to make a flourless chocolate cake but better sense took over and I just got a Duncan Hines cake mix instead. Why is it that when you watch someone frost a cake, it looks so much easier?  Also why do they never put enough icing in those store bought tubs and too much in two?  I put cream cheese icing on top and the middle and chocolate around the side. Charlie cut some before I took the picture of it.  A friend told me that Yorkshire pudding is normally served with gravy so I made some beef gravy and put a dash of Irish Cream in it. Some of the oil in the popover pan must have spilled out in the oven because it started smoking a lot and I took them out early.  They were still good and had a creamier texture in the middle that they didn't have when I made them before. That is probably because I took them out early but I liked them better that way.

20181224_133104.jpg

20181224_140249.jpg

20181224_140954.jpg

20181224_141152.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

We had Christmas eve dinner today a short time ago. Tomorrow we will be at my sister's.

We had smoked salmon appetizers with sour cream on apple chips. Rib roast, salad, potatoes, Brussels sprout hash, sour dough bread and chocolate cake. I made the cake and bread yesterday.  My initial plan was to make a flourless chocolate cake but better sense took over and I just got a Duncan Hines cake mix instead. Why is it that when you watch someone frost a cake, it looks so much easier?  Also why do they never put enough icing in those store bought tubs and too much in two?  I put cream cheese icing on top and the middle and chocolate around the side. Charlie cut some before I took the picture of it.  A friend told me that Yorkshire pudding is normally served with gravy so I made some beef gravy and put a dash of Irish Cream in it. Some of the oil in the popover pan must have spilled out in the oven because it started smoking a lot and I took them out early.  They were still good and had a "pudding" texture in the middle that they didn't have when I made them before. That is probably because I took them out early but I liked them better that way.

20181224_133104.jpg

20181224_140249.jpg

20181224_140954.jpg

20181224_141152.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

We had smoked salmon appetizers with sour cream on apple chips. Rib roast, salad, potatoes, Brussels sprout hash, sour dough bread and chocolate cake. I made the cake and bread yesterday.  My initial plan was to make a flourless chocolate cake but better sense took over and I just got a Duncan Hines cake mix instead. Why is it that when you watch someone frost a cake, it looks so much easier?  Also why do they never put enough icing in those store bought tubs and too much in two?  I put cream cheese icing on top and the middle and chocolate around the side. Charlie cut some before I took the picture of it.  A friend told me that Yorkshire pudding is normally served with gravy so I made some beef gravy and put a dash of Irish Cream in it. Some of the oil in the popover pan must have spilled out in the oven because it started smoking a lot and I took them out early.  They were still good and had a "pudding" texture in the middle that they didn't have when I made them before. That is probably because I took them out early but I liked them better that way.

20181224_132011.jpg

20181224_133104.jpg

20181224_140249.jpg

20181224_140954.jpg