• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

Hot day today and supposed to be even hotter tomorrow. I went the simple route, and cooked steaks and bakers, outside, on the grill. Deb likes her steak (the one in the foreground) medium wellish. I have learned to get the grill screaming hot, put the 2 baked potatoes that I have miked for 12 minutes, on a small sizzle platter, on the grill for 6 minutes, (it is over 500 F at this point) then turn off one burner and put Deb's steak over the turned off side. This will put the first grill marks on her steak. I will  turn it after 5 minutes, turn it again, after another 5 minutes. At this point, that side of the grill is no longer leaving grill marks, but the heat of the grill  is baking it, and  her steak is just passing medium. I then put my steak on the hot side, long enough to mark it, turn it, and bring in, and plate the crisp skinned potatoes. At that point, I put the final grill marks on both our steaks, over the hot side of the grill, plate them, and shut everything off outside. As complex as this system sounds, Deb's steak is cooked to her liking, but still juicy and mine is still quite rare. 

IMG_1637.thumb.JPG.ae76db82fbfce95dbc6d9f447f325a4b.JPG

Here is my very rare steak.

HC

IMG_1636.thumb.JPG.988dfb81066df89230fdb8d08f06dea3.JPG

HungryChris

HungryChris

Hot day today and even hotter tomorrow. I went the simple route, and cooked steaks and bakers, outside, on the grill. Deb likes her steak (the one in the foreground) medium wellish. I have learned to get the grill screaming hot, put the 2 baked potatoes that I have miked for 12 minutes, on a small sizzle platter, on the grill for 6 minutes, (it is over 500 F at this point) then turn off one burner and put Deb's steak over the turned off side. This will put the first grill marks on her steak. I will  turn it after 5 minutes, turn it again, after 5 minutes. At this point, that side of the grill is no longer leaving grill marks, but Deb's steak is just passing medium. Then, I put my steak on the hot side, long enough to mark it, turn it and bring in, and plate the crisp skinned potatoes. At that point, I put the final grill marks on both our steaks, over the hot side of the grill, plate them, and shut everything off outside. As complex as this system sounds, Deb's steak is cooked to her liking, but still juicy and mine is still quite rare. 

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

Hot day today and even hotter tomorrow. I went the simple route, and cooked steaks and bakers, outside, on the grill. Deb likes her steak (the one in the foreground) medium wellish. I have learned to get the grill screaming hot, put the 2 baked potatoes that I have miked for 12 minutes, on a small sizzle platter, on the grill for 6 minutes, (it is over 500 F at this point) then turn off one burner and put Deb's steak over the turned off side. This will put the first grill marks on her steak. I will  turn it after 5 minutes, turn it again, after 5 minutes. At this point, that side of the grill is no longer leaving grill marks, but Deb's steak is just passing medium. Then, I put my steak on the hot side, long enough to mark it, turn it and bring in, and plate the crisp skinned potatoes. At that point, I put the final grill marks on both our steaks, over the hot side of the grill, plate them, and shut everything off outside. As complex as this system sounds, Deb's steak is cooked to her liking, but still juicy and mine is quite rare. 

HC