• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

I went into Aldi the other day to pick up their $20 food dehydrator.   Tried to make some biltong with a lean bottom round roast but even sliced thin across the grain it's way too chewy with thin thread like fibers running through the meat

But currently I'm tending the smoker which is holding the tail and belly portions of a side of salmon also from Aldi.  Seasoned with salt and brown sugar

• Like 4

On a visit to a little restaurant in Rome, 2 years ago, Pane Vino e San Daniel, on the way to the refurbished Trevi Fountain, Deb had a dish of polenta, gorgonzola cheese, toasted walnuts and arugula that was so good, it has haunted me ever since. Tonight, I took a stab at it and was pretty pleased with it.

HC

IMG_1771.thumb.JPG.0cb2673d351a0ac6e305e12ed0c601b5.JPGIMG_1772.thumb.JPG.efdd83f908265b216bd179a19744e836.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 18

First is a salad with pepper dressing and strips of ostrich, then samosas filled with peas, another filled/fried pastry, and some sort of delicious potato fritters with a wonderful lemon/garlic aioli type dressing and eggplant/coriander dip. To follow, the fluffiest couscous with tomatoes, lentils, braised/spiced carrots, crispy fish in coconut broth with tiny shrimp, and a chicken curry. Dessert was a cardamom flavored ice cream with small Egyptian nut filled pastries and a shot of Amurrula liquor, for good measure! All of this was enjoyed to some amazing native song and dance. The restaurant name is Gold in Capetown..

Edited by mm84321 (log)
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, HungryChris said:

On a visit to a little restaurant in Rome, 2 years ago, Pane Vino e San Daniel, on the way to the refurbished Trevi Fountain, Deb had a dish of polenta, gorgonzola cheese, toasted walnuts and arugula has haunted me ever since. Tonight, I took a stab at it and was pretty pleased with it.

HC

OH MY!!!  I can just imagine how delicious.   I need to buy gorgonzola.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

On a visit to a little restaurant in Rome, 2 years ago, Pane Vino e San Daniel, on the way to the refurbished Trevi Fountain, Deb had a dish of polenta, gorgonzola cheese, toasted walnuts and arugula that was so good, it has haunted me ever since. Tonight, I took a stab at it and was pretty pleased with it.

HC

That looks scrumptious. I used to make a dish that was a kind of gnocchi alla romana using polenta instead of semolina. It involved cooling the polenta in a slab, cutting the slab into squares and baking them with gorgonzola and a bit of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts or walnuts. I haven't made it in years, but if I do it again I would definitely rest it on a bed of arugula. Variations on this combo of ingredients must be more common that I thought. 

• Like 1

Leftover Chkmeruli from the other evening, the walnut sauce enriched with marigold, fenugreek, and coriander.  Soko Ketze, mushrooms baked with cheese (Supra pp162,163).  Bread and pomegranate seeds.  Much wine, some Georgian.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

OK. Try, Try & Try again. 

I have taken some advise from Ann_T & Gfweb today and I have gone and bought an S8, so hopefully it will help with my quality/colour issues! For now its still in its box, its a school night and I am tired! I was loathe for a repeat of yesterday so I found the energy to grab my old sony point and click and made the effort to swap sd cards and so on and so forth until I can get the phone up and running. 

Tonight was chicken, bacon & tomato salad with a mustard/sour cream dressing in a 'Parmesan bowl' for Mr low carb. My first attempt bowl was more a shallow tray to be honest. 

ceaserish.thumb.jpg.f306a03fcd02aa65e744bb482dfacb89.jpg

parmesanbowl.thumb.jpg.b961745fa6c8b3d2cc34bbedc69edc2a.jpg

• Like 23

57 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

Great lunch with great guy, fellow egullet-er JohnT!

Lucky you. The lunch would’ve been nice but meeting up with @JohnTwould’ve been really special. :)

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a good friend from Australia who lives in Seattle.  She gave me this recipe from a Scotsman who prior to making this recipe, said she didn't have a clue as to what meatloaf really was.  My friend has made it several times and vouched for it.  We agree that is it different and good,  but along with converting it from metric to US,  I made some changes that I think are relatively minor.  We had it with leftover green beans, potatoes cooked with the meatloaf and Amigo Joe's corn relish which is spicy with cumin. 

20180108_172049.jpg

• Like 12

Pork chop and roasted potatoes.  I love making side dishes in CSO which requires no attention.  All I have to do is to sear a piece of protein at the right time and voila.

IMG_0431.thumb.JPG.01915fd7c0b178392b6853396139fe42.JPG

• Like 12

A couple meals.  

Last night, salmon belly and tail off the smoker.  The fish was salted and coated in brown sugar before hitting the smoker.  

So good

tonight a kosher salchicha sausage done middle eastern style 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 19

4358225D-0C00-47CB-83A7-39C4454FD92C.thumb.jpeg.b1a3b3a50fa29cbb901281f73794e3ff.jpeg

Grilled Treviso, St. Agur cheese, dressing and a reheated slice of pizza. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog