• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

So, after I say* this out loud, it's going to sound utterly ridiculous and not possible, but I swear it's true.  I had the flu in January --it hit me on the 8th.  That's how bad the flu was, because I can barely remember my own birthdate much less any other date.  Anyway, it knocked me for a loop to say the least.  After the first week it had moved from my chest up into my ears and throat.  Thus, the only things I could taste were salt and hot peppers...everything else was like a 9 times less version of it's real taste.  Anyway to sum up my long story, before this flu,  I had become a big heat weenie.  The tiniest jalapeño sent my eyes to watering and heartburn like you wouldn't believe.  So, during the flu, the one good thing was that I could eat everything hot.  700 jalapeños plus all the seeds went into the chili and so on.  I really took advantage of it because I knew that once I got rid of all of the junk in my nose, head and throat that I would go back to weenie-ness.

I haven't gone back.  I can eat everything hot.  The hotter the better.  I've googled to see if this phenomenon is a thing and I can't find that it is.  Now DURING a cold or flu, yeah, but not after it's all gone.  I cannot get enough hot.  Thus the following meals--I'm still afraid I'm going to lose my tolerance lol:

Hotdogs boiled in the cajun seasoning that I do crawdads in

After a trip to Santa Fe where I found everything quite hot initially - I developed receptor fatigue and soon it took much more to notice the heat. Same thing in Silver City a few years later.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

So, after I say* this out loud, it's going to sound utterly ridiculous and not possible, but I swear it's true.  I had the flu in January --it hit me on the 8th.  That's how bad the flu was, because I can barely remember my own birthdate much less any other date.  Anyway, it knocked me for a loop to say the least.  After the first week it had moved from my chest up into my ears and throat.  Thus, the only things I could taste were salt and hot peppers...everything else was like a 9 times less version of it's real taste.  Anyway to sum up my long story, before this flu,  I had become a big heat weenie.  The tiniest jalapeño sent my eyes to watering and heartburn like you wouldn't believe.  So, during the flu, the one good thing was that I could eat everything hot.  700 jalapeños plus all the seeds went into the chili and so on.  I really took advantage of it because I knew that once I got rid of all of the junk in my nose, head and throat that I would go back to weenie-ness.

I haven't gone back.  I can eat everything hot.  The hotter the better.  I've googled to see if this phenomenon is a thing and I can't find that it is.  Now DURING a cold or flu, yeah, but not after it's all gone.  I cannot get enough hot.  Thus the following meals--I'm still afraid I'm going to lose my tolerance lol:

Hotdogs boiled in the cajun seasoning that I do crawdads in

IMG_4407.JPG.aec97bd2affe7711e31957aa46bbba70.JPG

Lo mein and Asian sticky wings (lots of chile added)

IMG_4408.JPG.f2e9befc6117fbed7d87253381235ce7.JPG

IMG_4409.jpg.131109963c50c4b6ca1d5218358adcb5.jpg

IMG_4412.JPG.e6cc9e7f7e7983034be963b4768e77e5.JPG

Steak quesadillas

IMG_4413.jpg.93f6b4ce1b924b9f2ca9deb9a07d4a1c.jpg

IMG_4414.JPG.3f95dd07b0b82d684413ced04898ca2e.JPG

I cannot wait for jalapeños from the garden.

*write

After a trip to Santa Fe where I found everything quite hot initially - I developed receptor fatigue and soon it took much more to notice the heat. Same thing in Silver City a few years later.