• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

The evidence of my pre-dinner six of the best.5a95b854c9945_IMG_2670105.thumb.jpg.0937b853fde27cbf5e91a00440634d6b.jpg

I shuck my own as I like doing it. And I have no one else. It's the anticipation of lime juice, Tabasco or nothing. I bought a pair of level 5 cut resistant gloves and they seem to work really well. What do others trickle on their open little joys. D

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Doofa said:

What do others trickle on their open little joys. D

I have tried but I just can't get them down raw. My very favorite way to eat oysters is to bread them well, fry them and have them on a sandwich with thick sliced bacon and whole wheat toast with just butter on it. A nice little cholesterol bomb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doofa said:

The evidence of my pre-dinner six of the best.5a95b854c9945_IMG_2670105.thumb.jpg.0937b853fde27cbf5e91a00440634d6b.jpg

I shuck my own as I like doing it. And I have no one else. It's the anticipation of lime juice, Tabasco or nothing. I bought a pair of level 5 cut resistant gloves and they seem to work really well. What do others trickle on their open little joys. D

A little lemon juice, and plunk them on top of a Saltine cracker. Copious quantities of cold Abita Amber alongside.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Fried shrimp, oysters (leftover from a recent dinner out), Rice A Roni (what can I say, we like it:$), and green beans:

DSCN8066.JPG.b2c15ffe90ca251b2521dcc6ef370bf2.JPG

More restaurant dinner leftovers – pita w/ saganaki:

DSCN8065.thumb.JPG.4b860fb59f1f66665569dc3035bc77fc.JPG

Shrimp sauce, pita, hummus, octopus, and tzatziki:

DSCN8064.JPG.032ad831a506d1b17fac6b29f500c5ba.JPG

Meant to say earlier, I like Rice-A-Roni too.  Haven't had that for a while.  Need to rectify that.

• Like 5

B077F529-0D3B-495D-8AA7-25D4EBB4516A.thumb.jpeg.5b6833628962b63629e41b71da4b62a4.jpeg

Steak, mushrooms and broccoli. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Doofa said:

you’re a brave person. 

I know now it’s not the hippest choice, but I’m a horseradish or cocktail sauce person. 

NOT a fan of mignonette 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Meant to say earlier, I like Rice-A-Roni too.  Haven't had that for a while.  Need to rectify that.

I will never forget Laura Calder (a Canadian cook that appeared on the Cooking Channel) who specializes in French food had an episode where she went somewhere in France and (I think) fished with a man and cooked with his wife.  The wife basically made Rice-A-Roni.  From scratch, but it was still Rice-A-Roni.  Laura was so obviously perplexed.  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I will never forget Laura Calder (a Canadian cook that appeared on the Cooking Channel) who specializes in French food had an episode where she went somewhere in France and (I think) fished with a man and cooked with his wife.  The wife basically made Rice-A-Roni.  From scratch, but it was still Rice-A-Roni.  Laura was so obviously perplexed.  :laugh:

Boy, that brought back memories. When I was first married, the only cookbook that I had was either Betty Crocker or Better Homes and Gardens, the one with the checkered cover, and it had a recipe for rice pilaf that was made with rice and little bits of spaghetti broken up in it. I made it in a skillet with a tight cover, and I made it often. Someone stole my cookbook and after that I never made it again. That was long before Rice-A-Roni was popular.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

The mushrooms are touching the steak!! while the broccoli remains aloof :B

That mushroom slipped as I carried my plate to the table. xD   I was able to overcome my horror. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/24/2018 at 5:08 AM, HungryChris said:

I like to prepare a kimchi tartar sauce that is a simple mixture of finely diced kimchi and mayo.

Thank you for this suggestion!  Got home very late, tired and hangry after a funeral and a long car ride home.  I really wanted kimchi & avocado toast for breakfast this AM but resisted because I didn't want to be kissing all the funeral people with kimchi breath.  My almost-midnight supper consisted of putting some TJ's frozen calamari in the CSO, opening a bottle of wine and giving this kimchi tartar sauce a test drive.  Excellent. I've had my kimchi fix and can see using it on sandwiches and other applications, too.  Thank you.

• Like 4

Everyone's food looks so delicious and full of effort. I however am trapped in a phase of " 'expletive' this cooking lark, I'm too tired". Unfortunately (but not for my waist line) I don't have take away as an option.

The better half got a begrudgingly served soy sauce chicken & vegetable omelette/pancake. It's always been a riff on UK Chinese takeaway egg foo young (which is totally different to the American version) but I rarely have the beansprouts, or the inclination to deep fry an omelette (Also aware this dish is unlikely to exist in real life china). 20180228_200925.thumb.jpg.b890154795cf3df7a589e92c79739e71.jpg

Little man had a mini roast with chicken, broc, potatoes, corn and peas. 

I, in lieu of dinner, had a horrible shock, when I took a deep swig from the mug I had used to reheat the frozen Gravy rather than my Black Coffee. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Also aware this dish is unlikely to exist in real life china

It does, but isn't at all common. It seems to more prevalent in the US and UK as you say, but also, for some reason, in Indonesia. I don't think it would have chicken here, though.

Anyway, I'd happily eat your version.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto