• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

At a small group cooking site someone posted a recipe from an old Italian restaurant in New Orleans. It included a tomato sauce that had little in it besides tomatoes and salt and pepper but it was cooked for 6 hours.  Someone else said that she didn't bother cooking tomato sauce anymore since Paul Newman's was so good.  Someone else said Trader Joe's Organic tomato sauce was the best.  Jimmy is an Italian and he said that they put raw meatballs in the sauce and cook them that way.  I decided to  get some Paul Newman's sauce and some Trader Joes and see which one I liked best.  I have not tried Paul Newmans yet but I did cook raw meat balls in Trader Joe's Organic Spaghetti sauce. They cooked for a little under two hours. I added some water to the sauce at the start so it would not cook out too thick at the end.  Charlie has not had much of an appetite lately but he had two full helpings. The Spaghetti absorbed much of the sauce.

20180417_174802.jpg

20180417_175037.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

At a small group cooking site someone posted a recipe from an old Italian restaurant in New Orleans. It included a tomato sauce that had little in it besides tomatoes and salt and pepper but it was cooked for 6 hours.  Someone else said that she didn't bother cooking tomato sauce anymore since Paul Newman's was so good.  Someone else said Trader Joe's Organic tomato sauce was the best.  Jimmy is an Italian and he said that they put raw meatballs in the sauce and cook them that way.  I decided to  get some Paul Newman's sauce and some Trader Joes and see which one I liked best.  I have not tried Paul Newmans yet but I did cook raw meat balls in Trader Joe's Organic Spaghetti sauce. They cooked for a little under two hours. I added some water to the sauce at the start so it would not cook out too thick at the end.  Charlie has not had much of an appetite lately but he had two full helpings. 

20180417_174802.jpg

20180417_175037.jpg