• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

34 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou Looks great, as usual.  That baby bok choi doesn't look like how I'm used to seeing it - the stems seem too narrow.  It looks sort of like a baby yu choi.  I'd love to know more about this.

The nomenclature for Chinese greens is a minefield, and varies from place to place.

Can you point me to an image of what you know as baby bok choy?

Yu choi is Cantonese. The Mandarin is 油菜 yóu cài (literally 'oil vegetable') and is rape, the origin of rapeseed oil or Canola.

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou Looks great, as usual.  That baby bok choi doesn't look like how I'm used to seeing it - the stems seem too narrow.  It looks sort of like a baby yu choi.  I'd love to know more about this.

The nomenclature for Chinese greens is a minefield, and varies from place to place.

Can you point me to an image of what you know as baby bok choy?

Yu choi is Cantonese. The Mandarin is 油菜 yóu cài and is rape, the origin of rapeseed oil or Canola.