• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TicTac

TicTac

33 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Can't imagine green tomatoes without a good, crisp coating of cornmeal on it.  And we all detest fried ripe tomatoes (they were always left on our plates when we were in England).  

I generally fry 1 lb. of bacon every couple of weeks.  When it's gone, it's gone.  Of course, the other week I cook sausage. 😉

They do not get crispy at all.  But they do caramelize gorgeously and take on a very sweet / tart flavour.  I also tend to cook garlic and onions with the greenies and the olive oil when all is said and is great with bread.

Put all those items on a nice hunk of crusty bread (zucchini flowers often find their way into this dish too) - happy times.

Edit - I have also added all those items to a blender and made a fantastic spread.

TicTac

TicTac

9 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Can't imagine green tomatoes without a good, crisp coating of cornmeal on it.  And we all detest fried ripe tomatoes (they were always left on our plates when we were in England).  

I generally fry 1 lb. of bacon every couple of weeks.  When it's gone, it's gone.  Of course, the other week I cook sausage. 😉

They do not get crispy at all.  But they do caramelize gorgeously and take on a very sweet / tart flavour.  I also tend to cook garlic and onions with the greenies and the olive oil when all is said and is great with bread.

Put all those items on a nice hunk of crusty bread (zucchini flowers often find their way into this dish too) - happy times.