• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

So how can one tell the difference between limes and lemons if both are green?  I have seen limes as large as lemons but the lemons were yellow making it easy to tell them apart.  

That's easy. We never get limes! They are always lemons.

Well, almost. I found limes twice in twenty years. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the Chinese for green lemons is 青柠檬 (qīng níng méng), where as the Chinese for limes is 青柠檬 (qīng níng méng). Yup! The same.

There is another way to say limes - 莱姆  (lái mǔ) in most dictionaries, but I've never seen or heard it used in real life. It is a phonetic rendition of the English using meaningless characters.

I stock up on limes when I visit Vietnam, which is nearby.

liuzhou

liuzhou

12 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

So how can one tell the difference between limes and lemons if both are green?  I have seen limes as large as lemons but the lemons were yellow making it easy to tell them apart.  

That's easy. We never get limes! They are always lemons.

Well, almost. I found limes twice in twenty years. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the Chinese for green lemons is

青柠檬 (qīng níng méng), where as the Chinese for limes is 青柠檬 (qīng níng méng). Yup! The same.

There is another way to say limes - 莱姆  (lái mǔ) in most dictionaries, but I've never seen or heard it used in real life. It is a phonetic rendition of the English using meaningless characters.

I stock up on limes when I visit Vietnam, which is nearby.