• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

Before you accuse me of name-dropping, please hear me out. I don’t know anyone famous; I am not friends with anyone powerful; have no connections with anyone wealthy. I just have this bad habit of habitually running into interesting or strange people serendipitously.

I was still in college, a friend had a family emergency and couldn’t attend a fancy high profile golf outing which he paid over $1,000 for. He gave me the invitation. There were many recognizable faces at the outing. In my foursome, there was Bryant Gumbel, and a famous baseball legend. I had no idea who he was, because I was not a baseball fan.

At dinner time, Prescott Bush, father of then president George HW Bush, was the keynote speaker. Just as he was wrapping up his speech, someone went to the salad table and collected a large plate full of broccoli and handed it to Bush at the podium, “Mr. Bush, I hope you don’t hate broccoli like President Bush.”

Prescott put one tiny piece of broccoli in his mouth, made a strange shriek and threw the whole plate down into a trash can nearby. That cracked everyone up.

I often tried to play with ideas to create broccoli recipes for broccoli haters.

On this sad occasion of our beloved president George HW Bush’s passing , I made this bacon flavored broccoli with SV hanger steak dish to honor him and thank him for his contributions to the world.

RIP, President Bush.

dcarch

875876737_BROCCOLIHANGERSTEK2.thumb.jpg.af04e36f8eaeacca1ada54ed5257eae3.jpg1695569996_BROCCOLIHANGERSTEAK.thumb.JPG.614dc381b7586aacadaa89e793423201.JPG

dcarch

dcarch

Before you accuse me of name-dropping, please hear me out. I don’t know anyone famous; I am not friends with anyone powerful; have no connections with anyone wealthy. I just have this bad habit of habitually running into interesting or strange people serendipitously.

I was still in college, a friend had a family emergency and couldn’t attend a fancy high profile golf outing which he paid over $1,000 for. He gave me the invitation. There were many recognizable faces at the outing. In my foursome, there was Bryant Gumbel, and a famous baseball legend. I had no idea who he was, because I was not a baseball fan.

At dinner time, Prescott Bush, father of then president George HW Bush, was the keynote speaker. Just as he was wrapping up his speech, someone went to the salad table and collected a large plate full of broccoli and handed it to Bush at the podium, “Mr. Bush, I hope you don’t hate broccoli like President Bush.”

Prescott put one tiny piece of broccoli in his mouth, made a strange shriek and threw the whole plate down into a trash can nearby. That cracked everyone up.

I often tried to play with ideas to create broccoli recipes for broccoli haters.

On this sad occasion of our beloved president George HW Bush’s passing , I made this bacon flavored broccoli with hanger steak dish to honor him and thank him for his contributions to the world.

RIP, President Bush.

dcarch

875876737_BROCCOLIHANGERSTEK2.thumb.jpg.af04e36f8eaeacca1ada54ed5257eae3.jpg1695569996_BROCCOLIHANGERSTEAK.thumb.JPG.614dc381b7586aacadaa89e793423201.JPG