• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

That's why I put in those green onions!

But tapas are in the tan/brown/orange palette mostly, aren't they? 

There must be something doable that's green....sprouts perhaps. 

Maybe offset with some Piementos de Padron ?

• Like 1

2B734013-C357-49A4-91D5-2F26CC18BB8B.thumb.jpeg.6902dffc41a7097dd69947e75c35839c.jpeg

Honey-mustard roasted chicken, smashed potato and steamed broccoli.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/25/2018 at 11:24 AM, rotuts said:

@Norm Matthews

would you share with us the name of that Korean Cookbook ?

@rotuts  Glad to share.  Here is the information. 

Discovering Korean Cuisine:  Recipes from the Best Korean Restaurants in Los Angeles.  Printed in South Korea, 2007.  Dream Character, Inc.   

Edited by Norm Matthews
Update and spelling (log)

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

That's why I put in those green onions!

But tapas are in the tan/brown/orange palette mostly, aren't they? 

There must be something doable that's green....sprouts perhaps. 

No worry.  When you turn the lights down to tapa bar levels, everything looks orange :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@gfweb  You don't by any chance have a link to that recipe for the butter poached shrimp and grits, do you?  My next door neighbour just came back from Barcelona and brought me some pimentón and that looks like a great dish to use it in.

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@gfweb  You don't by any chance have a link to that recipe for the butter poached shrimp and grits, do you?  My next door neighbour just came back from Barcelona and brought me some pimentón and that looks like a great dish to use it in.

It's real simple. I sous vide cooked the shrimp with 3 tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp pimenton, big pinch of salt and about 2 tbsp sherry vinegar. 140 F for 15 min.  If you don't have SV this would work great with heated tap water and a zip loc bag for 15 min. 

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

It's real simple. I sous vide cooked the shrimp with 3 tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp pimenton, big pinch of salt and about 2 tbsp sherry vinegar. 140 F for 15 min.  If you don't have SV this would work great with heated tap water and a zip loc bag for 15 min. 

Thank you, I have an immersion circulator and noted the directions.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Grilled boneless chicken thighs and corn.  To be followed by raspberry cheesecake gelato.  Life is good.

IMG_0593.thumb.JPG.8dadaaaace5d5ac684dcec875b84cdd3.JPG

And made even better by the view.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

LoStrawberries, yogurt, brown sugar. Wanted something sweet, but light.

20180428_190851.thumb.jpg.bda7552e327963c63b9c946738c0d3db.jpg

First trip to the Farmer's Market, as we were Memphis bound anyway. Also scored asparagus, baby bok choy, and goodies from my favorite Lebanese vendor...grape leaves, hummus, pita. Dinner tomorrow.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

25 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@kayb  I am sooo jealous of your local strawberries.  Ours are 2 months away.

We've had "local," if by local you mean from the central and southern part of the state, berries since about the first of April. These were about the first I've seen from up here in the "frozen northeast." Color balance on that pic is horrible, but they were WONDERFUL berries, for which I'm grateful, as I bought two quarts of them. Need to make some fresh yogurt and some more granola tomorrow.

These came from the Farmers' Market in Memphis, as ours up here doesn't start until next week. The good news is they way they're staged, I can eat Central Arkansas berries until they play out and then have more for a good while up here! And then it'll be peach time!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Sure.  Thin sliced fennel and fronds with sectioned oranges.  Squeezed the orange for its juice and made a dressing with a little mustard and a touch of olive oil and honey to take the sharp edges off the mustard and round it out 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

13 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

i should add that some of the fennel looks translucent as a result of being on the side of the fridge next to the freezer and got partially frozen.  Still retained some crunch so I used it 

Did the fennel soften up? I worry about rawness, but love the orange combination. Did you salt it and rest it like Cole slaw?

No pics tonight....the omnivores dove into the platters while I was still searching for my camera.  But....6 hours of prep time interrupted by balloons flying, grandkids running through the house, and kids swiping food every time I turned my back....I thought the outcome was decent. 

Nachos.....chicken chili with black beans in a sharp cheddar dip  (crock pot)

Red cabbage/pear/jicama/pineapple slaw

Snicker salad

20 roll-ups -  10 chicken, shredded cabbage, chive/onions, cream cheese, cukes.  10 with roast beef.

36 turkey pastrami/sharp cheddar with chive/onion spread. Ran out of cheddar, subbed in some smoke Gruyere.  Wished I had used that cheese for all of them!

Homemade mac& cheese. (Béchamel , sharp cheddar, gouda, gruyere, etc..garlic, pepper, and crumb topping.)

and the mother of all birthday cakes. 

6 layers, (3 tiers)

each tier had a dark chocolate layer, and a yellow layer. Homemade butter cream icing. Decorated the whole thing - not my forte..but it looked cool enough for my new 13 year old and 25+ guests. =) 

Feet are killing me. And I have to clean the whole kitchen and prep for dinner tomorrow with friends. :o

• Like 8

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@gfweb The fennel was sliced quite thin so not hard but retained some crunch,  but I like raw fennel.  I tasted it before adding any salt and liked it but thought a little salt might make it better so only added a very small sprinkle.  My wife would prefer none.  Salt is the enemy <rolleyes>

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)