• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

Ginger Beef! Made on the Control Freak. 

This is is a recipe I’m trying to develop. Anyone from western Canada knows this dish well, as it was developed in Calgary. Unhappy with the recipes online, I decided to make my own with a few improvements on the original. 

Im trying to keep the beef crispy, and the sauce sticky (but not too sweet). To do this I borrowed then marinade and batter technique from Modernist Cuisine’s Korean wings. Vodka to lower the boiling point, wondra (robin hood instant flour), and potato starch. Beef was super crispy after frying but lost its crisp after being added to the sauce. Think I will reduce a bit more next time. 

FD341CAE-26AE-4192-B6CA-D91256DB8715.jpeg

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

Ginger Beef! Made on the Control Freak. 

This is is a recipe I’m trying to develop. Anyone from western Canada knows this dish well, as it was developed in Calgary. Unhappy with the recipes online, I decided to make my own with a few improvements on the original. 

Im trying to keep the beef crispy, and the sauce sticky (but not too sweet). To do this I borrowed then marinade and batter technique from Modernist Cuisine’s Korean wings. Vodka to lower the boiling point, wondra (robin hood instant flour), and potato starch. Beef was super crispy after frying but lost it’s crisp after being added to the sauce. Think I will reduce a bit more next time. 

FD341CAE-26AE-4192-B6CA-D91256DB8715.jpeg