• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Korean BBQ, rotisserie chicken. If I can find 2 Kirkwood Farms chickens at Aldi at about 4 1/2 lbs each, I will buy them. The reason being that this is just about the limit for the Webber grill rotisserie, that I have. Anything bigger than that, and they rip their skin on the base drip catcher. In my mind, this is a Webber design flaw, but, I digress.

I trussed and marinated these birds for 4 hours before they went on the grill rotisserie, adjusted to exactly 400 F. I spin these for 2  1/2 hours, basting with the marinade every 20 minutes and they come out perfectly. Served these with some Silver Queen corn from last summer.

I  cook 2 at a time, one for us, and one for Deb's daughter and SIL, who seem to welcome them, even cold, the next day.

HC

IMG_2400.thumb.JPG.66340d6ea34cec055b76398af9753a3a.JPG

IMG_2401.thumb.JPG.b30365e6cc57c91ed004921be3a6d130.JPG

IMG_2403.thumb.JPG.5e3fa32203486b6b56b0922913e32717.JPGIMG_2404.thumb.JPG.86da9248850b225338e842da0ca4a934.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 17

10 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@JoNorvelleWalker I recommend being generous with oil in the fry pan and to brown the bottoms well before adding water....otherwise they can stick.  Once the second frying is complete they should lift off the pan relatively well.  You can use chicken stock instead of water if you like.

Now I have a serious dumpling want onxD

I plan to steam mine though.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Steaming sounds good.  Need to keep in mind how you are going to prevent them from sticking to the steamer.  

Dumplings go well with bad weather.  Hope you are ok after the storm arrives.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

5 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Steaming sounds good.  Need to keep in mind how you are going to prevent them from sticking to the steamer.  

Dumplings go well with bad weather.  Hope you are ok after the storm arrives.

Plan is to place the dumplings on bed of napa cabbage in the CSO.

Very clever.  I would be interested in your dumpling size, cook temp and time.  I was thinking this would be a good way to cook dumplings just this afternoon.  But natural gas is way cheaper than electricity, humm, decisions, decisions.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Very clever.  I would be interested in your dumpling size, cook temp and time.  I was thinking this would be a good way to cook dumplings just this afternoon.  But natural gas is way cheaper than electricity, humm, decisions, decisions.

It won't be tonight.  Almost midnight* and very tired.  Dinner might just be another mai tai.  Lots of food in house that I don't feel like cooking.  Not looking forward to what might come tomorrow.

No gas here, natural or otherwise.  But if power goes out I have a $400 flashlight, two jars of peanut butter, a large uncut boule, several cheeses, gallons of rum and several pounds of nuts.  Not to mention ice cream.

*I lied.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My colleague at the library said it was the busiest night that she could remember.  So tired I can barely see straight.*  Dinner was ramen.  Not instant ramen, but I confess with packaged Japanese bone broth:

Dinner03072018.png

One criterion was I had to use up leftovers, so lots of sliced scallions and previously roast pork.  Shichimi Togarashi not shown.  Some of my best ramen.  Dessert is my new addiction, a cup of Siggi's triple cream skyr.  Skyr is Icelandic yogurt.  Lemon in this case.  Finest yogurt I have had.

*I said "tired".

• Like 8

Ever get one of those days where, although nothing specifically bad happened, just left you feeling you got nowhere?  Well, I just had one. No one died; no one was hurt; no promises or expectations were broken or dashed. It was just kind of empty and uninspiring.

So I was feeling kind of lost when it came to cooking time. Had a bunch of stuff in the fridge which need using up, so...

rice.thumb.jpg.078257ce0efe77fa292dc2418b4dd595.jpg

Did some spicy beef fried rice with unused sugar snap peas from yesterday. Beef, rice, shiitake mushrooms, leeks, chilli and the peas. No egg. No soy sauce (soy sauce in fried rice? Unheard of!)

Beef fried rice isn't even a thing here. We get egg fried rice and Yangzhou fried rice and that's it. I would bet heavy money I'm the only person in this city of 5 million who has ever cooked it or eaten it.

Anyway, it filled the hole and tomorrow is another day for which I have more gastronautical ideas.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Posted on the eG Cook-Off thread, too.  Martha Stewart's Tonkatsu.  It was good – nothing terribly new about it, except for serving a lightly dressed Napa salad beside it.  Too lightly in my opinion.  It is only supposed to be dressed with salt, pepper, and rice vinegar.  I found it too sharp and drizzled in a tiny bit of oil.  In looking at pictures online, I’ve discovered that the cabbage salad is almost always served with the tonkatsu.  Other cabbage salad recipes that I’ve found DO include some kind of oil and lots of other seasonings, too.  I also found the sauce a little wanting – just catsup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar.  I added some soy sauce and allspice.  Pork:

DSCN8089.JPG.0e6e0f34b4c3e60a890def8a0168c995.JPG

With Napa, sauce and rice (topped with leftover sauce from the short rib dinner – too good to waste):

DSCN8090.JPG.a52323c2f20fea859f204522ba309be2.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@liuzhou I'm sorry to hear that you had a blah day but it's good to know that I'm not the only one that feels that way sometimes. Yesterday was one for me, too. We haven't had any rain since November and yesterday was hot, windy and dusty. All I could do all day was sneeze, so dinner last night was also blah and boring. We had pork cutlets sandwiches on homemade rolls and cantaloupe. It was so boring looking that I didn't even take a picture of it. BTY, is it true that they don't ever put soy sauce in fried rice? Almost every recipe that I see calls for soy sauce.

@Kim Shook  That tonkatsu looks wonderful. Now I'm kicking myself for not picking up the thick boneless pork chops I saw last week. That is a beautiful meal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Now I have a serious dumpling want onxD

I see what you did, there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

BTY, is it true that they don't ever put soy sauce in fried rice? Almost every recipe that I see calls for soy sauce.

I won't say that in China no one ever uses soy sauce in fried rice, but it is rare to the point of nearly never. Doing so is a western thing. I've just spent a while Chinese language searching Google for recipes and haven't found one that includes soy sauce.

Yet, as you say nearly all the English language recipes do.

44 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

@liuzhou I don't know why, but that's the saddest plate of food I've ever seen. It must've been the aforementioned paragraph, now I just want to give that fried rice a big hug and say, "it'll all be ok."

It tasted better than it looks, but I'll admit it wasn't wonderful. I just wasn't in the mood to give it the love it deserved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

haven't found one that includes soy sauce.

To what do they rely for their flavor? Is it strictly the aromatics in the rice?

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Doing so is a western thing.

It is so prevalent here that even all the little Chinese restaurants do it. My housemate absolutely adores this stuff and sometimes he will pick some up on his way home from work just to do his part so that I don't have to cook every night. I suck it up and eat it, but every time, I feel like I've earned an Academy Award.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
punctuation (log)

3 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

To what do they rely for their flavor? Is it strictly the aromatics in the rice?

Actually, fried rice isn't as common as many people think. Most restaurants, however will offer one. Yangzhou Fried Rice is by far the most common. It consists of rice, egg, ham, shrimp, peas, onion, plus sometimes corn, cucumber, chilli, MSG etc. It is very tasty.

Simple egg fried rice is canteen or street food and is served as a dish in its own right rather than as a side.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Ever get one of those days where, although nothing specifically bad happened, just left you feeling you got nowhere?  Well, I just had one. No one died; no one was hurt; no promises or expectations were broken or dashed. It was just kind of empty and uninspiring.

So I was feeling kind of lost when it came to cooking time. Had a bunch of stuff in the fridge which need using up, so...

rice.thumb.jpg.078257ce0efe77fa292dc2418b4dd595.jpg

Did some spicy beef fried rice with unused sugar snap peas from yesterday. Beef, rice, shiitake mushrooms, leeks, chilli and the peas. No egg. No soy sauce (soy sauce in fried rice? Unheard of!)

Beef fried rice isn't even a thing here. We get egg fried rice and Yangzhou fried rice and that's it. I would bet heavy money I'm the only person in this city of 5 million who has ever cooked it or eaten it.

Anyway, it filled the hole and tomorrow is another day for which I have more gastronautical ideas.

Sometimes I have a feeling of gloom boom and doom.  Which is a lot better than a classical Russian depression/disaster.   It is usually short lived and almost always can be alleviated by cooking.  Which is what you did.  Cheers!

• Like 5