• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

They look delicious and I bet they were. Did you make your own wraps? They look different from what I might’ve expected meaning they don’t quite look like the egg roll wrappers I can buy here nor quite like the flour tortillas that I can buy.  I am just very curious.)

No. I didn't make the wrappers - they are store bought. Apologies if I may have inadvertently suggested otherwise.

I buy these wraps in the one supermarket which still has an in-house bakery. The local name  for them is 面皮 (miàn pí) which literally means 'wheat (flour) skins'.

Somewhat confusingly, the same name is sometimes used in Xi'an and environs for a type of wheat noodles, also known as 凉皮 (liáng pí). Apart from the name, they are unrelated.

It occurs to me that I haven't the faintest idea how they are used locally. I only ever use them as I have shown above. They are certainly not like egg roll wrappers nor tortillas. They are in two thin layers with an overall textural resemblance to thick wrapping paper (but tastier!).

I will make enquiries and get back to you on how they are used here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

They look delicious and I bet they were. Did you make your own wraps? They look different from what I might’ve expected meaning they don’t quite look like the egg roll wrappers I can buy here nor quite like the flour tortillas that I can buy.  I am just very curious.)

No. I didn't make the wrappers - they are store bought. Apologies if I may have inadvertently suggested otherwise.

I buy these wraps in the one supermarket which still has an in-house bakery. The local name  for them is 面皮 (miàn pí) which literally means 'wheat (flour) skins'.

Somewhat confusingly, the same name is sometimes used in Xi'an and environs for a type of wheat noodles, also known as 凉皮 (liáng pí). Apart from the name, they are unrelated.

It occurs to me that I haven't the faintest idea how they are used locally. I only ever use them as I have shown above. They are certainly not like egg roll wrappers nor tortillas. They are in two thin layers with an overall resemblance to thick wrapping paper (but tastier!).

I will make enquiries and get back to you on how they are used here.