• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Made a tri-tip, cooked SV for 8 hours.  It was salted and had 1 tsp of aging sauce and some dill seeds in the bag.  Boy was it tender and good.  Served with the last of the cole slaw, snap peas cooked ALV and sauteed riced cauliflower (frozen, from Costco) done in butter, salt, pepper and onion powder.

tt-riced-cauli.jpg.ba598d6a3e5b8d64c709e005d476f585.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Chicken in red curry  with cilantro, lime rice. I could not resist the urge to add a scant teaspoon of gouchujang to this. I used to add a bit of hot chili oil, but that only adds heat. The gochujang brings a bit more to the table.

HC

IMG_2117.thumb.JPG.8fd540300956a7e35069e5dcc867123d.JPGIMG_2119.thumb.JPG.1b2748ba762845e2ca655533d6c9dbd1.JPG

• Like 9

Simple veg stir fry for the Hubsters dinner tonight. Its not much but -basically he had all his protein for lunch and I was allowed all of his daily carb intake for dinner. This diet of his has really made me understand more about nutritional values if nothing else. It was good to be able to use some surprisingly high carb (at least to this novice) ingredients freely .

(Hello garlic my old friend, its nice to cook with you again...) 

Ps. Thats a small bowl. Not a plate. 

20180208_185909.thumb.jpg.0c53ace65324aec8f73f4ed3a085f96b.jpg

• Like 13

Thank you @heidih for the wonderful thread to okonomiyaki. (Do we have threads here for everything?) Being fairly new to eGullet I'm learning something new all the time and the more I learn the more I am glad I joined. I am about three-quarters of the way through the thread and I am in love with okonomiyaki. If I can pull this off, it will be my new alternative to frittata as a clean the fridge option. Since the topic was started in about 2003, many of the links have disappeared but I kept clicking on them just to see what would come up. I finally found one receipe that not only was a wealth of information, it gave a lot of tips for people that couldn't find the necessary ingredients such as tenkasu. I also learned that nagaimo is actually taro root which I can get here in my little local Feria (Farmers Market). As for the sauce and the mayonnaise, those I can make. Thank you, @kayb I will give the recipe that you gave me a try. Now all I have to do is go into San Jose to my favorite Chinese store and see if I can find the Dashi and I am all set to try this.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Formating error (log)

@TropicalseniorI have never seen dashi sold in a store - even in Japanese stores in NYC's little Tokyo.  But it's very easy to make - you need kombu (dried kelp),  katsuobushi (bonito flakes) and water...  There was a time years ago when I did a lot more cooking than I do now, and I would use dashi all the time as a basis for various sauces.  I made it using this method: http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=3040.html which may be a little over the top but made a nice product.

25 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@TropicalseniorI have never seen dashi sold in a store - even in Japanese stores in NYC's little Tokyo.  But it's very easy to make - you need kombu (dried kelp),  katsuobushi (bonito flakes) and water...  There was a time years ago when I did a lot more cooking than I do now, and I would use dashi all the time as a basis for various sauces.  I made it using this method: http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=3040.html which may be a little over the top but made a nice product.

Thank you, in other words, what I should be looking for is kombu (dried kelp) and  katsuobushi (bonito flakes) in which case, I may be out of luck. The last time that I tried to buy bonito flakes they sold me dried boniato which turned out to be dried sweet potato (in  Spanish). I'll just have to keep looking unless there's something I can substitute. Sometimes the joys of living in a foreign country just overwhelm me!

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you, in other words, what I should be looking for is kombu (dried kelp) and  katsuobushi (bonito flakes) in which case, I may be out of luck. The last time that I tried to buy bonito flakes they sold me dried boniato which turned out to be dried sweet potato (in  Spanish). I'll just have to keep looking unless there's something I can substitute. Sometimes the joys of living in a foreign country just overwhelm me!

As a substitute look for instant dashi powder in a jar or packet.  Something like this.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As a substitute look for instant dashi powder in a jar or packet.  Something like this.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that trying to find something like that down here is just the impossible dream. I would ask my grandson to bring it down when it comes next month but he's informed me that I've reached my limit of available space. He makes quick trips down here quite often and only brings a carry on. However, I have saved the page and I will put it down for a future trip

In the meantime, I have found a recipe for a mushroom Dashi and I think I'll give that a try. I'm not even sure if it can properly be called Dashi without the Bonito flakes.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
addition (log)

Smash Burgers for a  Thursday night dinner.

I ground some chuck steak, added S & P, a little rub mix, some fatty streaky bacon & finely chopped pickled green chili's.

IMG_20180208_195555.thumb.jpg.3e08519f5e3f77bcd91f9ccd43e1c647.jpg

We are happy gently rubbing our food babies.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Pappardelle with Chicken Livers & Rosemary from Melissa Clark's Dinner Changing the Game.

IMG_7079.thumb.jpg.64a8e98e031bec313b902ea4fcd183aa.jpg
My neighborhood Italian restaurant recently took their pasta with chicken liver, one of my favorites, off their menu so I have to learn to make it myself.  The book calls for a whole pound of chicken livers for 2 servings. I used about half that and it still seems like plenty o' liver to me. Lots of flavor from the shallots, rosemary, sherry, balsamic vinegar and, of course, the liver.  

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

8 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Your Mexican rice looks delicious. Would you be willing to share the recipe?

I had some leftover Mexican rice in the fridge and I had run across this recipe, so I made it....except I didn't add the corn or olives out of sheer laziness.  

Supermarket stuffed scallops and Greek salads. I thought I could bring those scallops to life with a pat of butter and a splash of dry sherry, but they needed more than that. On the brighter side, I now have 4 shells to use when I make them the way I think they should be made.

HC

IMG_2122.thumb.JPG.3450ed24f2803be361c005453c4235ca.JPGIMG_2123.thumb.JPG.143656515b3088d597259099d6255431.JPGIMG_2125.thumb.JPG.84f2d162e12c242bf38f2bba9744a3cd.JPG

• Like 9
  • Haha 2