• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

@Kim Shook This dish, among many others, is very easily customizable.  In fact, many times, when you order this in a local food place, it won't have any chili in the dish at all, but will have a dish of chili on the table for you to add as much as you want.  I've found that Viet food is not usually very spicy - there are a lot of flavors, but tongue-tingling, make-you-sweat heat is not usually one of them, unless you add tons of chili yourself.

ETA:  There are actually no chili flakes in my version either... when I marinated the chicken, I used a bit of chili paste, but that paste isn't that hot, but has a good chili flavor.  And I put a bunch of thinly sliced "spur" chilis - long hot red chilis (that aren't that hot) in the dressing, but I defanged them so their mild heat was even milder - my wife is not a huge fan of very spicy food.  But they have great flavor other than heat, which is why I put them in.

KennethT

KennethT

@Kim Shook This dish, among many others, is very easily customizable.  In fact, many times, when you order this in a local food place, it won't have any chili in the dish at all, but will have a dish of chili on the table for you to add as much as you want.  I've found that Viet food is not usually very spicy - there are a lot of flavors, but tongue-tingling, make-you-sweat heat is not usually one of them, unless you add tons of chili yourself.