• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

3 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

pork shoulder

I always try to get this cut if I can. It has more marbling and more flavor. And actually this is what they called the Boston butt or the pork butt.. seems rather strange but the pork butt is from the front shoulder of the pig.

• Like 2

She also calls for a ham hock but I skipped that.

After the soup has cooked - three hours of simmering, mind you - take the meat out and shred it, then return to the pot. If serving the meat and vegetables separately, accompaniments are salt, black pepper and mustard.

B and I are headed to Austin later in the year to celebrate a niece's wedding. I'm thinking of replicating either this or pot-au-feu for his parents.

• Like 1

27164428_1778643935519682_8542811518054649478_o.thumb.jpg.277b2921117b50eb090b2d686ff73971.jpg

For Saturday dinner, we went to this steakhouse in Daly City to celebrate a friend's birthday.

I should've gotten the steaks or lamb chops but I wasn't really feeling it w/r/t red meat. I had the baby back ribs and was sorry I had ordered them. Meat was dry at times and the sauce a touch too sweet. Coleslaw might as well have been shredded cabbage with mayonnaise - no acidity, barely any seasoning, completely devoid of interest. French fries were the best thing on the plate.

PS. I needed to clean my lens on my camera, hence the blurriness at middle left and bottom right.

27355767_1778648345519241_7327174067351400319_o.thumb.jpg.b87003eb069e1c233933826a8535474d.jpg

Then we went back home and had dessert.

Tres leches cake from a (new to us) bakery in the Mission. Served with homemade vanilla ice cream (pic not shown), brandy, coffee (for B and our guests) and Laotian ginger tea (for me).

The ice cream consisted of 1 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 3 cups cream, 1 cup milk and 1/2 vanilla bean. It was awesome! There was a "clean" flavor that just isn't present in commercial product.

I gotta tell you, the days of shelling out $5 for a pint of Häagen-Dazs are over.

Edited by ProfessionalHobbit (log)
  • Like 9

@Kim Shook

Here is the basic recipe I use. I have had this recipe for almost 20 years and do not remember where I found the original, but I think it called for canned chicken. Fresh chicken, cooked on the bone, gives a much better flavor and texture, IMO.

Hot Chicken and Artichoke Spread

Ingredients:

- 1 teaspoon butter, for coating gratin dish

- 2 cups cooked chicken breast meat, shredded 

- 14 ounces artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

- 1 cup mayonnaise

- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese

- 1 garlic clove (or to taste), crushed and chopped fine

- 1 dash cayenne pepper (or to taste)

- tortilla chips for dipping

Directions:

1. Lightly coat gratin dish with butter and set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350℉.

3. Mix next six ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and spoon into gratin dish.

4. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes.

5. Serve warm with tortilla chips.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Hot Chicken and Artichoke Spread

Thanks for the recipe. Personally, I can't stand artichokes myself. I think they're slimy. But I have a dear friend, a California girl, who is always looking for artichoke recipes. I'm sending this straight to her.

• Like 1

Chicken Marsala Florentine, roasted cauliflower - fairly quick supper - low cal and low carb

5a7007efdccd2_ChickenMarsala2406.jpg.27a154e8ab41e29e5afd8cab6456835e.jpg

Last night: Shrimp Egg Foo Young and steamed ground beef with Sechuan pickled vegetable ( Cha-choy) on one side. The other half is also ground beef but with salted fermented mustard greens (mu choy) with hot pepper and mint leaves.       

5a7008ccee0e3_ShrimpEggFooYoung2379.jpg.671996af9c159d28fc5ac32af73563fd.jpg

5a7008cc609f7_SechuanPreservedVegGroundBeef2376.jpg.460996bb276e8b01aa17ae390cce4b10.jpg

• Like 19

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Meat Bagel

This is a riff from Ditch the Wheat Blog:

http://ditchthewheat.com/meat-bagels/

I added garlic and onion saute to the mix of ground chicken Thigh meat

Dressed  --Yellow onion slice/ Radish topped/ pickles/hot sauce

39983813541_e20ae51654_o.thumb.jpg.68283e8593ba74f7cb2858c2772f841e.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

18 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Beautiful pasta. Have you tried any with semolina?   This is my Flour--it creates a softer pasta,  I plan to work up to trying different grinds

39953221582_3181a66c4d_b.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1

Its good to have Morels

On 1/29/2018 at 1:25 AM, HungryChris said:

I found this 1 pound, day boat, Point Judith cod fillet today, and fish and chips was suddenly on the menu. I managed to make a pretty good meal out of it, but took a few crappy pictures.

Wow, @HungryChris...nice enough for them to go out fishing in the middle of January - awesome.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

39953221582_3181a66c4d_b.jpg

Describing the product as non-GMO is somewhat disingenuous, given that there's no GMO what grown commercially. 

ETA: Though there is a distinct irony in one that's received some potential market interest...

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2017/10/02/Genetically-modified-wheat-variety-used-to-make-celiac-friendly-bread-Study

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, weinoo said:

Wow, @HungryChris...nice enough for them to go out fishing in the middle of January - awesome.

I once worked with a nice guy at a restaurant, who was later swept over the side of a fishing boat out of Point Judith on a December night, never to be seen again. Those folks work their a$$es off, sometimes in conditions that are hard to imagine and live pretty close to the edge financially as well..

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

19 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

27164428_1778643935519682_8542811518054649478_o.thumb.jpg.277b2921117b50eb090b2d686ff73971.jpg

For Saturday dinner, we went to this steakhouse in Daly City to celebrate a friend's birthday.

I should've gotten the steaks or lamb chops but I wasn't really feeling it w/r/t red meat. I had the baby back ribs and was sorry I had ordered them. Meat was dry at times and the sauce a touch too sweet. Coleslaw might as well have been shredded cabbage with mayonnaise - no acidity, barely any seasoning, completely devoid of interest. French fries were the best thing on the plate.

PS. I needed to clean my lens on my camera, hence the blurriness at middle left and bottom right.

27355767_1778648345519241_7327174067351400319_o.thumb.jpg.b87003eb069e1c233933826a8535474d.jpg

Then we went back home and had dessert.

Tres leches cake from a (new to us) bakery in the Mission. Served with homemade vanilla ice cream (pic not shown), brandy, coffee (for B and our guests) and Laotian ginger tea (for me).

The ice cream consisted of 1 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 3 cups cream, 1 cup milk and 1/2 vanilla bean. It was awesome! There was a "clean" flavor that just isn't present in commercial product.

I gotta tell you, the days of shelling out $5 for a pint of Häagen-Dazs are over.

What is the fat content of the cream you used?

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Here is what I found a month or so ago.

20180130_092557.thumb.jpg.be59bfd3ad79c6ca17722fa874816651.jpg
Finding good flour in Costa Rica is like pulling hen's teeth. Gold medal is always available and will always do in a pinch but everything else is, ‘now you find it now you don't’. For bread, I have currently been using Great Plains from Canada but it is getting harder and harder to find. The only other flour here is grown and processed in Central America. All soft wheat flour. You need cold weather to grow hard wheat and they just don't have it. I found this wheat from Italy a short time back and bought it thinking that since it was 00 that it would be good for bread. So far I have been pretty disappointed in my results and then I noticed it was tenero and realized it must also be soft wheat. I make really good bread but I am by no means, an educated baker. I need help! Have you got any hints on how to use this to get the most out of it? I currently have about 8 kilos of this in my freezer. I have to keep it there to keep the cooties out of it. It says that it's for pizza which means that it should make good bread, too.

50 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What is the fat content of the cream you used?

It's Clover Sonoma's heavy whipping cream:  https://cloversonoma.com/inventory/heavy-whipping-cream/

There’s nothing like the real thing. With its decadent taste and texture, our whipped cream is rBST- and antibiotic-free, and has a minimum  40% butter fat. Fresh pasteurized,  never ultra pasteurized, for optimal quality and superior whip, it is your first choice for baking.

23 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  Sadly, I have never seen it available in Canada.  Maybe an American eGulleter can tell me if it or it's equivalent is readily available in the States?

I believe @Kerry Beal and I found 40% cream here in Burlington at Marilu’s. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I believe @Kerry Beal and I found 40% cream here in Burlington at Marilu’s. 

So now I know of one place in Ontario that carries it which must mean that someone in these parts might.  Do you recall if it was a specialized brand or one of the well-known ones?

• Like 1