• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I dont bake breads--but one thing about these flours.

I use about 62% hydrated dough roughly,  slow ferment 2-3 days in fridge or cool place ie Wine cellar--and I think they need high heat to cook.  Most Caputo ish 00 flou pizza's cook @ 750/900 plus ( I can do that on my grill out side )  But these are just pizza products'.. for me

My take :  But again I'm begging off to the more experts rumnning around here

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I once worked with a nice guy at a restaurant, who was later swept over the side of a fishing boat out of Point Judith in December, never to be seen again. Those folks work their a$$es off, sometimes in conditions that are hard to imagine and live pretty close to the edge financially as well..

HC

Don't I know it - many of those folks are basically nuts.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

So now I know of one place in Ontario that carries it which must mean that someone in these parts might.  Do you recall if it was a specialized brand or one of the well-known ones?

I don’t recall the brand but I do recall that it wasn’t anything I recognized.  I’m sure we will be in that store again as it is one of our favourites and I will look out for the cream. I do know it was extraordinarily expensive!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

B5F9CA77-8F29-46D3-B860-5E32D3B9CD09.thumb.jpeg.3d475ec87e8473df85a31cec55506439.jpeg

Very simple, fast dinner yesterday evening. Sausage and vegetable roast.  Potatoes, onion, carrot, and parsnips were simply tossed in oil and seasoned with salt and pepper before being roasted. Sausage was very plain pork breakfast version but it helped further season the vegetables. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Someone on Facebook asked "What did your mom make that you hated and never had again?"  That got me to thinking about mom's salmon croquettes. I wondered if my tastes had changed or if they would be better if made with fish that didn't come out of a can.  Charlie liked them. He said they reminded him of crab cakes but better and that they would make good sandwiches on a hamburger bun.  By the time I had two, I, myself, was over them. I will make them again if he asks. We had them with latkes from a box mix and a salad. I figured as long as I had the oil heated up, I might as well use up that box mix. 

20180130_171147.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

I started a nice pot of black bean soup with some ham stock from the freezer yesterday. As I was reheating it I was looking in the pot thinking I so don't even want to taste this for seasoning, finally as it started to steam I forced myself. It was pretty damn good, just a little salt, a red chile from the freezer and I buzzed half in the blender.....ooops then I added cubed left over smoked pork from last nights dinner

IMG_4329.JPG

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)
  • Like 12

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

On 1/29/2018 at 3:00 PM, robirdstx said:

@Kim Shook

Here is the basic recipe I use. I have had this recipe for almost 20 years and do not remember where I found the original, but I think it called for canned chicken. Fresh chicken, cooked on the bone, gives a much better flavor and texture, IMO.

Hot Chicken and Artichoke Spread

Crazy coincidence! I just picked up a can of artichoke hearts on a whim! I have never bought them before. Now I have a recipe to try! Thanks @robirdstx!

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Had picked up bell peppers of various colours but can't remember why!

My fridge is becoming a challenge. like my freezer WAS.

Had half a lb. of ground beef thawed in the fridge, so I sauteed some chopped onion, mushrooms, added spicy taco seasoning, and threw it all into a hot pan for a quick stir stir. Added the ground beef, a couple of chipotle in adobo, and a couple tbsps of homemade salsa. I heated up the meat but didn't brown the meat. Spooned some of the mixture into bell pepper halves, topped with shredded habanero cheddar cheese, and baked for 30 minutes. Topped it with more cheese and broiled for a couple more minutes.

Had 2 ripe avocados intended to be filled with crab salad. Didn't get done, so made a salad with chunky cukes, cherry tomatoes, sliced radishes, red onion, cilantro, and chunked up avocado and lime juice. A sprinkle of chili/lime seasoning and supper was ready!

5a714a0761ce3_Stuffedpeppers2411.jpg.b54111ac908b7b33364953e8b8f2d926.jpg

• Like 15

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Japanese curry...

Dinner01312018.png

Previously unused picture from the same batch a few nights ago.  Sorry.

Found a bottle of sake in the refrigerator.  Yes, I know it is coothless to serve sake with rice, but I claim my right as a barbarian.  Besides, I have a seldom used sake cup (old picture):

Sake04212017.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Uncouth, "deconstructed"? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Fish and chips.

Bought then gutted, de-scaled and filleted a red drum. Beer batter with chilli powder. Triple cooked chips.

Just what the doctor didn't order. This is half of my repast. Went back for the second fillet and more chips.

5a71b00f96933_fishn.thumb.jpg.52c0cf0cf733b0cc948a778ad96c4a1c.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Nor in the OED or any other dictionary. I'm going with it being a typo for "toothless"!

:rolleyes:

Nope.  I think she meant exactly what she said. Coothless. Uncouth. If the word doesn’t exist then it should.xD 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Nope.  I think she meant exactly what she said. Coothless. Uncouth. If the word doesn’t exist then it should.xD 

You're right . Look how many words Shakespeare added to our language. One of our members should be able to add at least one. That's what keeps the English language relevant and ever-growing.

• Like 2

I hate to say this but if you look up coothless on Google with "defintion", the fourth entry is from a hate site. The first time I looked it up, only a little while ago, it was third. So while we all know what it means, and I admit to looking up the definition of couth some time ago, cuz I'd heard and read uncouth, but never couth ... Perhaps this word should be retired.

First of all, it's not a "real" word and seems to be used on a lot of hate sites. (See link) I'm not faulting Jo. I know she's extremely erudite and just using a term that everyone understands, as I have done many times. I love creating language!

Back to topic, the dinner tonight was a large Romaine, cocktail tomato, white onion, carrot done in curls with a vegetable peeler and pepper salad. This was dressed with olive oil, vinegar, pomegranate molasses, salt and pepper. This was followed with a large serving of red beans and rice and  a Pepperidge Farm Apple Turnover. 

It took me almost an hour to make the salad from my wheelchair, but it was worth it.

Other dinners have been pork spareribs cooked in my crockpot. That in itself is a challenge and the IP,  which is even heavier is out of the picture so long as I can't walk around and carry things freely. I had baked butternut squash with this along with briefly boiled broccoli with cheddar cheese.

I try to eat a lot of dairy for the calcium and canned smoked sardines have featured as a protein frequently for the Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, calcium and protein, but I have to tell you, that while I crave these occasionally, they can get old if you try to eat them too much.

I'm enjoying the cornbread I cooked earlier and froze. I slather it with butter and, oh man, it is good, reheated in the CSO.

I am going to have to sharpen my knife. It's really dangerously dull. I haven't done this since I was injured in early November, and this is on my to do list for tomorrow. I will need to figure out the best way to do it, sitting or standing on one foot, but it's getting done before I injure myself further. Bet on it. :)

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

I made some char siu bao (Chinese barbecued pork buns) for dinner tonight. I'm going to serve them with some stir-fried vegetables and cantaloupe. I found some beautiful sweet cantaloupe at our Chinese market today.

20180131_141534.thumb.jpg.859c6841546fc4f9821b1017a2cb6586.jpg

One of the buns leaked a little bit. I couldn't possibly serve it so I decided to have it for lunch. Quality control, you know. It was so good! It tasted just like the ones that I used to get at the ‘Piece of Cake’ Chinese Bakery in the International District in Seattle. I used  this recipe. It's the best one that I have ever found for these and I make my own Chinese BBQ pork.

20180131_143616.thumb.jpg.7b3d13054c07fef5431fb9681f8ef6ca.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

(dressed with kraut)

Those hot dogs look so good and I like everything else on the plate but I do so hate sauerkraut. My little German grandmother used to make four or five huge crocks of it every year. I'm telling you, people, it's just rotten cabbage. I couldn't go within a block of her house until it was all finished and canned up in jars. I got deathly sick just from the smell. I've never been able to understand how anyone could eat that stuff.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Those hot dogs look so good and I like everything else on the plate but I do so hate sauerkraut. My little German grandmother used to make four or five huge crocks of it every year. I'm telling you, people, it's just rotten cabbage. I couldn't go within a block of her house until it was all finished and canned up in jars. I got deathly sick just from the smell. I've never been able to understand how anyone could eat that stuff.

LOL.  Funny, but I detest cooked cabbage.  I only like it pickled or raw.  :D

• Like 1