• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Today we took a vineyard tour that included a wine tasting meal at Castillo Di Verrazano, not far from where we are staying in Greve, in Chianti,

Italy. It was kind of an exciting day as it was the first day of the 2018 harvest, which consisted of the lowest elevation grapes, which are white grapes, used for Vin Santo wine. 

OK, it's time for a small confession. I put a small pair of scissors in the car and pulled over on the way back up the hill to our apartment, while Deb, my accomplice, did a bit of early harvest, herself. These Sangiovese grapes were not destined for wine, but rather a bit of dessert after what I knew would be a small meal tonight.

We were both still not hungry enough for a big meal. Bruschetta, olives, and a bit of brie cheese (followed by grapes....shhhhh).

HC

P9100349.thumb.JPG.dd345c7fe151915fd0d18b9ecf25b0d8.JPG380676942_41447965_2460951660596518_5795270329647497216_n1.thumb.jpg.2833534759e399a5d577653199dade74.jpg

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Today we took a vineyard tour that included a wine tasting meal at Castillo Di Verrazano, not far from where we are staying in Greve, in Chianti,

Italy. It was kind of an exciting day as it was the first day of the 2018 harvest, which consisted of the lowest elevation grapes, which are white grapes, used for Vin Santo wine. 

OK, it's time for a small confession. I put a small pair of scissors in the car and pulled over on the way back up the hill to our apartment, while Deb, my accomplice, did a bit of early harvest, herself. These Sangiovese grapes were not destined for wine, but rather a bit of dessert after what I knew would be a small meal tonight.

We were both still not hungry enough for a big meal. Bruschetta, olives, and a bit of brie cheese (followed by grapes....shhhhh).

HC

P9100349.thumb.JPG.dd345c7fe151915fd0d18b9ecf25b0d8.JPG380676942_41447965_2460951660596518_5795270329647497216_n1.thumb.jpg.2833534759e399a5d577653199dade74.jpg

I have a pair of Italian grape harvesting shears.  Had you asked I could have loaned them.  I have three grape vines.  I have never so much as seen a grape.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a pair of Italian grape harvesting shears.  Had you asked I could have loaned them.  I have three grape vines.  I have never so much as seen a grape.

One thing I learned today, is that well drained, sandy soil, dried cows blood and lime are all miracle workers when it comes to grapes. As a side note, I have a rose bush that I planted for my ex. I showered it with all manor of sure fire rose food, but it wasn't until 3 weeks after she moved out, that I saw my first rose (and hundreds more).

Don't give up!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

Dry-rubbed country-style boneless ribs and pearl couscous with spinach. This was my first time cooking pork with the immersion circulator and my first really long cook (155 F for 21 hours). The pork turned out beautifully, I'll definitely have to make this again.

IMG_5214.thumb.jpg.23dbc52f0a152cb06273b5bbc75f1fd4.jpg

Edited by chord (log)
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I like to think of it more as a small, unauthorized quality control effort, but yes, they were very good!

HC

When I see that (word escapes me) bloom? white? on the grapes I anticipate good flavor. Great stuff y'all are posting from your trip. 

16 hours ago, HungryChris said:

HC

Awesome posts and thank you for taking us along with you on your journey...

You mentioned in another thread you cannot get pecorino back home, and yet while in Italy, you are eating brie!?

Surely there are some ancient local laws for such egregious offenses!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Awesome posts and thank you for taking us along with you on your journey...

You mentioned in another thread you cannot get pecorino back home, and yet while in Italy, you are eating brie!?

Surely there are some ancient local laws for such egregious offenses!

We can get aged pecorino at home, just not fresh. We do buy fresh pecorino as well as brie. The cheeses are all good and quite reasonably priced here. Brie is a favorite stand alone cheese for both of us, fresh pecorino needs company, in our opinion and after a big day of food exploring, sometimes simple is better.

HC

• Like 2

Several years ago I made Ina Garten's Beef Bourguignon recipe here.

It was unbelievably wonderful albeit, for me,  pretty labor intensive but well worth the effort.

I haven't made the recipe since for various reasons but it was a truly memorable meal.

• Like 1

2070B053-04B9-4922-9B65-D40A094BCA1E.thumb.jpeg.6660a05a02e4ab7216235f8c1052d9c2.jpeg

Seven-Spice Chicken from Japan: The Cookbook and a salad with a miso dressing.  The chicken was so simple and so good. Boneless,  skin-on chicken thighs sprinkled with a mixture of salt and shishimi togarishi, left to rest in the fridge for 4 hours (I skipped that part) then rubbed with a little roasted sesame oil before being skewered and roasted at 450°F. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

We had Shrimp Creole with rice.  

The recipe is said to be from Emeril when he was still at Commander's Palace. 

Did you like it?  I am having it for dinner tonight!  We must both subscribe to Food and Wine 🙂  I hope it was good--I made the sauce last night so there's no going back now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Assorted sandwiches.  Prosciutto, gruyere and fig jam

1993572422_proscuittosandwich.thumb.jpg.46655e8a733b29b72d6decd2e7b4f668.jpg

Crab burger with lemon-dill aioli

851248855_crabburger.thumb.jpg.6754862333db47ad55e6e39f986c0a73.jpg

Mushroom, bacon, gruyere and arugula

2126912096_mushroomsandiwch.thumb.jpg.5c04ddf7b85a594dde56c3286fc06a73.jpg

Steak, arugula, parmesan and truffle butter

212858833_steaksandwich.thumb.jpg.3910862c4aacf2eedd0f2f62b6e60b01.jpg

I do love a good sandwich for dinner.   Looks Fantastic