• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Chicken cacciatore:

Dinner02222018a.png

Not leftovers.  I know it has been only a couple days, but I do love it so.

Bread and Boursin not shown.

Those mushrooms look heavenly. Do you really have dinner so late or just post later? 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2018 at 3:03 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

Clean the fridge out salad tonight. 

I yelled out to himself 'Want meat in it?' Whilst dutifully slicing the last of the beautiful salami we had. 'Yeah chuck the rest of that Strasburg in' was my response from the shower O.o

Strasburg is a processed sausage shaped 'meat' made of pork, beef AND chicken bits that I cannot bring myself to eat. But it reminds some people of their childhood - hey I'll eat kidney pie out of a can so thats probably worse. 

I used a mustard dipping sauce I made for our corn beef attempt as dressing. Didn't know how to drizzle it all fancy for you guys so I used a 2ml syringe left over from administering lil man medication (clean of course). 

You know the sand worm poop trails left on the beach at low tide... yeah. 9_9

20180221_185158.thumb.jpg.fb27bf6e7b5f92307e882fc9b5aa9913.jpg

You are a mother after my own heart.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Tuesday, chicken stew with biscuits

5a9021f341f15_chickenstew.thumb.jpg.b1c57126b9b3f725e06f564b0fe6f2b5.jpg

Wednesday, braised monkfish "pot roast style" from the New York Times.  This was delicious but next time I'll leave the fish whole rather than chunking it into pieces for a better presentation.

5a9021f70496a_monkfish2.thumb.jpg.9c0e735cdbc303e0e88a27b8aa94ef5f.jpg

Last night, roasted salmon sandwiches with bacon-basil aioli

5a9021fad8c84_salmonsandwich.thumb.jpg.889c2846552c7ea38cf24e51f4af9c26.jpg

• Like 22
  • Delicious 1

Kaffir Lime leaves under the skin and inside the cavity. Turmeric massaged onto the skin. Roasted and devoured!

5a9031d72bdad_TurmericChicken2607.jpg.603abec8eabc7aa172cbe979b7f5afa6.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I sprained my toe night before last, so standing up cooking for a long time wasn’t an option.  Salads with the never ending Napa cabbage (seriously, does this stuff never go bad?  I bought it weekend before last!):

DSCN8039.JPG.8add9d18ccfc80d0a96d4e572aed6677.JPG

And fast and dirty spaghetti and meatballs:

DSCN8040.JPG.a089522c3476b1131bd541dfe4e7b85e.JPG

Ground beef, Classico sauce, and purchased meatballs (we’ve actually found a frozen brand we like).  I set the timer for 20 minutes and got up off the couch where I was propped up and iced down to stir.  It tasted just fine! :P

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

seriously, does this stuff never go bad? 

Never! I have one in my fridge about 3 weeks old that will go in a stir-fry tonight. But after that I think it's reached its limit. I'm so sorry about your toe. Just know that that is the one that you will be stubbing for about 2 months. It never fails.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Those mushrooms look heavenly. Do you really have dinner so late or just post later? 

Thanks, last night was an early dinner.  More typically I eat between midnight and 2:00 am.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have been going through a family crisis, so meals were a Wendy's single grabbed and bolted very quickly with a medium fry, which came out hot and was a larger serving than the McDonald's large fry which almost always comes out from my franchise as cold and very stale. This Wendy's who claimed to have their Frosty machine broken over the less than two handfuls of times I asked for one over a decade actually delivered a thick, medium chocolate one. I also had a "Dave's single" with lettuce, tomato, raw onion and mayo. It was lukewarm and gave me indigestion. I hate trying to keep up the pace with men who wolf food down. I can't really do it, and it affects me for days. This burger was orders of magnitude better than BK' similar version the following day. Wendy's actually rocks, at least this franchise:)

Next day all I ate was Burger King Medium fries, which were cold and bad, Whopper Jr. and a med. chocolate milk shake. Their handling of our requests for chocolate shakes led me to believe that they carry only one size? Oh, and BTW for you fast food fans out there, Wendy's chocolate Frosty so blows Burger King's chocolate shake out of the water there is no question at all which is better! I tried to suck Wendy's through a straw, but it was so thick that that was impossible until I'd finished my fries and most of the burger. I'm not going to go out on a limb and say Wendy's has less fake ingredients. To my taste Wendy's Frosty is worlds better, thicker and tastes more natural. YMMV Thumbs WAY down for this Cary location of BK for me.

That's all I ate both of those days, but for my size and metabolism, it provides all I need.

Today, at after 11:00 PM my brother's ex-wife, who never entered his dying room at the hospital, and was there to support her children, and her parents, the kid's grandparents, brought sandwiches from a nearby Walmart. I had to pull off a piece of clearly rotten lettuce from mine, but there were potato chips (ridged, which I despise unless needed for structural integrity to support a good onion dip, which was absent) and Oreos.  I may be the only red-blooded American who does not eat Oreos, but whoo! I hate'em. To her credit, she did bring bananas too. No one touched them, although we were all in dire need of real nutrition. Egulleters, never buy sandwiches from Walmart, at least the one near the hospital near the Cary Wake Med. I was starving, have a pretty strong immune system, but they were clearly on their way to rotten. I appreciate the lady, who is my SIL, although ex, providing food for all of us to the best of her ability, though. Also, my ex-FIL, bro's ex-wife's dad, is a pastor, so it was so perfect when the ICU nurses came in and asked did we want to call the chaplain. He said a few well chosen words that moved us all. It was the perfect moment and SO appreciated. He is also the one that married bro and ex-SIL at his Long Island parsonage. This is hard, but the family has come together to share the terrible burden. Food has been a factor but snatched and forced as we deal with this.

So those have been my pathetic meals. I am looking forward to the pork butt steak that I had put in the crock pot when the word about our crisis came. I refrigerated after cooling it when I got home on the first night of the vigil, and will crisp it up in the CSO tomorrow unless my family calls on me again. That's unlikely, since people in wheelchairs are more of a burden than a help.

I did delight in being able to go to the pantry in the ICU and get Italian ices and stuff I could carry in pockets or my backpack and carry back for people. I can't carry drinks on the wheelchair, but there are still a few useful things I'm able to do, and I welcome every opportunity to do so like an oasis.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I sprained my toe night before last, so standing up cooking for a long time wasn’t an option.  Salads with the never ending Napa cabbage (seriously, does this stuff never go bad?  I bought it weekend before last!):

Hi Kim,

Sorry to hear about your injury. Stands out like a sore thumb(toe) don't it? Sisters in misery with ya with my broken hip in recovery.

Yeah, cabbage does tend to last a long time. I've gotten really good with managing the longevity of ingredients not having a car for about three years and then breaking my hip in November last year and being completely dependent on outside help to get groceries and supplies. Napa cabbage will last a long time, up to a month in good shape, I've found. It's a looser head than the regular green cabbage in tight, compact heads. Napa will dry out at the open end of the head. That regular green cabbage, though? I've kept that under refrigeration for up to three months as long as I cut at the stem base and peel off whole leaves as I need them. Sometimes, the outer leaves are dehydrated and need to be discarded, but as long as one maintains the integrity of the head, it's really surprising how long regular cabbage can last. Of course, if you hack wedges out of it, it won't last nearly as long. I also understand that the nutrients in cabbage degrade quite significantly under long storage.

Lettuce is not as durable as cabbages, but works the same way. You can really extend the life of a head of lettuce by cutting off slices at the bottom of the core and freeing individual leaves. The plant thinks it's still alive and will last much longer. That's why, although I actually adore a wedge salad, with just me here, I don't do that. Once you hack into the plant like that, it won't last nearly as long.

Shoot, I've even seen long-stored cabbages under refrigeration try to put put roots from the bottom of the sliced core. That is one resilient veggie!

Another long-laster is daikon radish in good shape initially. Slice what you need to use from the root end and leave the top intact. I've used that veggie for three months as well. The top tries to grow greens on a healthy specimen and roots sometimes try to develop from the sides of the unsliced areas. It helps to trick veggies into thinking they are still alive by orienting them in your fridge the same way they would grow in the ground, in my experience.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

9 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yeah, cabbage does tend to last a long time.

I brought home a lovely little Napa cabbage tonight so we will see.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner tonight - Coconut-Lemongrass Chicken Bowls.  This is a Cooking Light Diet recipe that is meant to be cooked in a slow cooker but I was in a hurry so I gave it the Instant Pot treatment.  There are rice noodles on the bottom of tte bowl.  Hard to believe diet food can be this tasty.

20180223_184541.jpg

• Like 12

@ElsieD When my wife and I were in Central Vietnam for a week last summer, we ate Viet food all the time - I kept joking that I thought I had a tapeworm because I was always hungry - and after all that eating, I think I wound up losing like 5 pounds by the time I got home... it's the weirdest feeling to lose weight while on an eating vacation!  Then again, it was like 120degF every day, so maybe it was all water weight....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@ElsieD When my wife and I were in Central Vietnam for a week last summer, we ate Viet food all the time - I kept joking that I thought I had a tapeworm because I was always hungry - and after all that eating, I think I wound up losing like 5 pounds by the time I got home... it's the weirdest feeling to lose weight while on an eating vacation!  Then again, it was like 120degF every day, so maybe it was all water weight....

Bragger ¬¬

:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

74AAF1EC-768E-4100-8076-A1B061FA4572.thumb.jpeg.ec4f45c7a915cf906a09a342587aa6ed.jpeg

Vegetable korma. No Indian style bread in the house but a lovely flour tortilla brushed with spiced butter and gently heated worked very well. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

74AAF1EC-768E-4100-8076-A1B061FA4572.thumb.jpeg.ec4f45c7a915cf906a09a342587aa6ed.jpeg

Vegetable korma. No Indian style bread in the house but a lovely flour tortilla brushed with spiced butter and gently heated worked very well. 

This looks so good.  I want.

• Thanks 1

0F5B71F6-2D25-4683-905E-02EEBDF0D9D0.thumb.jpeg.800984ba7017b5e7cb0f51f8f08cb7a3.jpeg

Sourdough Boule and Herb Seasoned Olive Oil

8FA392B0-2F13-4A73-9565-904814011176.thumb.jpeg.332831a1c2c522d69dd8368876845d8c.jpeg

Spinach and Arugula Salad (plus Bacon, Chopped Egg, Avocado, Tomato, Mushrooms, Onion, Black Olives, and Craisins) with Hot Bacon Dressing

774431A1-1F39-4057-9DAC-525E8C840A7B.thumb.jpeg.c5343fa82d4fd20ca0a89d2f498febea.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

On a whim, and attracted by price, I picked up a can of frozen minced lobster...o.O Then, I didn't know what to do with it.
Today, Superstore had 3 oz. lobster tails on for $2.98, so on a whim, I picked up 4 of them.

Decided it was a good time to make lobster sauce with the minced stuff and the little "bodies", tomato puree, shallots, tomato paste, bell pepper, basil, mint, and parsley. Had some capers and fresh green peppercorns, so they all went in. I didn't cook the tails in the sauce...just sauteed the chunks in butter. Had this over Zeroodle mung bean noodles mixed with black bean noodles.

After seeing the mussels on previous page, I really wanted some. However, they didn't look too lively, but the Manila and Savory clams looked good. Steamed those up with lemongrass, cilantro, and white wine. Supper came together nicely but wayyy too many pans used!
                                                5a90e2cbe2d7d_LobsterSpaghetti2609.jpg.f3c1817a6977db6bfb27f8a3b07e25d7.jpg   

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

B and I went to Hakka Restaurant (4401 Cabrillo Street (45th Avenue)) in Outer Richmond.

We're definitely returning...

DSC04896.thumb.JPG.30b16987984d3a6f35c9e34238c9cf25.JPG

DSC04897.thumb.JPG.7081df3976cf64b626ac52b689b5e18b.JPG

DSC04898.thumb.JPG.26ab2e163a1d1c0c7d1ea7d550d82499.JPG

DSC04899.thumb.JPG.54f3b69986a8754e010fdfb404eab2bc.JPG

DSC04901.thumb.JPG.d148137f917f49b5a81f727486f5ecb0.JPG

DSC04902.thumb.JPG.1aef2bb5d654579eeb8885531d4d6d1b.JPG

The menu is voluminous. Pictured are most of the Hakka regional specialties and some of the Cantonese ones.

DSC04904.thumb.JPG.bdd248ddcaca820fd83bef5abfc9102d.JPG

Apparently they give you a complimentary bowl of soup as a sort of a first course. Tonight it was lovely chicken broth with shredded chicken and turnip. The broth was deeply flavored and redolent of garlic and ginger.

DSC04907.thumb.JPG.9ca433fb9c7057c410bd51eb92c2cfb9.JPG

Sautéed Chinese broccoli with rice wine.

DSC04910.thumb.JPG.3dba3b44b4b72c54821696d04cbf425f.JPG

Pork stomach with salted preserved vegetable.

Slightly chewy and crunchy with a touch of vinegar. Definitely addictive. There's that texture thing going on. B wasn't a fan but I loved it.

DSC04914.thumb.JPG.a5914792e4ffa1f2eb24b70fc7a21115.JPG

Home style steamed sea bass, served with black beans, garlic, ginger and scallion.

It was awesome.

DSC04919.thumb.JPG.ea00cc1a300abab58dd22836282d6685.JPG

Red bean soup.

Again, a complimentary bowl, served for dessert. Lightly sweet and just right.

Portions are huge. The total for all this food was $62, not including a 20% tip. We have tons of leftovers too.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Tonight, liver and bacon à la Chinoise.

Sliced pig liver marinated in soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, a tickle of cumin, salt and potato starch. Stir-fried sliced onions and green chillies, added liver and fried for about 90 seconds and finished with sesame oil, Chinese chives and coriander leaf. Served with rice and stir fried Shanghai boy choy.

liver1.thumb.jpg.aa2f5ed57c308324243a9623fe88e89a.jpg

liver2.thumb.jpg.8123aed809da46fa45ab87ed0bd13f03.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto