• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

13 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

chicken parmesan. I have some cruddy illness and could only eat a few bites.  I saved the leftovers for lunch tomorrow, optimistically thinking the crud will be gone by then.

So sorry, not that awful flu, I hope.  So many sick with it these days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

chicken parmesan. I have some cruddy illness and could only eat a few bites.  I saved the leftovers for lunch tomorrow, optimistically thinking the crud will be gone by then.

5a8233a2b158e_chickenparm.thumb.jpg.5b62d3b8d8a2434bf463cb40f618d7c5.jpg

We can only hope the crud is quickly gone. Best wishes.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Tabaka, Tkemali (red tonight), Ispanakhis Pkhali.  Steamed potatoes.  Bread.  Wine.  Whistlepig.  Move along, nothing you haven't seen before.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
puntuation...certainly not puntuality (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I know this won't appeal to the awful offal-phobes out there, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

kidney.thumb.jpg.929aa052b38a09c5a4ff8d3f482d5311.jpg

Pig's kidney with Dijon mustard, garlic, shallots, chilli, Shanghai Worcestershire sauce, cream and Chinese chives. Over rice with a side of wilted spinach.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Noodle bowls made with my goodies from the Asian market.

First time eating  both snow pea (leaves?  the snow peas were just starting to form--the bag says dau hoa lan snow peas).  Pictured at the upper left of the plate.  

IMG_4103.jpg.ce3be74b353a1a735322be3e18edbf04.jpg

Also the first time eating wonton noodles

IMG_4106.jpg.d8d45119f06e5681bb8619290db8e68f.jpg

Pork belly done in the Instant Pot

IMG_4104.JPG.262386d547ad4a0194ddcc429e12b95e.JPG

IMG_4105.JPG.55763177d65f88897d8111ada4d85eb7.JPG

I wished I had a bigger stomach.  Everything really hit my spot.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 1

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Noodle bowls made with my goodies from the Asian market.

First time eating  both snow pea (leaves?  the snow peas were just starting to form--the bag says dau hoa lan snow peas).  Pictured at the upper left of the plate.  

IMG_4103.jpg.ce3be74b353a1a735322be3e18edbf04.jpg

Also the first time eating wonton noodles

IMG_4106.jpg.d8d45119f06e5681bb8619290db8e68f.jpg

Pork belly done in the Instant Pot

IMG_4104.JPG.262386d547ad4a0194ddcc429e12b95e.JPG

IMG_4105.JPG.55763177d65f88897d8111ada4d85eb7.JPG

I wished I had a bigger stomach.  Everything really hit my spot.

@Shelby  That looks great.  Did you just wing it or did you follow a recipe ? 

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  That looks great.  Did you just wing it or did you follow a recipe ? 

I winged it.  I LOVE this brand/kind of broth and I stock up on it when I get to the Asian market.

IMG_4107.JPG.8e8856a7b174bdc51d1c4dc941f6b7ca.JPG

I've spent the time to make my own Pho broth--but it takes a long time and this tastes just as good (or better).  So, I get my cast iron screaming hot and sear the pork belly all around and then throw it in the pressure cooker with a can of this broth.  50 mins on high.  Natural release.  Then top with whatever veggies you have and a squirt or two of sriracha :)   Oh and noodles....rice noodles are what I usually use.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I winged it.  I LOVE this brand/kind of broth and I stock up on it when I get to the Asian market.

I've spent the time to make my own Pho broth--but it takes a long time and this tastes just as good (or better).  So, I get my cast iron screaming hot and sear the pork belly all around and then throw it in the pressure cooker with a can of this broth.  50 mins on high.  Natural release.  Then top with whatever veggies you have and a squirt or two of sriracha :)   Oh and noodles....rice noodles are what I usually use.  

I'm back at the Asian store today.  I am bringing my tablet as Liuzhou sent me a picture of an ingredient I should be looking for and I'll have yours then as well.  I want to try to make laksa.  Ever try that?

Edited by ElsieD
Corrected spelling of Liuzhou's name. (log)
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm back at the Asian store today.  I am bringing my tablet as Liouzou sent me a picture of an ingredient I should be looking for and I'll have yours then as well.  I want to try to make laksa.  Ever try that?

No, but I just googled and it's definitely something I would LOVE.  Can't wait to see yours and i'll add coconut milk to my list for next time.

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

I was in 4 different stores and couldn't find it in cans.  I did find a can of this which looks like it will do.  @Shelby do the ingredient lists match up at all?

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

@Shelby - did the snow pea leaves come like that or did you de-stem them?

Love snow pea shoots, but have never seen just the leaves like that!

Yes, I de-stemmed them.  Probably didn't have to....but I did.

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I was in 4 different stores and couldn't find it in cans.  I did find a can of this which looks like it will do.  @Shelby do the ingredient lists match up at all?

Here's a pic of the ingredients :)

IMG_4108.JPG.35ea2d9cdcaf62aded0250bc01ef8cf2.JPG

I don't use pork leg, though, just the belly xD

It's funny that the can of Viet soup comes from Thailand!  Then again, Hue is not far from Thailand - when we were driving around, our driver pointed out quite a few stores that sold cheap Thai goods (laundry detergent, other household products) and said that it's easy to bring in these products as it's a pretty short drive to Thailand from there, and it's a lot cheaper than the Viet made stuff - but the imports are hurting their economy.

• Like 1

I love snow pea shoots... the leaves and stems are really tasty as long as the stems are young enough that they are still tender.  One of these days I'm going to start growing them... I've had the seeds for half a year!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

I love snow pea shoots... the leaves and stems are really tasty as long as the stems are young enough that they are still tender.  One of these days I'm going to start growing them... I've had the seeds for half a year!

I really liked them too...but I think it would be hard for me to pick them before they made the snow peas.  Yes.  I'm weird lol.

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I really liked them too...but I think it would be hard for me to pick them before they made the snow peas.  Yes.  I'm weird lol.

That's easy to fix... the variety I have is bred specifically for tasty and tender shoots... who knows if it would even flower or fruit?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

That's easy to fix... the variety I have is bred specifically for tasty and tender shoots... who knows if it would even flower or fruit?

I had no idea such things existed!  Thank you!